Black Tank Chemicals - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2007, 11:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have gone from Porta Potti to Robo Toilet.

I am used to those intsy winsty little packets of Thetford chems that are not much larger than a postage stamp and seem to be perfect for the little tank in the little guys.

Since I really don't want to tow with anything in the tanks (I know I will have to make it to a dump station on occasion) What do you recomend for frequent dumping in the larger tanks?

I don't want to skimp, but I don't want to waste chems either. I bought the big packets for now, but could I get away with the smaller ones if I am a dumping fool?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:55 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
GD,

What I recommend is RV TEC 100 available at Mal-Wart.

Heartland Labs
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I only use 1/2 of one of those big packets Gina...seems to work fine for me. But, there's only liquids and paper in the tank...I've never had solids in there......
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:01 AM   #4

Registry

Morgan, how much do you use? I am only one person, and, unlike Donna, I am not too full of it...
Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I just got Oxy Kem packets at Walmart.. I have used the liquid before...so thought i would try these...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I use what Morgan does. I've tried many, many things and this is, by far, the best I have used AND it's safe. Don't let the word "safe" fool you. This stuff is strong.

I never measure, Gina. I just put in a dollop or so. You know, a quick pour. I have been known to add more when the temps get to 100* outside. I keep it in the bathroom handy just in case an odor starts. A small additional amount will then take care of it.

I know everyone has their favorites, but this stuff is easy to use, reasonable, and safe. Since it is a liquid, you can add a little bit as necessary.

In fact, it is the only thing I will use now. I even threw out some leftover packets I had of other stuff. I alway keep an extra bottle on hand.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:

Morgan, how much do you use? I am only one person, and, unlike Donna, I am not too full of it...
We use the liquid, but they do have packets. We use the amount recommended in the directions (adjusted for tank size).

Be sure to go through the conditioning procedure to get rid of the poisons in your tank. Even when the tank is empty, you should keep the treatment in the tank. That's applies even if you never have suspended solids in the tank (Donna, why would anyone have a toilet and never put suspended solids in it?).

I have a documet Insider Secrets: RV Holding Tank and Drain Products from Heartlands Labs. I've asked for permission to post it to our Document Center, but have not heard back from them. It's a good read. It convinced me to use their products in the Casita as well as our septic tank.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:32 AM   #8

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Tried several kinds. Settled on Odørløs. Available in liquid or granules for do-it-yourself packages. No chemical smell to speak of.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #9

Odorlos contains sodium nitrate (microbiocide, fertilizer). Don't use if you ever dump in a septic tank.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
(Donna, why would anyone have a toilet and never put suspended solids in it?).
ahhh, I'm always near the campground's facilities, ahhhh when I need to go Or I run like he EL to get there
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
ahhh, I'm always near the campground's facilities, ahhhh when I need to go Or I run like he EL to get there
It was a rhetorical question, Donna; I realize you have a Scamp.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
GD,

What I recommend is RV TEC 100 available at Mal-Wart.

Heartland Labs
I also use this in the liquid form. I used Thetford's liquid in the porta-potty in the Compact Jr.My Mom taught me the dollop method that Suz mentioned. A quick flick of the wrist... to guesstimate approximately 2 capfulls...
Old 02-27-2007, 06:58 AM   #13

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Wal-Mart (and other fine outlets) also carry a non-formaldahyde green crystalline product that doesn't freeze, doesn't leak, doesn't envelop you in a cloud of green or blue haze when you pour it, and does a really good job of liquifying solids and supressing odors as well. I prefer the granule to the liquid products for a variety of reasons.

I was doing some research on this topic this morning trying to find the brand of 'stuff' I use. A Google search on "RV toilet chemicals" yielded some pretty interesting stuff.

Some sources (the State of Washington) apparently the formaldehyde products are biodegradable when used "as directed" and pretty much any of the commercial products will work and won't (as has been suggested for several years now) harm sewage systems or septic tanks (contrary to conventional wisdom). According to a 1983 paper written by Washington State Dept. of Transportation the typical dose of this stuff in an RV tank is sufficiently diluted in a septic or city sanitary sewer system as to be rendered pretty much neutralized, and can be processed without ill effects.

Quote:
A study of recreational vehicle waste disposal at highway rest areas was conducted from 1980 - 1982. RV wastewater is significantly stronger than restroom wastewater in BOD, COD, and suspended solids. It also contains preservative compounds, most of which contain formaldehyde or a formaldehyde derivative. With adequate dilution, these wastes should not interfere with waste treatment by mixed cultures of aerobic or anaerobic bacteria or algae.
In August of 2000, the Bureau of Land Management says formaldehyde is a potential problem even thought it's biodegradable.

Quote:
Chemical Variables
Formaldehyde is a relatively simple organic compound, and is biodegradable, breaking down into water and carbon dioxide in one step. It does not control odors by killing the microorganisms that generate them, as is popularly believed. Instead, it reacts chemically with odor-causing compounds to render them less odorous. However, the organic strength of most formaldehyde-based deodorizers is so high that the resulting mixture in a holding tank is fifteen to twenty times stronger than typical domestic wastewater, even after several days residence in the tank. Chemical toilet wastes, which use higher concentrations of chemical deodorizers, can be over one hundred times as strong. Biodegradability is desirable but is not necessarily an indication of ease of or acceptability for treatment. Formaldehyde is likely to be more closely regulated in the future, particularly when part of a wastewater disposal system.

Quats are not biodegradable and deodorize by killing the microorganisms in the holding tank. Studies have shown that even in very low concentrations, quats can adversely affect wastewater treatment processes. Fortunately, these compounds are far less popular than formaldehyde-based chemicals due to their higher cost and reduced effectiveness.

Enzyme-based products employ natural organic chemicals. They are far less popular for use in holding tanks due to less reliability, effectiveness for odor control, and higher cost. However, these compounds are biodegradable and somewhat lower in organic strength than formaldehyde compounds.
Who knows?

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #14

Registry
wat is a quat?

I am like roger, I prefer the powder for weight and storage. I will look at and try some of these products, but it seems everyone is happy with "Theirs", so it probably doesn't make a huge difference?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:45 AM   #15

Quote:
wat is a quat?
quaternary ammonia compounds