Black/grey water tank leak? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
If it is brand new, it should be under warranty. Why not report to Scamp and let them take care of it?
__________________

__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Name: Vee
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Posts: 12
Grey tank leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If it is brand new, it should be under warranty. Why not report to Scamp and let them take care of it?
Scamp sells directly with no dealers and they are located in Minnesota, a 1000 miles trip for me. I ask them to help me . They advised me to find a place to fix it and they would take care of the bill. My problem is that where I live there are no RV dealers that can give me an appointment in less than a month. If I want to go on a trip next week I have to fix it myself and don't know what to use.
__________________

__________________
Happy Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
I'd call Scamp back and explain the situation and ask them to contact your RV dealer to get the work done ASAP.
If that doesn't work ( but, I expect it will ), Scamp could at least advise you on the product to use and how to make the fix.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Jared J's Avatar
 
Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Posts: 1,610
Or tell them to second day a can of the glue you need.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Name: Vee
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'd call Scamp back and explain the situation and ask them to contact your RV dealer to get the work done ASAP.
If that doesn't work ( but, I expect it will ), Scamp could at least advise you on the product to use and how to make the fix.
I did call Scamp earlier as soon as I noticed the leak and they did tell me to take it to a RV repair service, have the shop call them after they looked at it, to authorize the charges. My problem is that I need to have it fixed before going camping in 10 days and after calling 8 repair shops I can't get an appointment until mid september at best. This is their busiest season and the majority is all booked this whole summer.

Scamp advised to go to a professional and so it did not tell me what product to use or what the tank is made of, or send me a small amount of what they use, perhaps for liability or proprietary reasons. Upon close examination, my husband and I noticed that the reason for the leak is that Scamp missed glueing 1 1/2 in around the top of the discharge pipe and tank connection. For this reason the tank could only hold 1/2 of its capacity before starting to leak, making us take it to the dump station, but did not leak when it discharching direcly to a sewer hook up. Unfortunately for this camping trip we will not have sewer hook up, since it is a National Park.
__________________
Happy Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Name: Vee
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Posts: 12
Black/Grey water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Or tell them to second day a can of the glue you need.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
They wouldn't send a can of glue either. Perhaps the repair could be more involved than it sounds. Talking to one of the RV repair places, they said that if there is no metal ring around the pipe connecting to the tank (which is our case) the pipe may have to be sawed out to be reconnected with new glue. I don't want to mess with it now because I am afraid that, if it doesn't work, Scamp may not honor the warranty when the repair shop sends them a picture of the gap filled the glue we used and ask for payment authorization. I will just to have to wait until we get back and use water sparinly to only fill the tank 1/2 way before taking it to the dump station when we leave.
__________________
Happy Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,307
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Scamper View Post
I did call Scamp earlier as soon as I noticed the leak and they did tell me to take it to a RV repair service, have the shop call them after they looked at it, to authorize the charges. My problem is that I need to have it fixed before going camping in 10 days and after calling 8 repair shops I can't get an appointment until mid september at best. This is their busiest season and the majority is all booked this whole summer.

Scamp advised to go to a professional and so it did not tell me what product to use or what the tank is made of, or send me a small amount of what they use, perhaps for liability or proprietary reasons. Upon close examination, my husband and I noticed that the reason for the leak is that Scamp missed glueing 1 1/2 in around the top of the discharge pipe and tank connection. For this reason the tank could only hold 1/2 of its capacity before starting to leak, making us take it to the dump station, but did not leak when it discharching direcly to a sewer hook up. Unfortunately for this camping trip we will not have sewer hook up, since it is a National Park.

Fortunately
You're going to a National Park where they have public potties, so you don't need to use the on-board potty.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Name: Vee
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Posts: 12
Grey Tank leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

Fortunately
You're going to a National Park where they have public potties, so you don't need to use the on-board potty.
Yep, we made sure that Plan B was to get a site next to the public potty if we couldn't fix the leak before our trip. They also have a utility sink we can use if we want to do dishes. The good thing is that at least our black water tank is fine if we need to get up in the middle of the night.
__________________
Happy Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Scamper View Post
Scamp sells directly with no dealers and they are located in Minnesota, a 1000 miles trip for me. I ask them to help me . They advised me to find a place to fix it and they would take care of the bill. My problem is that where I live there are no RV dealers that can give me an appointment in less than a month. If I want to go on a trip next week I have to fix it myself and don't know what to use.
Call Scamp back and tell them the situation if you haven't already - perhaps they can make a call or two for you and get you in sooner locally.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #24
Junior Member
 
Name: Vee
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Posts: 12
Grey water tank leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Call Scamp back and tell them the situation if you haven't already - perhaps they can make a call or two for you and get you in sooner locally.
I wish they would. I did email Scamp twice . All they had to offer was to tell me to take it to a RV repair place and they will authorize the repair to be billed to them after talking to the shop about the repair, since it is still in the 1 year warranty. I think that is really not in the best interest of the repair shops to get me in sooner since they have nothing to gain from Scamp especially considering that they are always booked.
__________________
Happy Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Timber Wolf's Avatar
 
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Posts: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Scamper View Post
Yep, we made sure that Plan B was to get a site next to the public potty if we couldn't fix the leak before our trip. They also have a utility sink we can use if we want to do dishes. The good thing is that at least our black water tank is fine if we need to get up in the middle of the night.
Plan C, duct tape (or similiar). I am not kidding, I don't know the situation but if I could wrap tape around it and go then that is what I would do. Or, Plan D, a piece of rubber wrapped around and held with a couple of big hose clamps. Improvise, adapt, overcome, but don't let waste disposal issues keep you from camping.
__________________
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
Name: Vee
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Posts: 12
Grey water tank leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Plan C, duct tape (or similiar). I am not kidding, I don't know the situation but if I could wrap tape around it and go then that is what I would do. Or, Plan D, a piece of rubber wrapped around and held with a couple of big hose clamps. Improvise, adapt, overcome, but don't let waste disposal issues keep you from camping.
I kind like your idea of improvising. The only problem is that the 1 1/2 inch gap on the connection where Scamp missed the sealant is on the top of the pipe and too close to the tank to overlap the seam. I also received other suggestions along the same lines, such as roofing tape called Eternabond that sticks to any type of surface, that one can get from Home Depot. I promise to keep a good sense of humor.
__________________
Happy Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Scamper View Post
I wish they would. I did email Scamp twice . All they had to offer was to tell me to take it to a RV repair place and they will authorize the repair to be billed to them after talking to the shop about the repair, since it is still in the 1 year warranty. I think that is really not in the best interest of the repair shops to get me in sooner since they have nothing to gain from Scamp especially considering that they are always booked.
Scamp has never been good with returning emails fast so best to call the parts department and ask them what product they use. Probable something you can pick up anywhere.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 2,918
Vee, is it possible to show us a pic ? It may give us a better idea for a quick temp fix.
__________________

__________________
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plumbing black/grey water Steve Hammel Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 19 10-07-2012 06:27 PM
black/grey/fresh water tanks Saskstu Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 10 07-14-2012 09:11 AM
Grey or Black Water Tank on 13' Trailer? sj2moncton Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 4 09-14-2010 06:14 AM
Water supply hose to the holding tank - grey water Kathy L Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 08-26-2009 05:52 PM
Black water-Grey Water ROIDON L Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 3 07-23-2009 07:09 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.