Broken Scamp sink trap - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Indiana
Broken Scamp sink trap

My 16' scamp sink drain broke at the barbed outlet to the waste water vinyl tubing. I purchased a new trap and also ordered a stainless bar sink drain as the original was pretty corroded. My problem is that the new trap is very loose on the new stainless drain threads. It really will not catch the threads until it is nearly all the way on the drain, and this means that there is not enough room for the nut that holds the drain in place. I'm thinking of installing the drain with silicone sealer on top side of the sink and installing the rubber compression washer under the sink and then using more silicone on the drain threads to seal the trap as I screw it up against the compression washer.

Here's my question. Is my solution for snugging the trap up against the compression washer without the compression nut a good one or should I look for better fitting trap and drain?

Thanks for any help, Tom
FlyboyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyTJ View Post
My 16' scamp sink drain broke at the barbed outlet to the waste water vinyl tubing. I purchased a new trap and also ordered a stainless bar sink drain as the original was pretty corroded. My problem is that the new trap is very loose on the new stainless drain threads. It really will not catch the threads until it is nearly all the way on the drain, and this means that there is not enough room for the nut that holds the drain in place. I'm thinking of installing the drain with silicone sealer on top side of the sink and installing the rubber compression washer under the sink and then using more silicone on the drain threads to seal the trap as I screw it up against the compression washer.

Here's my question. Is my solution for snugging the trap up against the compression washer without the compression nut a good one or should I look for better fitting trap and drain

Thanks for any help, Tom
Take the pieces with you to a local hardware store and show the clerk the issue. They will sort you out with something that works. Don't do this at Home Depot, Lowes, etc go to an ACE, True Value or Do-it-Best. Or find a plumbing supply store where they sell both fixtures and fittings. A good old fashioned style hardware store wins hands down for help with odd plumbing jobs. Don't go first thing on a Monday morning or right at closing time. Saturdays tend to be way too busy as well. Go during slack time when they are less pressured.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Indiana
Thanks K for the suggestion. An old hardware store that has survived all the big box stores comes to mind. I'll check them out tomorrow.

Smiles, Tom
FlyboyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp