Casita/Scamp Capacities... opinions? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2015, 11:15 PM   #1

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
Casita/Scamp Capacities... opinions?

From what I researched, here are the tank capacities of the 16ft & 13ft Casita and Scamps:

Casita 16
16 fresh (25 was optional back in the day?)
13 grey
15 black

Scamp 16
12 fresh
26 grey
9 black

Casita 13
16 fresh
13 gray
15 black

Scamp 13
12 fresh
26 grey
9 black

I feel like folks always complain about running out of grey water capacity first, so the Scamp tank layouts look best, but I've never used an RV toilet... for the black water tank, how much water is used per flush? Obviously my own urine and excrement won't fill 9 gallons any time soon, but maybe the black water tank fills faster than I'd think so Casita may have an edge there? Thx.
Bster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:21 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Interesting question Bryce and just a short story for you. I've had a number of motor homes and we had two daughters. Never had a problem with the black tank even with a seven day trip and none of the tanks were larger than 20 gallons. The grey tank...well, another story, remember, three females, something about washing hair maybe but it's the easiest to drain off. You shouldn't have a problem with it and I sure wouldn't use tank capacities as a dividing line to deciding on a trailer. Layout and sleeping should be the big factor.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:20 AM   #3

Connecticut
Well the wide bed option in the scamp does intrigue me as it leaves the possibility for bringing along a girlfriend, or not. And I am bald, & I shave my head, so maybe grey water I'll never run out of that either? I'd like the ability to go a week at a time solo. Surely scamp owners must be envious of casita people for some reason? Haha and vice versa of course.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You can double the fresh water capacity in a Scamp by adding a second tank, and it'll all still go into the grey tank. However... driving down the highway with both tanks full is likely to be unstable- too much weight behind the axle- except maybe in the 19'er. But you could fill up near your destination for longer dry camping stays. Or you could carry a couple of 5-gallon containers and refill the tank that way.

Have to agree with Dave. There are ways to modify or work around tank capacities, but if the layout and sleeping set-up don't work, you'll end up looking for a different trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #5

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
How about options. I had Scamp add a second fresh water tank to my 16 when it was built. Making my fresh 24 gallons extending our stay by days.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
While camping it's usually a lot easier to add water to the holding tank than to empty a gray tank, meaning it can be an advantage to have a larger gray tank than the water tank. But, no matter what capacities you have, you learn to deal with them, it shouldn't be a deal breaker vs. other considerations when buying.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #7

Connecticut
You can do this mod even on a 13 footer Jon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You can double the fresh water capacity in a Scamp by adding a second tank, and it'll all still go into the grey tank. However... driving down the highway with both tanks full is likely to be unstable- too much weight behind the axle. But you could fill up near your destination for longer dry camping stays. Or you could carry a couple of 5-gallon containers and refill the tank that way.

Have to agree with Dave. There are ways to modify or work around tank capacities, but if the layout and sleeping set-up don't work, you'll end up looking for a different trailer.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #8

Connecticut
I'm not sure I'd pay the price (I'd love to find a slightly used camper) to have a brand new camper with a mod to extend the fresh water. I'm leaning towards a minivan for TV and as a single guy, I hope to have plenty of space for an extra 5gal bladder here and there in the back of the TV. I figure carrying that extra water in the TV simplifies towing as well.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I put a 16 gallon freshwater tank in my 71 Boler (same as a scamp) with no issues
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
There was a discussion here not that long ago about the fact that the Scamp grey water tank is not really 26 gallons, but somewhere closer to 20, if I remember correctly. Try to search the forum for that. It is hard to judge how much is enough by numbers, except as a comparison, which you are doing. How many of us know how much water we use in a day at home?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
The commode uses as much or as little water as you wish, depending on how you use it. The manual gives these figures: Avg per flush, 1 quart and minimum per flush, one pint.

Keeping in mind my very limited experience, I think I can go seven days easy on 12 gallons of fresh water and maybe ten days. Which means as much as twenty days before filling the gray water tank. Probably not as long with the 9 gallon black water but not too far from it.

A few caveats:

Water consumption is for one adult male and does not include drinking and cooking water. My drinking water is in bottles and jugs and estimated to be about one quart a day.

My procedure is to fill the fresh water tank upon arrival at the camp site. I do not use the city water connection but instead pump water as needed. This way there is no worries about the water hose leaking (which it always seems to do) and also knowing that I am starting with 12 gallons helps me to conserve and figure out how much water I am using.

Dish washing involves first using as few dishes as possible. Always paper plates, and often only one pot or pan to cook. Liquid waste (grease, milk from cereal, etc.) goes into a plastic bottle to be deposited in the trash. Then wipe down the dishes with paper towels as much as possible. Then wash with a little water (usually only a ¼ cup or so and mostly to rinse).

“Clean” gray water (from rinsing for example) is captured in a washing bowl and then transferred to a jug to be used to flush the commode. Since I only turn on the pump when needed and I am not on city water, I can flush the commode from the gray water jug with no water going into it from the plumbing. I use as little as possible to wash down the #1 waste and (so far) #2 waste does not go in the tank since it would take more water to flush. Then a little water to keep the seal when the valve is closed. For #2 and showers, its camp site bath houses. Of course if I were to shower or wash hair or the like, then these water consumption estimates would be way off.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
You can do this mod even on a 13 footer Jon?
Now that I think about it, probably not if you have a HW heater, since it goes in the other dinette seat on the 13'ers. Not 100% sure on that as we don't have one.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
There was a discussion here not that long ago about the fact that the Scamp grey water tank is not really 26 gallons, but somewhere closer to 20, if I remember correctly. Try to search the forum for that. It is hard to judge how much is enough by numbers, except as a comparison, which you are doing. How many of us know how much water we use in a day at home?
Where I am located we are at level 3 water conservation and we are allowed 50 gallons of water per person per day, most of which eventually goes down the drain in one form or another.

Despite claims to the contrary, the human body needs to consume about 2-3 quarts of water (in one form or another) a day to maintain proper hydration. Less can will lead to dehydration. And rinsing pots and pans with 2 oz of water might not do the trick to remove all soap residue, leading to diarrhea, meaning even more dehydration.

At places like Joshua Tree National Park, where there is NO WATER in the park proper, we plan on at least 2-3 gallons per person per day for our stays. Otherwise it is a 20 mile+ drive to get more water. It's considered good karma to pass on any extra water to others when leaving the park.

BTW: Drinking beer doesn't count, you are only renting it for a short time anyway, and coffee, due to it's diuretic effect, only counts for about 33% of it's water content.

In short, never skimp on water, here's a couple of good articles:

Water: How much should you drink every day? - Mayo Clinic

https://www.health.arizona.edu/healt...rhydration.htm

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Despite claims to the contrary, the human body needs to consume about 2-3 quarts of water (in one form or another) a day to maintain proper hydration. ...
Sorry but I thought something needed to be bolded.

I agree that on avg a quart a day would not be enough to drink if that was your only water intake. But its not that simple. (Add water in food, juice, etc. to start)

To quote an article from the Mayo Clinic article:
How much water should you drink each day? It's a simple question with no easy answers. Studies have produced varying recommendations over the years, but in truth, your water needs depend on many factors, including your health, how active you are and where you live.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #15

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Scamp's gallons are different. As it was mentioned above, grey water tank is closer to 20 than 26 gallons. I have similar experience with the fresh water tank (which is supposed to be 12 Gallons). 2 Coleman's blue 5 Gal fresh water canisters leave no room in the Scamp's fresh water tank :-)
Old 11-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Scamp's gallons are different. As it was mentioned above, grey water tank is closer to 20 than 26 gallons. I have similar experience with the fresh water tank (which is supposed to be 12 Gallons). 2 Coleman's blue 5 Gal fresh water canisters leave no room in the Scamp's fresh water tank :-)
Well now you got me wondering... if I had not just winterized the plumbing yesterday I would fill it and measure it.

My Scamp 16 has THIS gray water holding tank.. the manufacturer says it is 21 US gallons.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Well now you got me wondering... if I had not just winterized the plumbing yesterday I would fill it and measure it.

My Scamp 16 has THIS holding tank.. the manufacturer says it is 21 US gallons.
Thats the same as mine. I seem to recall the big discussion regarding tank sizes on the Scamp was primarily in regards to the fresh water tanks size. Do not recall the same being discussed re the grey tank.

I do know I can go through 2 full fresh water tanks before I have to be concerned about the grey tank overflowing.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #18

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
I'm a solo camper with a 40 gal grey tank (not standard on my 16' casita) and the standard 15 (?) gal black water tank. With conservation and carrying extra water in the truck I can go two weeks before needing to empty the holding tanks. I also feel that if you fill the black tank before the grey you don't need a dump station you need a doctor.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp