Bigfoot toilet upgrade - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
I learned recently that Sutton RV orders their Bigfoot TTs with a china toilet upgrade. A phone call to the dealership revealed that the upgrade is a Thetford, but I couldn't find out which model. My guess from photos of the upgrade is the Aqua Magic Style Plus. Does anyone know if this is correct? Anyone out there with a china toilet in a 17 footer?

Another possibility for the swap is a Sealand Traveler. We had one in our Casita and were happy with it. On the negative side, the Sealand toilets have 4 mounting bolts requiring a flange swap or an adapter. A Thetford swap would use the flange that we already have, but the Thetford china toilet will be a tight fit in our TT. The Thetford china model has the rotating ball flush valve like the Sealand, easier to clean than the blade valve in our plastic Aqua Magic V. The only real problem with our Aqua Magic V is the mounting bolts get loose and I may have to pull it to see what's going on.

I did a search and didn't come up with anything helpful (there have been a lot of Bigfoot TTs for sale on this website!). Any recommendations?
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Postscript: Despite phone calls to Bigfoot dealers and posting here and the Bigfoot owners forum, I never did come up with the Thetford china upgrade model that some dealers offer. I have just completed installing a SeaLand Traveler, model 111, aka Lite, low profile. There is about 1" clearance on each side and 1/4" in back. The flush lever had to be trimmed 3/4" to avoid contacting the wall. Tight fit! The flange had to be rotated 45 degrees, which required relocating 8 flange screws. If I had to do it again, I would use the universal mounting flange from Sealand, as relocating the flange was a hassle. The bathroom floor is a sandwich of 3/4" plywood covered by fiberglass on both top and bottom. To avoid drilling (pilot holes for the screws) through the floor and damaging the holding tank, it is important to use a guard on the drill bit or insert something between the floor and tank to act as a shield. I used a small Stanley pry bar. The bar cannot be inserted unless the flange is removed.

We chose the SeaLand traveler Lite because it is similar to the toilet we had in our Casita. It seems to be a popular upgrade in vintage trailers, such as Airstreams. We bought ours from the CW catalog; the stores don't seem to stock it. The first toilet arrived smashed to bits, but CW sent another right away. Bottom line: this was not an easy DIY project!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot