Deeper, longer sink - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We're looking for a deeper sink and my googling has produced no results.

Has anyone replaced their sink (in their trailer or on their boat) with a deeper and longer sink? If you have, where did you find it?

We're limited to a 13" x 23" cutout size, but can go up to 12" deep. We're prepared to put the taps outside the sink, against the wall, so the sink wouldn't need to have holes for taps. Because of weight, only acrylic or stainless steel would work for us.

Elisabeth
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Hi Elisabeth,

I looked at some specs from different manufacturers but that 13" dimension is really limiting. Just to confirm - do you have 23" wide from left to right when standing looking at the countertop and 13" depth from the front to back of the countertop - or do you mean 13" wide x 23" deep.

I found this one
S9407.pdf
that is 12" x 17" x 7"deep, but everything else I found needs a minimum of 14 1/4" of cut out space if you want to go any larger.

BTW - a larger sink is a FANTASTIC idea!!
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #3

Here's a couple more:

01_60H_LR_Q__LRS_Q_.pdf
the LR1316 model (first one on the list) with a 12 3/8" x 15 3/8" cut out could work.

01_244_EGUH1317.pdf
this is an undermount - would work if you are also replacing the countertops.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
I found an 8" deep bar sink on Ebay & got it for only $25. I found it for sale online (retail) for $125! It's the same length & width as the original sink but the additional depth makes all the difference in the world. Now I can wash dishes without water splashing all over. We also have a bar faucet. I'll attach a pic.
Sandra

Attached Images

Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #5

[quote]Here's a couple more:

Attachment 13480
the LR1316 model (first one on the list) with a 12 3/8" x 15 3/8" cut out could work.

Attachment 13478

Lainey and Sandra, thanks!

To answer Lainey's first question, we're in a Spirit, in which the sink and stovetop are separated by only about 2" of countertop. They are both on the "door" side of the trailer, immediately to the rear of the refrigerator. The dimensions of the sink cutout are 13" from the refrigerator to the stovetop, and 23" from the front to the outside wall. We could probably go longer, but I doubt that anyone makes a sink that is almost twice as long as it is wide!

The first sink in Lainey's second posting looks like what we're looking for --- what search terms did you use to find it? (I googled "sink" and "deep sink").

I've never used EBay but will initiate a search there.

By the way, when you said "replace the countertop", did you mean, "cut off the top of the original fiberglass unit that holds the sink and stove and install a new countertop"? Is that something we would need to do if we wanted to install an undermount sink?

Elisabeth

Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #6

Forgot to say that we have a 17' Casita SD (Spirit Deluxe).
Elisabeth
Old 05-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
We could probably go longer, but I doubt that anyone makes a sink that is almost twice as long as it is wide!
I was thinking that if you ordered a sink without the deck/faucet mount area you could turn one to install in the correct orientation for your space available. There are some interesting models available, but the cut outs seem to start at 14 1/4" so that won't work so well for you.

Quote:
The first sink in Lainey's second posting looks like what we're looking for --- what search terms did you use to find it? (I googled "sink" and "deep sink").
I went straight to the manufacturer's websites for that info. I'm used to specifying different products in my line of work, so it comes in handy sometimes. You should be able to get a plumbing shop, or a Home Depot type store to special order something in for you. They should have manufacturer's catalogs to look through there as well.

Quote:
By the way, when you said "replace the countertop", did you mean, "cut off the top of the original fiberglass unit that holds the sink and stove and install a new countertop"? Is that something we would need to do if we wanted to install an undermount sink?
Yes, if you want an 'undermount' sink, they are designed to be installed before the countertop goes on. Not a great option if you have a fg counter.

That Elkay LR1316 model is probably about the best size-wise that could fit there without needing much extra fussing to get it installed. That extra depth will sure be handy.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Just a question; why do you need/want the extra depth in the sink? It can really cut into storage space underneath.

I needed extra height between the spout and the sink bottom so I could get a regular thermos in there. I solved that problem by replacing the factory-supplied taps with a set of bar-sink taps.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote