Black tank leaking from caulk seal. Repair or replace? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 07:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Black tank leaking from caulk seal. Repair or replace?

So, the blank tank in my '91 Scamp is leaking. Although the tank appears from the top to be a one-piece unit, the bottom of it is actually a large ledge that is caulked to the inside about one inch from the bottom of the tank. My caulk is leaking and causing a bit of a mess in the shower. Thankfully, we never use it for number two! I know it's the caulk as I removed the whole assembly, put a plug in the large outlet and filled it with water. We had a small trickle out the edges where the panel is caulked in to place.

Has anyone repaired this with success or am I better off replacing the black tank? I hate to "fix" things with caulk so wondering what others have done here. Thanks.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:28 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
So, the blank tank in my '91 Scamp is leaking. Although the tank appears from the top to be a one-piece unit, the bottom of it is actually a large ledge that is caulked to the inside about one inch from the bottom of the tank. My caulk is leaking and causing a bit of a mess in the shower. Thankfully, we never use it for number two! I know it's the caulk as I removed the whole assembly, put a plug in the large outlet and filled it with water. We had a small trickle out the edges where the panel is caulked in to place.

Has anyone repaired this with success or am I better off replacing the black tank? I hate to "fix" things with caulk so wondering what others have done here. Thanks.
Bryan I believe someone else just had this same problem and fix a couple weeks ago. Hope they chime in as I couldn't find it for you .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:17 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Pictures? Pictures? It would help greatly if you could provide a few pictures of what you've got going on with this tank.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I have never seen a Scamp blackwater tank caulked in place. The P.O. may have had the leaking issue. The tank is installed with 4 lag bolts or screws and a wax ring is set around the exit hole. The wax ring is to keep shower water from running out the pipe exit hole. The only way to remove the tank is to cut off the tail pipe and replumb the 3" drain line. The tail piece screws into the bottom of the tank for removal and inst. It's best to order the ABS pipes from Scamp before you start removal.
You need to pull the toilet to find the leak. If the tail piece is leaking the wax ring prevents the fluids from entering the shower pan it will leak to the ground. The tank is made of a plastic which not much sticks to it so If it were mine I would consider replacement. You can order a tank alone.
Now the next issue, Scamp is currently using the 711-M28 Sealand Dometic toilet and tank. The older trailers not sure when but around pre mid 1990's had 911 Sealand's. You need to figure out what toilet you have.
The 911 will bolt to the new tank but it wont fully flush due to the flush lever hitting the tank. You will have to modify something to make it work or order a new tank and toilet. There are threads on 911/711 tank issues.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #5

I know that it's not caulked to the shower pan as the whole assembly is already removed. The bottom of the tank appears to be a separate "plate" that is caulked in to place. This is where it's leaking. Video attached showing the caulk seam location. Between having to possibly buy a new toilet assembly and a three-way fridge, this is getting to be half the price I paid for the trailer when I bought it several years ago!
Attached Files

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 09-25-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
I know that it's not caulked to the shower pan as the whole assembly is already removed. The bottom of the tank appears to be a separate "plate" that is caulked in to place. This is where it's leaking. Video attached showing the caulk seam location. Between having to possibly buy a new toilet assembly and a three-way fridge, this is getting to be half the price I paid for the trailer when I bought it several years ago!
Look around for a plastic fabricator who works with polypropylene. They can use a hot air welder to seal your leak; most tanks are poly. If not they can definitely solvent weld the crack.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If I had to try to fix the leak with calking I would use 3M-5200
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:54 AM   #8

Thought I would take a few pictures so people can see what this looks like. I'm surprised that the seam where the two parts join is at the bottom. You would have thought they would have put the seam at the top to avoid it being totally submerged.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0295.jpg   IMG_0296.jpg  

IMG_0298.jpg  

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 09-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
First close up look of a Model 911 tank underside I had seen. (Poor design.) That explains why this tank was discontinued and replaced with a model 711 tank which is a one piece molded design. Thanks for posting pictures.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If there is a same size upgrade, direct replacement available that might be an option worth the extra cost. It sounds like there might be such an option.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:22 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Been away but now I am back and thanks for all the picts Bryan.
I sure wish I had them before I had left the trailer at the shop for the repair.
Come to find out it was not broken but just the seal.
Cost was a bit high but the hourly rate kills us all.
But a big guy like me with arthuritis in the hands these tight spots are no longer a home fix for us, sad to say.
Thanks again
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote