Black water dumping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
OK, if a dump station or hook ups are available.. my toilet is the best thing since sliced bread.

However... I often (Most times) do not have sewer hook ups, and I stay a LONG time when camped, usually.

The thought of moving the trailer simply to dump is a pain (I have avoided it so far) and the blue totes designed to take black water hoses are too big for me to lift when full.

I have a 5 gallon blue tote for grey.. thats a no brainer... it is easy to manage and I can make a few trips to the drain or toilet and keep the tank reasonaby empty when needed.

I could get another 5 gallon job for partial black dumping, but... I just on't want to carry it and turn it over. The splashing is not appealing, and every blue tot I have had leaks just a little at the big opening when carried. Not a big concern with gey.. I don't want to share my black with others.

I was thinking a larger thetforb porta potti tank would work. It seals nicely and the spout makes dumping easy. I will put arequest in "Other" wanted things.. but.. does anyone have a better solution for this?

5 gallons is the absolute max I can handle.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If your boon docking,try and camp next to a gopher hole.Stuff hose down hole.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Would one of these be sufficient? Might be a little bit to lug around when not in use, but they seem to be ideally suited to your needs.

There's smaller ones on the website there as well.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #4

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
IIRC, the campground we stayed at in Maine last summer had a honey wagon that would come around and pump out the tanks - I take it this isn't offered in the places you've stayed?

-Very much a campground newbie, so I don't know if this is common or not.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
I'm thinking "Thetford" is the way to go... neat, simple, direct, designed for the job at hand... and doesn't take up too much space.
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #6

Registry
Hi Paul,

Yes, I have one of those (5 gallon) from that manufacturer. I HAD a 10 gallon one, but found it too much to carry, even if I didn't fill it. The wheels are nice.. if you are on the freeway :-P but are really impractical for dirt.

The 5 gallon one is fine for grey water, but is not designed to take a sewer hose, and, as I mentioned, it does actually leak slightly (As did my 10 G one) when tilted up.

While OK for grey in tiny drips, this is an absolute no no for black.

Forest service campgrounds that I stay in mostly do not have dump stations. When the tank is full, I have to resort to using the 2 holer they have. With a container of some sort, I can dump from my tank and then dump down the pit.

This requires lifting it to "seat" level, and pouring.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #7

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Gina, I don't know if this is of any help, but for various reasons I most often dump at home (could apply to a campsite, I suppose).
Dumpsites are not necessarily available for me, and because the trailer is occasionally used as a guesthouse the ability to dump at home is a great advantage: one of the gutter downspouts terminates in a cast-iron pipe which goes directly into the sewer, so I rigged up a hose connection to it.
I use a Flojet mascerator which clips directly onto the dump outlet. Rigged up a 12v outlet next to it. I pump the "stuff" through a 50' garden hose (mercifully a black one) directly into the sewer. It should be said that this pump has exceeded all my expectations for speed, thoroughness and ease of use. With a useful but unappetizing short angled clear connecting adapter I know exactly what is happening, and the tanks can be flushed out at the same time with the greatest of ease since it has a fresh-water hose bib with a shutoff on it.
I don't know if this could be of any use for you, but there is NO lifting involved and despite the "draping of the hose(s)" the time involved is not much at all, and quite sanitary except for the view through the adapter. It has made the process much quicker, simpler, and safer (don't ask) for me.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
sounds like a stinky situation any which way you 'look' at it.

This is another reason why we prefer NOT to be boon dockers, LOL!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:54 AM   #9

Registry
Per, my problem is when the tank is full... "Out in the field" so to speak. When it's full, and I am not ready to leave.. you get the picture.

I can usually find a dump station along the way when traveling, and if all else fails, there is one here on the mountain I can use for 3 bucks. BUT... I have to be finished with my outing to do that.

