Cassette Toilet in Oliver TT - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #15

Name: Diane
Trailer: still shopping
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Everyone's answers are valid but this is absolutely the best and most complete explanation of "why" Oliver won't do the cassette toilet thing.

We have owned two Oliver's and I have asked them to do some mighty crazy things for us. With the exception of painting our first one green, they have rarely said no to anything I've asked for.

There is a guy at the factory that can do absolutely anything with fiberglass. As to whether or not Oliver could do a cassette toilet install, the answer is an unequivocal "yes". Could you afford the cost of that effort? That would be for you to decide. I expect that making changes to the basic shells (especially on a custom or one-off basis) would be expensive. But if you throw enough money at something, it can be done.
Thanks, Steve. After $50K what's a few thousand more? Nah...just kidding. The double shells would probably be the biggest issue as far as construction. I've been thinking about this and breaking through both hulls would fault the integrity of the insulation. I can't seem to think of a way to still provide 4 season trailer with that big hole for the cassette. BTW, Dometic is now manufacturing a cassette. Hmmmm. All comments are thought-provoking.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #16

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
I do not understand why replace a 18.5 gallon black water tank with a 13 liter cassette tank.
Tom...Frequency of dump. No need to find a dump site. Just drain into toilet. I'd make it a morning ritual just to avoid odors. Again...just me!

Old 06-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #17

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Stewart View Post
K. Corbin,

You must be a business owner. I used to own my own and had to limit what I would offer for exactly the issues you outlined.

Linda
I am a person who has hands-on worked in manufacturing most of my life and I also work with product designers as well as do some of that for my own products. So I know what it takes to create and integrate designs and changes to designs from idea concepts all the way on through to fixing any flaws, polishing them up and sending them out the factory doors. I have even installed the vendor fabricated units and hooked up the plumbing and wiring for the bathrooms in Boeing 757s
Old 06-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I think it would be far easier for Oliver to delete the toilet and leave space for a free-standing porta potti. Porta potties are just as easy to empty as cassette toilets IMO. If you thought you'd be happy with a porta potti, maybe ask Oliver about a simple toilet deletion. And buy yourself whichever model of porta potti you prefer.

Personally, I am happier with a small, portable tank than a black tank. Having had both, the black tank has been a nuisance when I head home; I have no good way to empty it at home, so I must always try to spot a free dump place along my last day's route, and too often that place has no rinse hose. The porta is simple: undo a lever on either side, lift off the top, carry the bottom (tank part) into the house, and dump into the toilet. Then add some cleanser and water, swish, empty, and reattach.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #19

Name: Santiago
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Anaheim California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I think it would be far easier for Oliver to delete the toilet and leave space for a free-standing porta potti. Porta potties are just as easy to empty as cassette toilets IMO. If you thought you'd be happy with a porta potti, maybe ask Oliver about a simple toilet deletion. And buy yourself whichever model of porta potti you prefer.

Personally, I am happier with a small, portable tank than a black tank. Having had both, the black tank has been a nuisance when I head home; I have no good way to empty it at home, so I must always try to spot a free dump place along my last day's route, and too often that place has no rinse hose. The porta is simple: undo a lever on either side, lift off the top, carry the bottom (tank part) into the house, and dump into the toilet. Then add some cleanser and water, swish, empty, and reattach.
I totally agree with you Mike. A black tank is useful when stationed at a site with full hookups for a good amount of time and you have a large family that will use the toilet big time.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #20

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Had a Porta Potti at my cabin. Sold the cabin and left the devil behind.
Never want to see another one again.
Emptying a black tank doesn't require you to stick your head almost in the toilet.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #21

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Had a Porta Potti at my cabin. Sold the cabin and left the devil behind.
Never want to see another one again.
Emptying a black tank doesn't require you to stick your head almost in the toilet.
............and exactly what country were those directions printed in???
Old 06-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #22

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I think it would be far easier for Oliver to delete the toilet and leave space for a free-standing porta potti...
I agree. Oliver would be more than happy to NOT install a toilet. I would, however, insist that they install the black tank and plumbing during the build (could not be done after the fact without cutting some fiberglass) for the next owner. I expect that the pool of prospective future owners that wanted a trailer as expensive as an Oliver WITH a bathroom but WITHOUT a toilet would be rather shallow. At least this way you could have a toilet installed.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:05 PM   #23

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Yep, should be easy to cap off the drain at floor level.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
I totally agree with you Mike. A black tank is useful when stationed at a site with full hookups for a good amount of time and you have a large family that will use the toilet big time.
I rarely use hook ups and have no issues with having a black tank & I do not need to move the trailer in order to dump it any more than I need to move it to dump the grey water. Simple to empty it into a portable tank and take it and dump it as you would a cassette toilet & your portable grey water tank.

For those who do not have large families and who have black tanks and do not use full hook ups you can get away without needing to empty the tanks for a number of days regardless.

As a side note rumour has it that one of the first changes Airstream will be changing on the Nest trailer is changing it over to a standard toilet with a black holding tank.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:50 AM   #25

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I rarely use hook ups and have no issues with having a black tank & I do not need to move the trailer in order to dump it any more than I need to move it to dump the grey water. Simple to empty it into a portable tank and take it and dump it as you would a cassette toilet & your portable grey water tank.

For those who do not have large families and who have black tanks and do not use full hook ups you can get away without needing to empty the tanks for a number of days regardless.

As a side note rumour has it that one of the first changes Airstream will be changing on the Nest trailer is changing it over to a standard toilet with a black holding tank.
Interesting about the Nest. I had communicated with Mr. Johans quite a bit when he first introduced the Nest. Loved the trailer but, at that time, I believe he offered a marine port-a-potty. I wonder what else AS will change????
Old 06-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Why not just un-install the toilet, then cap the hole and water supply and cover with a base for a casette toilet?

When the rig is up for resale just put the stuff back in place.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #27

Name: Bill
Trailer: Oliver
NC
The Oliver is our first camper with a built in toilet. We used a port a potti with our previous camper to prevent middle of the night pee trips to the campground rest room so we wouldn't run into skunks or bears. Use the Oliver toilet the same way.

When we visited the Lil'Snoozy plant, first time seeing a cassette toilet and electric appliance camper. Good ideas, too. We started using electric appliances to cook with in our previous camper, after seeing the Lil'Snoozy.

Here's another travel trailer with cassette toilet, Bowlus Road Chief, it's way out of our price range, but fun to look at:

Overview - Bowlus Road Chief

Not familiar with how difficult it is to drain tanks with other campers. Found the Oliver tank drain system to be easy and quick to use. The drain hose is connected to drain pipe and stored in the bumper assembly for easy access. For now we drain the tanks at dump stations.

Will eventually have a small tank to connect to the drain hose, to dump small tank in restroom toilet when a dump station is not available. Need to to work out small tank with connecting fitting. The small tank will be stored in rear our pickup with shell.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I find cleaning the three toilets in my sticks 'n bricks more disgusting than emptying either blackwater tank in my trailers. Far easier to let gravity do the work than my head practically in the bowl and hanging on to a brush. But, still need to clean the bowl no matter if you have a built in toilet system, porta-potty or a cassette.

You can never miss what you've never had. Have flushing systems in both trailers, never going to something else. And I've done the peeing in the bush thing while backpacking to sitting on a bucket with a liner. No thanks. I've earned better, I deserve it. YMMV

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver