Bigfoot sewer and water - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #15

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Thanks, I'll get under there and locate all that stuff next week.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
Zach
On mine, the water heater and bypass are inside, under the front bench, driver side.
The fresh water tank is underneath and just behind the axle and the drain tube is easily visible, also on the driver side.

Walt

Old 03-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #17

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
One of the great tips I learned on this forum is to put a couple of bags of ice cubes into the black water tank by flushing them down the toilet.

The ice cubes break up waste matter when I am driving my RV to the dump station.

Linda
Old 03-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #18

Montana
Registry
I think I saw that mentioned somewhere while I was looking around...Yeah, sounds like a great idea!

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #19

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
There was a video posted here some time ago where they used a clear plastic tank and ice cubes to show that the technique was totally ineffective. They drove the tank around in the back of a pickup truck and the ice cubes just sloshed around and didn't clean the tank at all.

Here's the link to the video. Make up your own mind after watching:
Old 03-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Rhinoflex is the only sewer hose I know of that is black with orange fittings at the ends.
The Rhinoflex is my preferred slinky hose as well. Packs up well. But the hose part on mine is actually brown not black.

They are solid in a lot of places even Walmart carries them locally.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:31 AM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I converted our Casita hot water tank to electric. Almost 4 months of steady use now and very happy with it. Dave, I was told by another Casita owner that the vent kit from LHC helps the grey tank drain quicker.

You're right Bob and I installed LHC vent kit, but I did that when I first got the trailer. Never used the tank before I did the mod so I have no comparison for speed. I will say that it's still way slower than any RV I've had before.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #22

Montana
Registry
Just getting back to this thread...I may or may not have a lot more questions soon as I plan to use all my systems this coming week.

One thing I'm wondering now, after "filling" my fresh water tank: how do I know when it's full? In my Bigfoot, the tank is under the couch, and the way the couch is setup with the slide-out bed, I can only see the water tank through some storage cabinet openings, which happen to be jammed full of all my stuff. There's no (as far as I know) real "access" to the fresh water tank. The seat over it is screwed down.

So do I just fill it until it overflows? I had issues in my last camper with some leaking, if the water was so full that it was all the way up into the fill tube. But if that's the way to do it, that's the way I'll do it...

Other questions:

Is if fine to leave the water pump "on"? Or should I only turn it on when I need to run a faucet?

All my lines are dry. To get water to the hot water heater, do I just turn on the pump, then run the hot water in the faucet? And that will pull water from the tank, to the water heater? So once water comes out of the faucet, the water heater is full?

I bought some non-formaldehyde enzyme packets for the toilet. From what I hear, I just need to run a little water down the toilet, then throw one in. Then it's business as usual, more or less. Dumping will be the scary part...

I could get away with not using my shower or toilet, but I'm down in southern Utah for a couple weeks and figure now's a good time to just go ahead and use everything and start learning how it works.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I fill the water storage tank until it overflows under the trailer. I know of no simple way to monitor how much is in the tank. I leave the water pump "on". The pump senses a drop in pressure when a faucet is opened and starts up. As long as the pressure is up inside the lines it should shut itself down. I follow your method with black water chemicals. I can't help with water heater info. My trailer don't have one.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:30 AM   #24

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
[QUOTE=ZachO;580718]Just getting back to this thread...I may or may not have a lot more questions soon as I plan to use all my systems this coming week.

Other questions:

Is if fine to leave the water pump "on"? Or should I only turn it on when I need to run a faucet?

All my lines are dry. To get water to the hot water heater, do I just turn on the pump, then run the hot water in the faucet? And that will pull water from the tank, to the water heater? So once water comes out of the faucet, the water heater is full?

I normally only turn the pump on when I need it.

Yes for the hot water heater your pump will charge the line so open the faucet and wait for the water to flow.

Something else I do is when I turn on the propane I always light one burner on the stove before lighting the hot water tank to get the air out of the system seems to make starting the pilot light for the heater easier.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:01 AM   #25

Montana
Registry
Great, thanks.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
If you're hooked up to campground water, you don't need the water pump.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post

If there is water in your fresh tank as soon as you turn on the water pump it will fill your hot water tank from the water in the fresh tank or if your hooked up to City water the tank with automatically fill (assuming you have no bypass values stopping it from doing that).

If all your water supply is completely empty and your filling the hot water tank your best to go outside and open the relief valve in the outside hot water tank hatch. Once the water starts to flow fully out of the valve, the hot water tank is full. The danger of not doing that is that you run the risk of ending up with a hot water tank half full of air . With lots of air in the hot water tank, when you turn the tap on it will put a lot of pressure on the old inside plumping causing pipe/connections as it burps/spits out all the air.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #28

Montana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
If you're hooked up to campground water, you don't need the water pump.
Never!!

Well, almost never, and definitely not on my budget for this trip. Basically, I have a job starting in May and I'm living in the camper in the desert until then. Paying for hookups...might as well be paying for a hotel room.

I fill up, head to the middle of nowhere, then head back into the nearest town when things get low.

So far my biggest screw-up: I thought I put a ton of water in the fresh water tank. Got to camp and moved a few things out of the way to look at it...not even half full! And you don't even want to know how low it is after running the pump and filling the hot water heater.

So, lesson learned...fill it up completely. If I'm going to be out for a very long time, fill it completely, then run the pump to fill the hot water tank, then top off the fresh water tank.

Tags
bigfoot