I could easily dump in the 5 gallon one with a water hose, but.. that does not seem big enuff for chunky TP.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The best solution is to bite the bullet and move the trailer to the dump site. Well, not really, because IMHO the best solution is to do as I do and use the two-holer, saving the porta-potti for emergencies or inclement weather.

Regarding dumping into one's home system, that's perfectly alright for a sewer, but might not be so good with a septic system as they aren't designed for large inputs of sewage and gray water (plus you are likely to be showering, flushing and clothes-washing the first day back). Might want to consult an expert on this because the last thing one wants is excess waste putting sludge past the tank and into the D-box and drainfield where it will clog things up. The tank can be pumped but a clogged field usually needs replacement.

Honey wagon service is usually found only at the commercial RV parks, not the Forest Service and other rustic CGs.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've already sent this info to Gina, but thought there may be interest enough here to go ahead and post it.

Once upon a time, I was putting together a book "Marvelous Modifications and Fantastic Fixes for Molded Fiberglass," someday I'll

But not this week, at anyrate "George" was kind enough to send me the info contained in the PDF. This is the solution I use, and an individual could use a smaller container providing the neck was large enough for the connection kit.

PS: I used a Dremel tool to cut the threads in the neck of the container.

BlueToteProject.pdf
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Combining various schemes, you could use a mascerator pump (like Per), but pump into a small (less than 5 gallon) container, which is them dumped into the campsite toilet if necessary. The mascerator ensures that solid size isn't a problem, and can be started and stopped as many times are required to divide the black tank contents into the size of the portable tank.

Just an idea... I have not tried it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:21 PM   #13

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Brian's idea would probably work, because the mascerator grinds it into a slurry (do we really have to get into this?) and uses a selectable momentary or latching pushbutton switch on a remote cord to control it so that you have extremely precise control of the "delivery."

TP and "whatever you have in there" is promptly processed and pumped out with vigor, so filling, transporting, and emptying a smaller container seems quite doable.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Is there a power source available at or near the 2 holer?

I'm thinking one of the large tanks from the link I posted earlier, with upgraded tires or a two wheeled hand cart. Then, once you've hauled it to the loo, you could plug in the macerator, and pump it out.

Another option would be to put the large tote into the back of your tug, fill it using the macerator, and merely drive to the two holer and again, use the macerator to empty it.

Actually, the totes listed earlier are meant to be hauled behind a quad, so I see no reason they couldn't be hauled behind your tug. Now all we have to do is locate a 12v macerator pump, and you're golden.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:51 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Is there a power source available at or near the 2 holer?
No, generally not. I camp mostly at FS sites.. basic accomidations.. a pad for the trailer and a water spigot every few sites.

Flush toilets if you are lucky... pits more likely.

A modification of Donnas .pdf would work. You could slink the sewer hose into the pit and not have to worry about spilling.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Rustic CGs that have two-holers generally don't have any 120VAC power nearby and may not even have running water except for a long-handled manual pump.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #17

Registry
Do the same thing you did when you had the 13'.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #18

Registry
I had a porta potti in the 13, and the thought of getting another one for "emergencies" has occurred to me. However, there really isn't any place to store it. Thats why the thought of using the pp holding tank occurred to me. It is pretty much set up for this.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:31 PM   #19

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
I had a porta potti in the 13, and the thought of getting another one for "emergencies" has occurred to me. However, there really isn't any place to store it. Thats why the thought of using the pp holding tank occurred to me. It is pretty much set up for this.
My first-born took the toilet out of his camper, covered the hole and set a Porta-Potty in the bathroom where the toilet had been. His black and gray water was piped into one tank, so that gave him more storage for gray water.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I also have been looking for a container to empty Black water into.REASON---On the 2004 Trillium the toilet tank and dump valve are on the door side.I found it hard on first time out to dump as i found i had to go into dump area the opposite way of everone else.I need a very flat type of container to dump into if i ever get caught with full black tank.I also don't have much clearance from bottom of drain to ground level.