Black/grey water tank leak? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Black/grey water tank leak?

Boy, I have had more problems with this trailer since getting it back from the factory a couple weeks ago. This morning I was laying on my back and trying to do some work under the port side of the trailer and felt something wet on the back of my head. Son of a gun, I have a leak from the black/grey water tank. This is a 2012 trailer! Sheesh!

Does it look like there's a crack there to the right of the drip (obviously the pic is upside down)? What would cause this and how would I fix it? Is it something I should bring to an RV shop? I know nothing about these waste systems, but guess I'm about to learn!

2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Frank, it looks like there is moisture coming from the top of that fitting and dribbling own to the low point at the tank. Do you see the beads of water on the right side as you look at the picture? See if you can feel any moisture nearer the top. You should be able to feel if that line you pointed out is a crack with your fingernail. Maybe just needs to be resealed at that fitting, as opposed to buying something.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #3

New York
It's leaking around this seam, mostly to the right where Tom noted the moisture. When I gently move the pipe, it leaks more.

Any suggestions?

2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Frank they do make a two part repair kit. I've used it a few times with good luck.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #5

New York
Boy, great news Dave. I'll see if I can find one. Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #6

Name: Vee
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Grey water tank leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Frank they do make a two part repair kit. I've used it a few times with good luck.
Dave, I just bought a 2014 Scamp and I am having the same problem as Frank. Could you please tell me the name of the repair kit and where I can find it? Thank you.
Happy Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #7

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Scamper View Post
Dave, I just bought a 2014 Scamp and I am having the same problem as Frank. Could you please tell me the name of the repair kit and where I can find it? Thank you.
I'm not Dave, but I bought a two part epoxy in a tube, the kind that is just cylindrical, grey outside, black inside. You squeezed a bit off and mashed it around between your fingers until the two parts where mixed, then put a bead of it around a clean dry seam. So far it works.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Scamper View Post
I really don't remember the name of it. Most RV supply stores carry it. The last time I bought some it was in the plumbing section hanging from a rack in a carded package. Seems like it was around 10 bucks.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #9

Virginia
Grey Tank Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I'm not Dave, but I bought a two part epoxy in a tube, the kind that is just cylindrical, grey outside, black inside. You squeezed a bit off and mashed it around between your fingers until the two parts where mixed, then put a bead of it around a clean dry seam. So far it works.

Frank
Thank you Frank. We have used this type of two part epoxy we bought at Home Depot to fix other things, but I was not sure if it would damage the tank. My husband had thought about using it to fix the leak, but I was wondering if that would be anything especially recommended for that. Thanks for the reassurance. We are going to use it before we go camping again after Labor Day.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #10

Virginia
Quote:
I really don't remember the name of it. Most RV supply stores carry it. The last time I bought some it was in the plumbing section hanging from a rack in a carded package. Seems like it was around 10 bucks.
Thank you Dave. As I mentioned to Frank, we used this type of epoxy for fixing a lot of things. We got it from Home Depot but I believe it is probably the same. I just needed reassurance that the tank was not going to melt, since Scamp has all these warnings against using chemicals that might damage fiberglass. Perhaps the grey tank is not made of fiberglass. We are going to try it.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #11

California
Hi Vee, your tank is not FG. Not sure what it is from HD but the different tanks on RV's are made from different materials and the repair kits are designed for use on specific tanks. I'll do a little digging and PM you.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #12

Name: Greg(lee) and katie
Trailer: Parkliner
Virginia
My waste tank had a leak at the same place when I brought it home. Aaron and Tom suggested using ABS glue to seal it. According to Aaron the glue softens the ABS tank and line and welds it together. It looked like not enough glue was used when the drain was assembled. I found there were three "viscosities" of the glue. I used the thickest level and used the camper last week with no problems.

I discovered another leak when testing the first repair. The tank manufacture apparently marks the center of the 2 flange areas on the tank with a scratch awl or something sharp. Someone was a bit to enthusiastic and the unused rear flat area had a hole into the tank. I doped the hole with the same glue and installed a 3/4" ss screw and fender washer with a neoprene gasket and then covered all of it with glue. When dry I covered it with some epdm roof repair tape...overkill!! No leaks!

My trailer leans to starboard(curb, kitchen). The frame is ~3/4" lower on this side(measured on a level concrete floor) at the rear of the axle. It causes my AC to leak on to the floor if I don't level or over level it. No biggy... I'll try the AC repair posted here by Brian when I have time and be certain it is level each time. Does anyone know if the axles are adjustable?

We used the camper for the first time since delivery last week by going to VA's Grayson Highlands state park. Beautiful!! "Wild Ponies" mobbed us on a hike looking for handouts.

The Parkliner is not as roomy as our 5th wheel but we managed well. Much easier to tow and park than the 5th wheel!! And breaking camp in a thunderstorm was much easier than the big one.

All three campers that we owned have had problems of some sort. Small inconveniences to major damage. Part of having a house on wheels... look at the Airstream forum to see even the "Cadillac" of trailers have problems with leaks, corrosion, rivets etc.

Sorry, I diverged from the topic but I have not posted since delivery.

We love our Parkliner.

Get out there and camp.

Lee and Katie
wandererlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #13

Virginia
Quote:
Hi Vee, your tank is not FG. Not sure what it is from HD but the different tanks on RV's are made from different materials and the repair kits are designed for use on specific tanks. I'll do a little digging and PM you.
Thanks Dave. You make a good point that repair kits may not be suitable for different tanks. I need to call Scamp and ask them what they are made of. Thanks for offering to research it for me.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #14

Virginia
Grey tank Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandererlee View Post
My waste tank had a leak at the same place when I brought it home. Aaron and Tom suggested using ABS glue to seal it. According to Aaron the glue softens the ABS tank and line and welds it together. It looked like not enough glue was used when the drain was assembled. I found there were three "viscosities" of the glue. I used the thickest level and used the camper last week with no problems.

I discovered another leak when testing the first repair. The tank manufacture apparently marks the center of the 2 flange areas on the tank with a scratch awl or something sharp. Someone was a bit to enthusiastic and the unused rear flat area had a hole into the tank. I doped the hole with the same glue and installed a 3/4" ss screw and fender washer with a neoprene gasket and then covered all of it with glue. When dry I covered it with some epdm roof repair tape...overkill!! No leaks!

My trailer leans to starboard(curb, kitchen). The frame is ~3/4" lower on this side(measured on a level concrete floor) at the rear of the axle. It causes my AC to leak on to the floor if I don't level or over level it. No biggy... I'll try the AC repair posted here by Brian when I have time and be certain it is level each time. Does anyone know if the axles are adjustable?

We used the camper for the first time since delivery last week by going to VA's Grayson Highlands state park. Beautiful!! "Wild Ponies" mobbed us on a hike looking for handouts.

The Parkliner is not as roomy as our 5th wheel but we managed well. Much easier to tow and park than the 5th wheel!! And breaking camp in a thunderstorm was much easier than the big one.

All three campers that we owned have had problems of some sort. Small inconveniences to major damage. Part of having a house on wheels... look at the Airstream forum to see even the "Cadillac" of trailers have problems with leaks, corrosion, rivets etc.

Sorry, I diverged from the topic but I have not posted since delivery.

We love our Parkliner.

Get out there and camp.

Lee and Katie
Thanks Lee and Katie. I guess I am not alone. It is very disappointing when you bring a brand new trailer camping for the first time and it leaks. I thought it is not supposed to happen. It sounds like this ABS glue is only recommended for ABS tanks since it actually melts the tank to fuse it. I need to find out what my tank is made of.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If it is brand new, it should be under warranty. Why not report to Scamp and let them take care of it?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #16

Virginia
Grey tank leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If it is brand new, it should be under warranty. Why not report to Scamp and let them take care of it?
Scamp sells directly with no dealers and they are located in Minnesota, a 1000 miles trip for me. I ask them to help me . They advised me to find a place to fix it and they would take care of the bill. My problem is that where I live there are no RV dealers that can give me an appointment in less than a month. If I want to go on a trip next week I have to fix it myself and don't know what to use.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'd call Scamp back and explain the situation and ask them to contact your RV dealer to get the work done ASAP.
If that doesn't work ( but, I expect it will ), Scamp could at least advise you on the product to use and how to make the fix.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #18

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Or tell them to second day a can of the glue you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #19

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'd call Scamp back and explain the situation and ask them to contact your RV dealer to get the work done ASAP.
If that doesn't work ( but, I expect it will ), Scamp could at least advise you on the product to use and how to make the fix.
I did call Scamp earlier as soon as I noticed the leak and they did tell me to take it to a RV repair service, have the shop call them after they looked at it, to authorize the charges. My problem is that I need to have it fixed before going camping in 10 days and after calling 8 repair shops I can't get an appointment until mid september at best. This is their busiest season and the majority is all booked this whole summer.

Scamp advised to go to a professional and so it did not tell me what product to use or what the tank is made of, or send me a small amount of what they use, perhaps for liability or proprietary reasons. Upon close examination, my husband and I noticed that the reason for the leak is that Scamp missed glueing 1 1/2 in around the top of the discharge pipe and tank connection. For this reason the tank could only hold 1/2 of its capacity before starting to leak, making us take it to the dump station, but did not leak when it discharching direcly to a sewer hook up. Unfortunately for this camping trip we will not have sewer hook up, since it is a National Park.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #20

Virginia
Black/Grey water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Or tell them to second day a can of the glue you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
They wouldn't send a can of glue either. Perhaps the repair could be more involved than it sounds. Talking to one of the RV repair places, they said that if there is no metal ring around the pipe connecting to the tank (which is our case) the pipe may have to be sawed out to be reconnected with new glue. I don't want to mess with it now because I am afraid that, if it doesn't work, Scamp may not honor the warranty when the repair shop sends them a picture of the gap filled the glue we used and ask for payment authorization. I will just to have to wait until we get back and use water sparinly to only fill the tank 1/2 way before taking it to the dump station when we leave.