Bathroom Plumbing Leaks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2003, 07:16 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bathroom Plumbing Leaks

Hi everyone....

Well, I have to look at it as the cup half full (even though leaking!). I found the water pump was fine, that's great news.

OTOH, I also found that the shower faucet, shower head and toilet leaking like "old faithfull". To combat this, I bought a new shower faucet. Easy enough to replace I think. I haven't turned the water on yet, so I am wanting to make sure the toilet doesn't erupt again.

My question is this. You know the water line that comes from the living area and screws into the toilet? I think it has a 3/4" ID and is under the light switch on the bottom of the bathroom wall?

Well, when I unscrewed it (water OFF this time!), I noticed that it was without a washer. I am wondering what type of washers go in there and why it is missing. Could that dictate that the pipes are blown from too much water pressure? I hope not.

I see flat type washers in the shower attachments, so I am thinking the same for the toilet? Are there any sleeves involved in that setup at the toilet screw?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 10:44 PM   #2

Hi folks,

Having more experience with trailer toilet plumbing than I'd like, but none with a Casita, I may be on thin ice here. IF you have a standard RV toilet, the tubing going to the toilet is usually 1/2 in. pex, a translucent plastic tubing that's fairly stiff. The toilet fitting connects to the pex via a compression nut and to the toilet via a 1/2 in. NPT hand nut and conical washer to the toilet spud. These washers are slightly different from standard supply line washers you find in a hardware store (although those might work). Any RV place should have lots.

Hard to say why the washer is missing but a thorough check of all piping and fittings, under pressure should reveal any more leaks.

BTW, we encountered 95 psi water in one campground last trip, a fact I didn't learn about until I noticed water running out from under the trailer. We'd blown the flex hose to the pump off its fitting. Now, I should know better, but the regulator that should have been on the faucet was in my tool box. If you don't have one, get one, a good one, and use it. I also rigged up a pressure gauge so I really know what's going on.

Bill

Old 06-19-2003, 11:12 PM   #3

Hi Bill
Good point made on water reducing pressure regulator.Water pressure is not the same at all campgrounds.Be prepared and have your pressure regulator on the water outlet feeding your RV.

Old 06-20-2003, 08:15 AM   #4

Bill- thanks for the answers on that. I found that to be the case. I replaced the shower faucet and found the culprit of my toilet leak. It was the nut that screws on into the back of the toilet.

Of course, while looking I snapped it off the pipe and had to splice and add a few inches on after I did all this. The older pipe was 1/2" ID (grey, very hard to deal with with metal clamps) and the guy at the store looked at the old nut and thought it was 3/8". I had purchased 3/8" pipe already. So, back to the store for a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter. The new pipe (3/8" ) is white/clear and much easier to handle. The connectors now are a breeze, you just heat the pipe (turns clear) and then push it on the fitting, screw it down and you are done. It shrinks around the fitting and the screw tightens it up. Since the down sizing is far enough away from the pump, the pressure should not be a concern (that's what the RV store told me at least!).

I do have a water pressure regulator and plan on using that when I hook into the system at the campground.

Old 06-20-2003, 09:56 PM   #5

that white pipe sounds really convenient. someone else wrote about it and liked working with it, too. I'll have to try some. I hate that gray stuff. I know hates a harsh word, but that's just the way it is. :yep

Tags
leaks, plumbing leaks