blecch - any way to get rid of plastic hose taste?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
We are in our new Scamp 13 for a month now and are doing great but although we have a white "water supply grade" hose it tastes AWFUL - unless we drain it outm for 30 seconds and immediately use it which means the gray water tank fills up way too fast

do different brand hoses s taste better? we run it through a charcoal filter at the entry point but it still taste like crap

any ideas? for we just go get water right from the tap in a coffee pot and drink that
bcomnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I assume you are drinking the water that the campground supplies from the campsite's faucet? If so, it's usually fairly crappy tasting before it even gets into your hose
For cooking/drinking, I bring my own in jugs of water from home. I just freeze the water in milk jugs, pack them in my cooler, and then drink the water as they thaw.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We've had quite a topic going recently about water sources and solutions. It's possible it's not just the water hose, but the entire water system. You might want to freshen the entire thing, including the fresh water tank with a solution of bleach water, followed by baking soda to remove the chlorine. It would entail using the water pump and dumping.

At any rate, check out this topic: Fresh Water Sources, Dry Camping.

I'm like Pam, I use "jug" water for cooking, coffee and brushing my teeth. "Faucet" water for dishes, washing my face and flushing the toilet.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I take it from your post that both your trailer and your white "fresh water" hose are brand new. If this is the case, both the plumbing in the trailer and the hose may contain some fine plastic "dust" and manufacturing residue.

When you go home, run fresh water through the hose and into a flower bed that needs watering, or somewhere useful, for four minutes or so. This should flush out the hose. Run it for a minute not connected to the trailer and smell/taste. I'm sure you'll know if it's been properly flushed. Repeat if necessary.

Now, fill and drain your trailer fresh water tank and system a few times. If your trailer is new, so is the plastic plumbing tubing. Again, drain into a flower bed, or into a container where you can reuse the water, if possible, to conserve the water. (We've been on restrictions here for years... can't get out of the habit!) To get rid of the plastic taste in the plumbing, you'll need to run the water thru the trailer plumbing... thru the sink and out the gray tank drain....
Hope this helps you. I hate that new plastic taste/smell, too.
Sherry

SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
thanks for the updates

I'll try the flush method you mentioned - if we get the water right from the tap it's been pretty good - we're in Arkansas where water is nice - it's just the hose that is the problem - and if you are a tea drinker - you can pick out bad water pretty quick ....coffee seems to hold up better -

Quote:
I take it from your post that both your trailer and your white "fresh water" hose are brand new. If this is the case, both the plumbing in the trailer and the hose may contain some fine plastic "dust" and manufacturing residue.

When you go home, run fresh water through the hose and into a flower bed that needs watering, or somewhere useful, for four minutes or so. This should flush out the hose. Run it for a minute not connected to the trailer and smell/taste. I'm sure you'll know if it's been properly flushed. Repeat if necessary.

Now, fill and drain your trailer fresh water tank and system a few times. If your trailer is new, so is the plastic plumbing tubing. Again, drain into a flower bed, or into a container where you can reuse the water, if possible, to conserve the water. (We've been on restrictions here for years... can't get out of the habit!) To get rid of the plastic taste in the plumbing, you'll need to run the water thru the trailer plumbing... thru the sink and out the gray tank drain....
Hope this helps you. I hate that new plastic taste/smell, too.
Sherry
bcomnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
We are in our new Scamp 13 for a month now and are doing great but although we have a white "water supply grade" hose it tastes AWFUL - unless we drain it outm for 30 seconds and immediately use it which means the gray water tank fills up way too fast

do different brand hoses s taste better? we run it through a charcoal filter at the entry point but it still taste like crap

any ideas? for we just go get water right from the tap in a coffee pot and drink that
There are lots of choices , here are acouple of ideas....

http://bigdiscountrv.com/_product_57...ter_Filter_Kit

http://bigdiscountrv.com/_product_57043/16..._WATER_FRESHNER
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote