Cast Iron Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #15

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Good ( i.e. Old) cast iron isn't that heavy. The new stuff is much thicker and best used for anchors or doorstops IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 02-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #16

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita
Missouri
I carry 2 vintage cast iron pieces and use them for nearly all our meals: #8 skillet and a #8 Dutch oven (they share a lid). To prevent food sticking/scorching be sure to preheat your cast iron. If you boil water, add some cool water before putting it down your plumbing. Cleaning- I use a small piece of chain mail after wiping mine out to take off any remaining residue. Occasionally I will add a very small amount of warm water with the chain mail, wipe out until dry and set it on the warm burner for a few minutes to prevent rust, and I always wipe the inside down with olive oil sparingly before storing for the next meal. Get vintage if you can and reseason it-mine are as smooth as my nonstick pans and so easy to use! We also use ours on the grill. We feel the weight is worth it for the versatility.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:17 PM   #17

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
That a boy sclifrickson

Let me know what you think after you season as recommended

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:15 PM   #18

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
I'm glad you posted that link. I just bought a "new" 1987 Wagner skillet, with the machined smooth surface. The fact that I love cast iron, have this "new" pan (it actually still had the Kmart price tag and Wagner pamphlet stuck to it...never been used), and love America's Test Kitchen, means there are just too many reasons to try that seasoning method.

Cast Iron is worth the weight, for me. But those carbon steel pans that were linked would be great, if I could justify the cost.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Somehow DO cooking and rallies seem to go together. I bet there's a BUNCH of DOs that are goin to be used at Quartzsite this weekend.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #20

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Cooks Illustrated just did an article on their testing of various cast iron seasoning methods, and their recommendation was to use Flax Oil, applied as several coatings, very thinly, and heating the pot/pan upside down in your oven at 500 degrees. Several coating layers were required to achieve the proper degree of seasoning. Apparently Flax oil offered the best results in their rigorous testing of all the oils (and lard) that they tested.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #21

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I did the flax oil thing and it does give a whiz bang finish. Then I managed to damage it and never went to the trouble again
I find coconut oil an easy quick substitute. I dry my pans on a warm burner and oil after every use
Love my cast iron collection, but then I am the one who took two iron skillets on a cruising sailboat!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV