Considering moving water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Considering moving water tank

Curious whether anyone has moved their watertank in a 16' scamp?
I have seen the posts of creating a U-shaped dinette in 5th wheels, but I assume weight distribution would be significantly different.

I am contemplating moving my tank to the rear centre so the storage area curb side actually has some room to store things (and I would be adding a outside hatch).

Any experiences/thoughts would be appreciated!
Thanks
Laura
LauraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't know why you couldn't as long as you towed with it empty. Fill up at the closest hose bib where you plan to camp. I especially like peterh's solution in the U-shape dinette and the red LED so you can visually see the contents in the tank
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I'd do what Glen Gold did with his little Casita. He hung an ABS water tank under the trailer. It should fit on your 16 footer because it would fit on my 13 footer had I not had the factory install a bike rack receiver which caused them to add an additional cross beam to the frame.

Since the space on mine is now a little too narrow I'll have to have someone make me a special tank. Then, I'll hang it under the trailer behind the axle and gray water holding tank. That'll free up the entire cabinet for stuff, leaving everything inside alone.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #4

Registry
Hi Joy
I also have a factory receiver, so I am not sure if that will be an option.
My grey water tank is located under the trailer at the rear ... not sure if there will be space - but a good idea if it will work!
Once the dump of snow we got yesterday melts I'll have to venture out and take a look under my trailer.
Thanks!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraW View Post
Hi Joy
I also have a factory receiver, so I am not sure if that will be an option.
My grey water tank is located under the trailer at the rear ... not sure if there will be space - but a good idea if it will work!
Once the dump of snow we got yesterday melts I'll have to venture out and take a look under my trailer.
Thanks!
I go with Donna. Just never try to travel with it full. The moving that much weight further behind the axle will likely induce sway. Empty no much problem, full, look out.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #6

Registry
The tank is already located at the back of the trailer - it is under the dinette at the very back so all of the weight is on the curb side - I wouldn't be moving weight backward, just inward toward the center of the trailer.
I really don't want to mess with how nicely the trailer pulls ...
thanks, though!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't tow with full tanks. But, I understand there are those that do. I like the idea of a U-shaped dinette, even if it's for reasons other than moving a tank (or adding one). Having the water tank inside rather than hanging off the back end underneath also satisifies perhaps freezing issues during cold weather camping...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
I'm considering moving our water tank to under the sink, which would be basically over the axle. Might need to buy a smaller tank. Want more storage and outside access to areas under the benches, plus need to re-distribute some weight since we're adding a hitch and platform for bikes. Under the sink will allow us to travel with it full (we have excellent well water) as well as having the water in freezing weather as Donna said.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
My water heater is in that location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnelle View Post
I'm considering moving our water tank to under the sink, which would be basically over the axle. Might need to buy a smaller tank. Want more storage and outside access to areas under the benches, plus need to re-distribute some weight since we're adding a hitch and platform for bikes. Under the sink will allow us to travel with it full (we have excellent well water) as well as having the water in freezing weather as Donna said.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #10

I always travel with my fresh water tank full. I never had a tow problem until I had the bike on the back and was going downhill, picking up speed, on a curve travelling on an interstate/freeway. I was going about 62 mph when the sway began. I'm generally not on freeways or necessarily going that fast so the issue of sway is and was mostly a moot point. I added an anti-sway bar to help with the problem in case I found myself once again traveling at a higher rate of speed. Some may say this only masks the problem. Well hey what arre anti-sway bars for!! Stopping sway. But I am now far more cautious of my speed than ever before when on freeways.

I now have the generator on the tongue with the battery and propane tank and could actually do away with the anti-sway bar.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
We really like our U dinette and the increase in accessible space it gave us when we moved the water tank to the back. We also increased our tank size to 19 gallons, added an LED-back-light/water gauge so we can visually check our water level, and installed exterior hatches so we can easily get to the stuff under the dinette benches.

All cool stuff BUT our trailer is a 5th wheel with a 500-700 lbs "tongue" weight. I would not do all those things to a conventional trailer and tow with the tank full. It'd be just asking for trouble.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...age-33982.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tch-34476.html
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #12

Registry
Thanks Peter!
I guess maybe a good way to figure this out would be to fill a couple jugs of water equal to the water tank, strap them in place and go for a drive to see if it feels different.
I don't often travel with a full tank of water, but I would like the option of doing so when I need to.

BTW - love your reno's!
Laura
Old 04-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Sway is a somewhat random product of poor weight distribution, speed, and some instigating event (like hitting the brakes). The main thing is it's random, so trying it a few times with water bottles at the back might not tell you much.

A best-of-all-worlds solution might be to travel with the tank 1/4 full, fill the tank when you get close to your destination, then slow down until you get there. In other words, reduce the "speed" part of the sway equation when you increase the "weight distribution" part. For us 1/4 tank is 4-5 gallons . . . plenty for hand-washing, toilet flushing, and food prep on the road.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #14

Yeap, picking up speed while going down hill were the two times I had any sway at all and it really wasn't enough to cause a problem because I immediately slowed down.

I've got nearly 80,000 miles in 10 years on my trailer with the water tank full. I've learned the comfortable speed for my setup.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 04-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #15

I've never had a trailer "sway" on me and I have plenty of towing experience (and of loading correctly, maybe). Am I correct that should it happen the best solution (in addition to taking foot off gas) is to tap the button on the brake controller? Have only 1 season experience with brake controller.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Am I correct that should it happen the best solution (in addition to taking foot off gas) is to tap the button on the brake controller?
On my brake controller, the manual control to apply the trailer brakes is a lever that you push from left to right. But you are correct that applying the brakes on the trailer only will get you out of sway.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #17

Thank you Frederick!

Yeah, mine slides like that, too. Wrote "tap" figuring one wouldn't want to "push and hold" the button and lock the trailer brakes.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #18

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
On my 16' Scamp, the fresh water tank was gone when I purchased the trailer. I seldom totally dry camp, so I bought a 5 gallon upright 'Jerry Can' type of tank which fits under and to the right of the sink(just behind the wheel well). This gives me more storage under the bench and doesn't take much room in the cabinet under the sink(but I don't have a water heater either). It's also easy to take the tank out for filling.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #19

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Thank you Frederick!

Yeah, mine slides like that, too. Wrote "tap" figuring one wouldn't want to "push and hold" the button and lock the trailer brakes.
Makes a good smoke screen when running from the law
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #20

Thanks Dennis, I've been wondering if a 5 gallon jug would be the easiest solution. Especially since I already own two. Is there a way to install these like a regular tank by adding fittings for filling and draining? Or would it be best and easiest to just buy a tank that fits? My back is shot so carrying 40lbs of water and bending to put under the sink is a risky proposition for me.

Greg -- LOL!