compost toilet for 17' Casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Why is toilet paper not compostable?
It is - the linked Nature's Head site says to put the tissue in with the solid wastes... although it will break down more slowly. In their Installation and Users Guide, they say:
Quote:
Toilet paper is typically placed in the toilet. Since paper products do not decompose as quickly as solid wastes, they will be visible long after the solid matter has broken down. Any type of toilet paper is acceptable; less substantial brands (such as marine or RV paper) will compost the quickest.
Larry explained why it makes sense for him to not put it in, which makes sense to me... although perhaps not enough to convince me to handle it separately.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The toilet paper problem is one that has occupied my thoughts for some time.

(Side note: I try not to think about what this says about my priorities...)

Anyway...

Toilet paper is the number one scourge of RV loos large and small. In porta-potties, it plugs/hangs up at emptying time; in black-tank equipped units there's the condition known as "The Poo Pyramid"- wrongly named in my opinion since it's composed almost entirely of contaminated paper- "poopier mache", if you will. HUGE quantities of perfectly clean water must be added to the tank solely to prevent this problem, and to flush all that stuff out. What a waste!

What if a nice, neat means of paper disposal were available for the prevention of these dread conditions?

My latest R&D project surrounding this important question has to do with the perfection of an invention that will cleanly and instantly incinerate toilet paper. So far, most details as to how it will work elude me but I expect it to take the RV world by storm when I'm finally ready to roll out an invention that presently exists only by way of the name I've given it:

FRANCESCA'S HANDY DANDY INSTINKERATOR ®™

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #17

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Anyone that has traveled in Latin America has seen the stinky little wastebaskets next to all the toilets. So, separating the used toilet paper has precedent, though I can't say that that I like it.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #18

Registry
It's true that paper-separating can be gross if not properly done...which of course means "the way I do it.

If one uses paper towels instead of tissue and is a "buncher" rather than a "sheet-counting folder", grossing-out is reduced to the barest minimum. A sprinkle of borax in the dedicated, kept-closed plastic bag...done!

Francesca
Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Anyone that has traveled in Latin America has seen the stinky little wastebaskets next to all the toilets. So, separating the used toilet paper has precedent, though I can't say that that I like it.
Ha, you don't have to even leave the U.S. of A. to find that.

It's also a carryover in the U.S. by ex-pats of those countries, that have to seperate out paper due to marginal sewer systems, to the south of us.

Here in SoCal it's common to see wastebaskets placed beside toilets, not because we need to seperate used tissues, but to keep piles of soiled tissue off the floor where it will be thrown unless there is a basket.

When in Rome... yadda, yadda, yadda
Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
The toilet paper problem is one that has occupied my thoughts for some time.
My thoughts tend to be occupied with more pleasing thoughts. But hey, to each their own.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #21

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
When in Costa Rica I saw the use of an odourless diaper pale (air filter) for toilet paper. Drop it in the open part and turn a handle. Was a much better system than the open air pale!
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
My dad helped a friend of his install an incinerator toilet at the friends cabin. He said that is smelled like burning poo for quite some distance around. I imagine you could dump the contents of your paper container on the camp fire and let it burn, before you put it out for the night.
As for putting it in the garbage, I can't see it being any worse then dirty diapers. As a parent of five, it has occurred to me that this is not a very sanitary practice.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #23

Registry
I always wondered if incinerator toilets could be smelled for miles around- now I know.

"In the fire ring" disposal of TP works if you have a campfire...burns very quickly and there's no smell but burning paper.

I must say, though: even non-squeamish Francesca would object if TP was thrown in when I was cooking over one!

Francesca
Old 07-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #24

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Great thread. Thanks for the information.

I would welcome any more info on these toilets.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #25

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
The Humanure Handbook

A great book on the subject, the "bible" of composting toilets, is "The Humanure Handbook". It includes everything from the bucket-type to the most fancy. The coolest composting toilet I ever saw was when I worked for the high-end RV manufacturer. A man was going to take this out and set it up in the middle of his field. He had all the boondocking goodies. His toilet was like an ancient throne and it was BIG and it was stainless steel. I think at the time it cost about $3,000 and this was in the early 90's. I was thinking that if you must relieve yourself, why not do it in style!

I did look at these as possibilities and am looking at if they might be practical or not when it comes to composting versus porti-potty. I see a lot of people like the bag that they just use and put in the trash and to me, that is most disgusting of all. I can just see me, throwing in something that bursts their full "bag" and splat!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #26

Name: Paige
Trailer: shopping
Georgia
i see this is an old thread, but i have been hanging on to these questions for quite a while, and if anyone ventures onto this subject...i would appreciate some insight.

i keep going back and forth on toilet issue, and the answers to this dilemma would certainly help me narrow down my trailer shopping (especially regarding size, many of the smaller trilliums, scamps, etc. have no real toilets). My challenges: i will be traveling single (with a cat...so not alone), i have a few health/physical issues (one of which is a very bad back and knees)...which means limited lifting and stooping. I want to be able to camp in parks but also "boondocking" often, because i want to get away from parking lots and man-made noises. (I do alot of photographing and recording)

I read a blog from a young couple that insisted composting toilets were easiest, cleanest (absolutely NO smell) no hoses, no tanks to dump. However, I don't hear many others using them. Port a potty will be too heavy for me to handle i think (i can't carry much heavier than a milk jug or container of kitty litter...lol) although other than that casette toilets look so simple. Not being able to stoop and being female is a bit of a unique issue...(TMI...i'm sorry), and separating #1 and #2 is not as easy for women as men. So....any elderly, female, solo travelers have any advice for me? A fiberglass trailer with full plumbing and tanks will be much larger and more expensive...but maybe that is my only option.

I have read so much to gather info, but this one subject keeps bothering me. I decided I would just be indelicate and ask. :P
Old 05-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Since I have no experience, I will not offer advice, but I have a great deal of interest in the answers that you are looking for. So, don't worry about any decorum issues, we are all campers here.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: casita 17 SD
Pennsylvania
composting

I compost barn and household waste here at home. I can tell you that complete composting takes time. Weeks!. I make tons, maybe 5 tons at a time and turn the piles with a tractor. I can't imagine how anyone can do this in a travel trailer. How exactly does " the young couple" manage this feat?? Do they stay a week in one location and then leave a "working" compost pile In a hidden location behind. Enlighten us! This possibility sounds like BS to me.

Tags
casita