Boler water setup??? new tank, pump & water heater question - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Johnny M's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Posts: 1,147
Boler water setup??? new tank, pump & water heater question

Okay, I got my 16 gallon fresh water tank today and I am really happy with it and it was only $29 brand new and made in USA. Seems to be of very good quality.

Okay I now need to know if the water pump I am ordering will work okay with the water heater we are getting...here are the links for each:

New RV Marine 12 Volt DC 12 V Demand Fresh Water Diaphragm Self Priming Pump | eBay

Portable 6L LPG Propane Gas 1 6 GPM Tankless Outdoor Instant Hot Water Heater | eBay

My concern is that the water heater is rated at 6L/min and a minimum working water pressure of 0.025MPa. The pump is rated at 4.3L minute and 35 psi. If the pump is flowing less than 6L/minute will the water heater still work correctly? I am thinking that since the water will be flowing slower in volume the water heater may produce hotter water. Anyone have any input?
__________________

__________________
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:29 AM   #2
Commercial Member
 
Ian G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Posts: 1,304
Registry
It appears to indicate the "capacity is 6 L/min" so one would think it should work on less, but there may be a low volume sensor where it needs a certain amount of flow. I would be asking the seller for a scan of the manual to see.

I used that exact same pump at first, took it out and replaced it after the first trip. Although the volume is VERY low it worked for the sink, doubt it is enough to shower and actually rinse soap off. The reason I took it out is because it is VERY noisy and there is no pressure shut off so it runs constantly.
__________________

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Johnny M's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
It appears to indicate the "capacity is 6 L/min" so one would think it should work on less, but there may be a low volume sensor where it needs a certain amount of flow. I would be asking the seller for a scan of the manual to see.

I used that exact same pump at first, took it out and replaced it after the first trip. Although the volume is VERY low it worked for the sink, doubt it is enough to shower and actually rinse soap off. The reason I took it out is because it is VERY noisy and there is no pressure shut off so it runs constantly.
Thanks for the reply Ian. How noisy was it? I wanted something low volume to help conserve water and 35 psi should be plenty of pressure for a shower. I did a test of our house kitchen faucet and I got almost exactly a gallon of water per minute, so as long as volume is about a gallon a minute and works for the water heater I thought it would be plenty for showering. Now I am not sure now if I should go with this one or not...do you think yours was defective and what did you replace it with?
__________________
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
Commercial Member
 
Ian G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Posts: 1,304
Registry
Think AK47 on full automatic ... well maybe not quite that bad but I was embarased with the noise, easy for camping neighbours to hear, and what made it worst is if it would stop when pressurized but it just runs constantly so the noise never stops until you turn it off. No mine was not defective.

I now use a ShurFlo model 2088 water pump. It is rated for 2.8 gal/min @ 2.5 amps (max current draw is 7.0 amp @ 40 psi). yes it is more volume than needed but you can always reduce the volume, you cannot increae it above the designed capacity.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Commercial Member
 
Ian G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Posts: 1,304
Registry
I appologize, I re-read the Ebay posting and this one does include a pressure shut-off switch which would greatly help. heck for $25.50 it is almost worth trying to see if it works for you
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
I installed that same pump on two RV's, on my sons pop-up tent trailer, to pump fresh water from an outside container to the sink and also in my Hunter as a second pump for my fresh water supply. (The primary pump is for the on-board tank)


Both have worked fine, they switch off quickly and the noise is almost negligible when mounted solidly on a hard surface. And, like you say, the price is hard to beat,


The flow rating for the water heater is a max flow to still obtain advertised temp rise. A slower rate will result in hotter water. That said, I don't think that the pump you have chosen has enough flow for showering and using an OFF/ON valve may result in some pretty wide temp swings.


Also, keep in mind that that type of water heater must be used outside and should not be attached to your FGRV's walls due to temp build up and exhaust temps.


There are portable camping heater/showers, like the ZODI, that we use with the tent trailer, and it works great
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Johnny M's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
I appologize, I re-read the Ebay posting and this one does include a pressure shut-off switch which would greatly help. heck for $25.50 it is almost worth trying to see if it works for you
Okay thanks for the tips Ian, I think I will give this one and see how it does.
__________________
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Johnny M's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I installed that same pump on two RV's, on my sons pop-up tent trailer, to pump fresh water from an outside container to the sink and also in my Hunter as a second pump for my fresh water supply. (The primary pump is for the on-board tank)


Both have worked fine, they switch off quickly and the noise is almost negligible when mounted solidly on a hard surface. And, like you say, the price is hard to beat,


The flow rating for the water heater is a max flow to still obtain advertised temp rise. A slower rate will result in hotter water. That said, I don't think that the pump you have chosen has enough flow for showering and using an OFF/ON valve may result in some pretty wide temp swings.


Also, keep in mind that that type of water heater must be used outside and should not be attached to your FGRV's walls due to temp build up and exhaust temps.


There are portable camping heater/showers, like the ZODI, that we use with the tent trailer, and it works great
I appreciate the feed back Bob, I didn't care for the Zodi model as much not sure why just didn't appeal to me for some reason maybe I need to take another look at it...I planned to use the heater outside and run a short section of hose to/from it back to the shower. Since our shower will be front & center in our Boler, I am thinking of making a hatch there above the tongue with vertical stand off the tongue frame to hang the heater and a outlet and inlet in the hatch for the in/out lines of the hot water for the showers. As for the flow, I believe it was rated at about a gallon per minute which when I timed it that is what we are getting out of our tap at home so I may give it a go, like you said can't bet the price for either the water heater or the pump as long as they work good. I will keep you posted as I complete this shower mod.
__________________

__________________
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boler


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boler water setup help Johnny M Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 05-03-2015 11:38 PM
PL Water Tank/Pump Question Birmingham1 Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 3 04-27-2014 04:38 PM
Hitch setup analysis--F150 & Bigfoot 25B25RQ Derek Johnson Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 47 07-21-2013 12:22 AM
Hot water heater, tank and pump under seat? dylanear Modifications, Alterations and Updates 12 09-30-2011 01:28 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.