Black water dumping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2007, 09:54 AM   #21

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Chester, about the curb-side dump port...

Most of the dump sites I've seen can be used in the opposite direction; it seems to me like this could be a problem only if it were busy... or when you forget which side the valve is on!

The mascerator pump idea would work for you, too: get one mounted to the fitting which goes on the dump outlet (they come this way, no custom fabrication required), and pump around to the other side. This also handles the occasional need to make stuff flow uphill. The pumps are normally 12VDC; presumably you would install a 12V outlet for it; it would mount it on the battery box, rather than cutting into the egg shell. When you don't need the pump, just use the regular hose, since the trailer's plumbing remains unmodified.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks Brian.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:36 PM   #23

Hey, don't thank me yet... you haven't seen the price of those pumps!

FloJet pump Cdn$275
Jabsco pump Cdn$253

FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit (this one has the pump on the fitting to mount directly to the dump outlet) US$225

The FloJet website lists their pump, and a data sheet with instructions for use.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hey, don't thank me yet... you haven't seen the price of those pumps!

FloJet pump Cdn$275
Jabsco pump Cdn$253

FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit (this one has the pump on the fitting to mount directly to the dump outlet) US$225

The FloJet website lists their pump, and a data sheet with instructions for use.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
YEOW! My Blue Tote Project was cheaper by a couple hundred bucks
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #26

Trailer: 1991 Bigfoot 17 ft
Quote:
YEOW! My Blue Tote Project was cheaper by a couple hundred bucks
Wow ! I was getting all excited by the prospects of getting one then the price

I guess I'll just have to ask Santa !!!

Mitch
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #27

There may be much cheaper sources of those pumps... I just linked what I could readily find from widely available sources to give a rough idea, and illustrate the mounting method of the last version shown. Coast (Go-RV.com) can be double the cost of other sources on some items, and Camping World has become infamous in this forum for inflated prices.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #28

Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
I like George's set up. One minor enhancement I would make would be the addition of a bladex waste valve. This way when tilting or readying to dump the portable tank you can get it into position and hose in place THEN pull the handle and discharge.

I'm not a big fan of open containers of raw sewerage waiting for me to put the cap on.
Attached Images

Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #29

Name: Gene
Trailer: Escape 19'
Oregon
Totes can't be hauled very far, they're not sturdy enough. Here's my idea, I hope someone can tell me if it's flawed or not.
If you have a pickup truck or sturdy tow vehicle, put the portable tank in there. Then, use a macerator pump like a Flo-Jet to pump the waste up into that tank (they can pump uphill). Then, just drive your SUV or pickup to wherever the nearest dump station is, and dump it. Even if it's 10 miles away, it's no big deal if you don't have to pull the trailer there. I assume you cannot tow a portable tank that far, they just don't look that sturdy to me. But you can sure carry one in a vehicle, if you didn't have to lift it to get it in there.
blugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #30

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
I see this is an older post. However, since i use my scamp for several weeks in the dead of winter and it is winterized by then, I use a 5 gallon plastic bucket, with a toilet seat that fits the rim of the bucket. Then run the bucket into the house and empty it in the toilet.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Walthinsen View Post
Dumpsites are not necessarily available for me, and because the trailer is occasionally used as a guesthouse the ability to dump at home is a great advantage: one of the gutter downspouts terminates in a cast-iron pipe which goes directly into the sewer, so I rigged up a hose connection to it.
I realize this is old, but FYI, there is a difference between "sewer" and "septic". Dumping black water into the sewer ( like the gutter downspout drain ) is a NO NO.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I realize this is old, but FYI, there is a difference between "sewer" and "septic". Dumping black water into the sewer ( like the gutter downspout drain ) is a NO NO.
Ahhhh, not in Portland, Oregon (where Per lives). We don't filter storm water from sewer water. As long as the downspot drain goes to the sewer, we're good to go.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #33

So, you don't treat your sewage? You just dump it in the rivers and ocean? Depends on your situation apparently. Victoria, BC dumps in the ocean, and it is argued that there is no harm due ocean flushing. If Vancouver did that, the harbour would be full of brown lumps.
The reason for separating sewer and septic is that it is too costly to run rain run-off through the treatment system.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #34

No Glenn, we don't dump raw sewage in the ocean or rivers... d'oh, we're tree huggers. There's so much water coming out of the skys, it actually helps the water treatment, which are open air. But, trust me, we pay for that priviledge. I'm charged extra every month for storm water run off from the roof of my home. Septic is totally different.. a single residence tank with leach fields in the homeowners yard.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #35

OK, if I follow you, black water should not be dumped in the drain that Pers' eaves empty in to, as was suggested as a solution?
Otherwise, I could just pull up to any drain on the streets of Portland and open the black tank valve.
And, you are saying that every home owner has their own septic field? How about the high rises? I don't think I follow you.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #36

Glenn, you mentioned in an above post: "there is a difference between "sewer" and "septic"." Yes there is, in Portland anyway. Sewer is a system of connected pipes running to a sewage treatment plant. A septic system is for one house, not connected to others. Portland has been moving everyone to the sewer system over the years and away from septics. Only the septic systems are in outlaying areas now. I can't think of any area that has a multiple residence dwelling that's not on the public sewer.

AND YES, you could pull up and drain into a "storm water" drain, other than the fact it's against the law. I'll see if I can find a "news" article on Portland's big dig, maybe then you'd understand.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
No Glenn, we don't dump raw sewage in the ocean or rivers... d'oh, we're tree huggers. There's so much water coming out of the skys, it actually helps the water treatment, which are open air. But, trust me, we pay for that priviledge. I'm charged extra every month for storm water run off from the roof of my home. Septic is totally different.. a single residence tank with leach fields in the homeowners yard.
That is interesting. It is done different here in Calgary. There are separate storm and sanitary sewer systems. The sanitary is what comes from the homes waste drains, and goes to be treated. The storm goes directly to the river, not requiring any treatment, thus not further taxing the treatment facility. In fact, it is illegal to connect any rain water drain, like gutters or sump pumps, to it. When installing sumps they must be pumped outside and dispersed there. In areas where ground water is an issue, there is a separate storm line run to the home for the sump water.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #38

I think I may have confused issues with the terms I used. As in I should have said that the storm and septic are separate and one shouldn't be dumping septic into the drain for one's eaves ( the storm drain ).
And, that is what was recommended as a solution in the original post.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #39

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Glenn, If I understand Donna correctly, in Portland, they don't separate surface drains from the sewer. All the surface drains go into the sewer. They must have some way to deal with the extra water in their water treatment system.

This has been discussed before, but a composting toilet makes sense. Use your black water tank for urine only. The previously mentioned 5 gallon pail and some peat moss. Remember to stir. The result is basically dirt.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #40

Name: Ray
Trailer: Looking at Lil Snoozy
Maine
just a quick question, 30 gallon tank (grey) on a Snoozy. Just my wife and I, how long can we expect to stay put without dumping??
gizmoracing is offline   Reply With Quote