Old 02-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #29

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Alright a couple more questions...

I was looking at a Marshall regulator. But there are different models, with no easy-to-find description of how they differ. Model 250, 253, 254...I don't know the difference..?

They seem to have fewer bad reviews than Camco.

Then there are the pigtails. I figure why not replace those? My tanks have the internal thread, so the pigtails need to have external thread. A lot of what I'm seeing that people typically buy with these auto switchover regulators are pigtails with internal threads.

So how are most RV propane tanks set up? Internal or external threads? If my tanks are just really old and will need to be replaced soon, I don't want to buy pigtails that work for them, then need to buy new ones again soon.

Anyway...let me know.

Thanks.
After a search on the net, I remark on the different models of controllers that you specify, it is the difference in the gas flow at the regulator output.

I believe that a technician for propane could tell you the choice to make to your propane equipment used ...
Probably in RV parts stores, you might be well run.

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #30

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I have the Marshall.
When a tank runs out, the indicator goes red. You can see from pic that one tank is empty and one is full. The lever indicates which tank is empty, but the auto switch over is feeding from the full tank. This is especially handy in the middle of the night when running the furnace or when it's 45 minutes on a gravel road to get propane.
I can then close the tank that the lever is pointing to, move the lever to the full tank, remove the empty and take it to be filled while the full tank continues to run the fridge and furnace.
If you are going to replace these parts and the tank, I would replace with auto change over.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto propane switchover.jpg  

Old 02-20-2016, 06:42 PM   #31

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Alright. I just went with the one model they sell at an RV store, figuring it ought to be right for an RV...

Looking around, it looks like new tanks aren't really very expensive either, so that's nice to see. Especially compared to the horizontal tank I used to have.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:45 AM   #32

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Then there are the pigtails. I figure why not replace those? My tanks have the internal thread, so the pigtails need to have external thread. A lot of what I'm seeing that people typically buy with these auto switchover regulators are pigtails with internal threads.
I think I read somewhere that the (very) old tanks had only the internal, Left Hand thread. The new ones have both the internal LH and the external RH (square profile) threads. The outside thread is much more convenient. You need an open end wrench for the pigtail with the internal thread.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:00 AM   #33

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Alright, thanks.

I'll be getting new tanks and pigtails next.

Tags
bigfoot