Dometic Fridge Problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #1

Name: Mario
Trailer: Scamp Fifth Wheel
New Brunswick
Dometic Fridge Problem

I have install a new Dometic small fridge 2 years ago and evrything is ok on 110 Volt and on propane when stationnary RM 2193
I would like to be able to travel with the fridge opreating on propane like i was douing with my old fridge.

I just have to move the trailer a thousand feet and the fridge stop fonctionning.

Hot water tank and stove work ok.

COULD SOMEBODY HELP TO FIND A SOLUTION.
BOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That sounds like a ventilation problem. Did you review the vent and baffle requirements when you installed the new box? Was the old one an identical model Dometic?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Can you run it on 12v while towing?
Check the manual for the fridge I know a couple of the small Dometic fridge manuals actually say they are not to be towed with the fridge running on propane.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I haven't ever seen any that said "Do Not Use Propane When Towing", But I have see a few that said something like "Check with local laws before towing with propane on".

Norcolds and Dometics may use entirely different venting which could blow out the flame. Of course there is also the possibity that there is a mechanical problem in the pilot safety valve or the burner.

Maybe the O.P. can tell us what they removed and what model Dometic they installed

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:57 PM   #5

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
Sounds like you're just blowing out the pilot light. I have the same fridge in my Trillium, about a year old. I don't recall any instructions not to run on propane in motion, I just use the 12volt function. Once when we tried to leave it on propane moving from Big Pine to Key West (30ish miles) it was off when we arrived. I just assumed that the wind was too much for that itty bitty flame, what with its location.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Maybe time to have a propane expert check the water column pressure on the propane regulator with the appliances running. The few regulators I replaced were low when they got old. Did you flush the propane lines before you installed the new refrigerator? They can get quite gunky inside over time.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #7

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
I had the same problem, but occasional.
I have two tanks of propane on my Trillium and when I moved on the road, everything was o.k. or the pilot went out. I deducted that when the tank of propane which I used was a little bit low, the pilot went out by moving me and when, before moving me I transferred on the full tank, the fridge worked normally.
Possibly my regulator to be replaced for the next season...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge