Casita Water Tank Leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Casita Water Tank Leak

OK. My wife and I were getting ready to leave for a camping trip. The first campsite we were getting had no water hookup, so I decided to fill the onboard tank with fresh water before we left. As soon as the tank was full, I noticed water dripping under the trailer (17-foot Freedom Deluxe model). I opened the door and realized that the floor was also soaked! Of course I immediately drained the tank and began the task of drying the carpet.

We were on a tight schedule, so went ahead and headed out and just went without onboard water until we got to the second campground which had city water. The leak is only associated with the 24-gallon tank. No leak from the water heater or the water hookup.

Any ideas what could be wrong before I haul it into the service center?
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You don't mention where you live, but if you get freezing temps there in winter you may have a serious problem with cracked lines. Other possibilities are cracked or loose fittings, a cracked tank or a cracked filler tube. Also take a good luck at the water pump, it is usually a gravity feed from the tank.

There are so many possibilities that it may well pay you to uncover everything, put in just a gallon of water, and try to trace down the leak yourself.

It could be as simple as a loose hose clamp. But ya gotta look.
Good luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #3

Casita Tank

We live in NC. I had anti-freeze in the tanks and lines this winter (which was certainly cold enough to freeze and crack lines). I did try putting just a few gallons in to see what would happen and there was no leak.

It could be the fitting to the water heater. That's a possibility.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You mentioned in the first post that you were able to use the City Water connection without problems.

Except for the low pressure line between the water tank and the pump, the city water connection would put water pressure on the entire system and cause your leak again. That pretty much rules out all of the plumbing except that one line.

Sounds like it is the tank, line to the pump or the pump itself. And, in as much as most builders use the pump itself as a check valve to keep city water from entering the tank, you can cross off half of that as well.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Perhaps the pump or line in or out is the problem, especially if you didn't run the pump dry when winterizing.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We had a leak where the line comes out of the water tank at the back - it was cracked at the thread. We ordered a new tank from Casita and haven't had a problem since. We've also always winterized ours. We put stronger pieces of wood to attach the straps that hold the tank down - the ones currently in there are particle board and if they got wet you might have a runaway tank in your future.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We had a cracked filter / screen on the discharge side of the water pump
The crack would slowly drain the on board tank at zero pressure and drain the tank quickly when running the pump
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
It's a chore, but I would lift the seat over the tank to see what the problem is. It happened when you filled the tank. Could the fill pipe have come loose?
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #9

All of those are possible, I suppose. We'll know in a couple of weeks when we take it in for servicing. I hope we don't have to replace the entire tank. My suspicion is that it's a much easier fix than that.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #10

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
California
Where is the pump on the casita 17 freedom. Is it under the slanted board under the bed?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Bill castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #11

Okay. There were TWO major problems that resulted in the leak. In fact, there were two different leaks. The catastrophic one was due to the failure of a valve section in the pipe system leading from the freshwater tank. Replaced and fixed and perfect. Then a secondary leak showed up when the folk at the RV repair (yes, I had to take it in for professionals to fix) place fired up the hot water tank which began leaking as the water warmed up. The water heater was full of rust and basically ruined. So I had to replace the hot water heater. Now the Casita is in perfect working order. Freshwater tank fixed and operating properly. Hot water heater replaced and working perfectly. New awning. Everything is copacetic.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Thanks for the update Bob. What was the valve/line problem ? Kind of like to check mine out also being it's a SD17.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #13

It was a situation where the plastic had become so brittle that a section of the pipe deteriorated and cracked.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #14

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Good you got it all sorted. Was the anode all eaten up in the water heater hence the rust!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Good you got it all sorted. Was the anode all eaten up in the water heater hence the rust!
Yes. The folk at the RV shop suggested that I not add the electric option. I agreed with his recommendation. The new water heater works much, much better than the old one.

Tags
casita