Bigfoot LP Regulator - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #15

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Ok! My regulator has a little plastic cover over it so I haven't taken a close look yet but I'll pull that off and get familiar with it soon.

So much to do/learn!
Is-it like this?
Attached Images

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #16

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
This
Attached Thumbnails
image1.JPG   image2.JPG  

Old 02-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
That does look so different, it might be really old - I can't tell. I would not look for any particular brand, I think all modern regulators are highly evolved in terms of safety features and reliability, in order to meet all requirements and standards. The automatic switch-over is the way to go.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:48 PM   #18

Montana
Registry
I have to assume its vintage is about...1991
Old 02-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #19

Quebec
Registry
When we bought our Bigfoot 1986 last year, there was a similar regulator to yours, which I replaced before using, to at least be certain that it would work and safely.

We do not know the history of previous owners and I do not want to be part of history, at least, not right away ...

I do not like to take any chances with the gas. I bought a propane gas detector and a smoke detector, before using the first time.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:05 PM   #20

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
There are two schools of thought on the auto-switch regulators.
Those who like the convenience and protection from running out in the middle of the night. They need to check fairly often.
And those who don't like them because you don't know when it switches over and could let both tanks run out. They are willing to chance a middle of the night inconvenience (trauma?) in exchange for avoiding running both tanks out.
So far I've followed the second school.

Whichever way you go, replacing that old one would be wise.

Walt
Old 02-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #21

Quebec
Registry
Over time I noticed that when the container used is about to be empty, there is a slight smell of gas that collects when using the interior stove or that is circulating around the fireplace water heater on or near the fireplace heating ...

At that time I watch more closely if the transfer is done automatically.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #22

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
It is a trade off, like pretty much everything we do. My experience is that even during our spring or fall trips (using the furnace) each tank will last at least 4-5 days. The indicator on the regulator does show that it switched, so looking at it once a day is enough.

No, I do not have a nice cover hiding those hideous tanks, but I ignore them except that once per day check.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:52 PM   #23

Montana
Registry
Ok thanks for that comparison. Yeah I was starting to think the auto switching was kind of an unnecessary luxury, but then I though "why not?". But both sides definitely make good sense to me.

I rarely run my heat at night. Actually I've never run my heat at night. Even down to the teens (F), I just bundle up, then kick on the heat when I get up in the morning.

Something like this would be good? If I decide to go auto.

And yes, Gilles, you're right. Lp is one of those things I shouldn't leave to chance. Upgrading the regulator right away is a good call.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #24

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
If your fridge runs on propane, it is good that the propane switches over, especially if you are in the desert and away for the day, touring local brew pubs.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:42 AM   #25

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
You have the same trailer I have, I only open one tank so will always have propane. I did replace my regulator as the old one failed/ started leaking.

Next move I may take another look at fiberglass tanks for replacement of those steel tanks.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:05 AM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
There are two schools of thought on the auto-switch regulators.
Those who like the convenience and protection from running out in the middle of the night. They need to check fairly often.
And those who don't like them because you don't know when it switches over and could let both tanks run out. They are willing to chance a middle of the night inconvenience (trauma?) in exchange for avoiding running both tanks out.
So far I've followed the second school. Walt
I'm with you Walt, not a fan of auto valves and I've never run out of LP in the RV in over 30 years. Sure can't say the same for the home BBQ though and that caused me a lot bigger problem than running out in the trailer would have but pulling one off the trailer saved the day.....and the steaks .
Old 02-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #27

Montana
Registry
Ok, thanks. I do spend time in the desert but I've never run out of propane. But my last tank, being a permanently installed horizontal tank, had a fairly accurate gauge so I always knew when it was time to head to town for a refill.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:31 AM   #28

Montana
Registry
Alright a couple more questions...

I was looking at a Marshall regulator. But there are different models, with no easy-to-find description of how they differ. Model 250, 253, 254...I don't know the difference..?

They seem to have fewer bad reviews than Camco.

Then there are the pigtails. I figure why not replace those? My tanks have the internal thread, so the pigtails need to have external thread. A lot of what I'm seeing that people typically buy with these auto switchover regulators are pigtails with internal threads.

So how are most RV propane tanks set up? Internal or external threads? If my tanks are just really old and will need to be replaced soon, I don't want to buy pigtails that work for them, then need to buy new ones again soon.

Anyway...let me know.

Thanks.

Tags
bigfoot