Converting to Single Propane Tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2018, 10:33 PM   #1

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Converting to Single Propane Tank

I would like to omit one of my propane tanks. Can I just plug one side of the regulator or do I need to purchase one for a single hose? Seems if I plug one side, the regulator would not know if it is connected to a tank or not. Thanks, dm.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:28 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
I would like to omit one of my propane tanks. Can I just plug one side of the regulator or do I need to purchase one for a single hose? Seems if I plug one side, the regulator would not know if it is connected to a tank or not. Thanks, dm.
You don't "have" to change out the hose. Just leave the dual tank switchover lever to the one tank. You are correct, the regulator will never know the other tank is gone .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:41 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or just leave both tanks in place. If you remove one empty tank, you will save 17.5 lbs.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:10 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I removed one tank on our Casita and replaced it with a bucket to store an extra sewer hose and fittings.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #5

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Yes keep the set up just use one side. You may want to go back to 2 tanks and it would be simple to do.

I have run out of propane in a tank at least 1x per season. We usually camp in remote areas and my tanks are enclosed by the OMW over tank platform, and the fuel indicator are not very accurate anyway. The second tank has saved my bacon.

I carry a third 10 pound tank for my stoves, which I can hook up to the trailer if needed.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
There should be a valve on the regulator to switch between tanks.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:31 PM   #7

Texas
Wanting to do away with one after I saw a pic. on the Casita web site with one tank moved next to the tongue jack and a Honda generator mounted where the tanks were originally mounted. It may have been the same pic. where a guy mounted what looks to be one of the 6 gallon fuel tanks for his generator along the side of the frame near the propane tank and generator. Looks like it would not interfere when making a sharp turn or backing up. I will see if I can find the pic. if anyone is interested.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #8

Texas
This is how I would like to set it up. If I can get it to post...

Can't get it to put up a pic. but here is the link on the Casitatraveltrailer.com
Under resources, click on Gallery and go to pic. #67 on page 2.
Page 2, 3rd row, last on right.

https://casitatraveltrailers.com/cus...gallery/page/2
Old 12-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #9

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Casita 16' Freedom Deluxe
Missouri
Would a 30 pound tank fit on a 1995 16' Casita? I was thinking of removing both 20 pounders and putting a 30 pound in and a bucket or some container to hold sewer stuff.
GlassCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #10

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Casita 16' Freedom Deluxe
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I removed one tank on our Casita and replaced it with a bucket to store an extra sewer hose and fittings.
How do you secure the bucket?
GlassCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Tank should be same diameter but taller.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCastle View Post
Would a 30 pound tank fit on a 1995 16' Casita? I was thinking of removing both 20 pounders and putting a 30 pound in and a bucket or some container to hold sewer stuff.

Remember, you have to lift and carry that 30 pound tank. That's 30 lbs. of propane and the weight of the tank itself. A 20 lb. tank weighs about 37.5 pounds total.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
When I occasionally towed our Scamp with our Subaru Outback, I frequently switched to single tank mode to get the tongue weight down (Outback 200 lb limit). I just used a plug on one side of the regulator to make sure no dirt got in or propane escaped and that gave me the opportunity to switch back to dual tanks when I used our Dakota for longer trips. That worked fine for me.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:58 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCastle View Post
How do you secure the bucket?
Bucket is same height as the 11 lb tank next to it so I made a hold down that is similar to what originally held the 20's. Just a piece of steel angle with notches on a threaded rod between the tank and bucket.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:21 PM   #15

Name: Handley
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I have a single tank. I also carry an adapter so I can use a small one pound propane bottle to cook a meal or 2 until I can get a refill of the 20 pound tank.
Handley Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:41 AM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Since we don't use much on-board Propane, we downsized to two 11 Lb. Propane tanks to remove some unneeded weight. (I replaced my 20 Lb. tanks with 11 Lb. tanks eight years ago and they're both still full.) We camp with full hook-ups, or at a minimum of power and water. We don't "boondock" so we don't use propane much, (if any,) in the trailer. That said, we do travel with a portable 30 Lb. Propane tank that we set up in our Clam screen room to fire up the Camp Chef two-burner stove and the Propane lava rock fire ring. The smaller tanks serve as a back-up if needed, so I didn't want to do away with the Propane capabilities completely, just for those emergencies when stuff happens. Just the way we roll.
Attached Thumbnails
casita 012.JPG   Keder Rail1.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:00 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
You don't "have" to change out the hose. Just leave the dual tank switchover lever to the one tank. You are correct, the regulator will never know the other tank is gone .
Yes & no. While a properly functioning dual regulator will not have a problem with the "empty" cylinder connection, I've had 2 fail that let gas from the full cylinder leak out of the open connection when filling the empty cylinder.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane