Dometic Sealand 711 M28 Toilet and Black Water Tank install in a 96 Scamp 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2017, 07:59 PM   #1

Name: Todd
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Dometic Sealand 711 M28 Toilet and Black Water Tank install in a 96 Scamp 16

Trying to find a decent write up of an install of this toilet was a chore. I found one or two that guided me in the right direction and made me finally make the decision that this toilet and tank were right for me. So I figured I pay it forward and do a write up myself.

I bought my 96 Scamp 16 last March and quickly discovered how annoying a lack of a plumbing system of some kind really was. In the wilderness it isn't a big deal. However, running across a walmart parking lot at 3 AM in 20 degree weather got old rather quickly. So I finally started designing a plumbing system to include a toilet.

My Scamp did not have a toilet or shower installed. It didn't even have a water pump, greywater tank, etc. The layout of the trailer includes a convertable bunk bed/bench seat, and a closet in front of the door.

Despite being a little tight, the closet seemed like a perfect place to install a toilet. I'll do another post about my plumbing system later on. The first step was to remove the carpet (let's face it, our aim isn't always the best....carpet around a toilet would be a nightmare to clean. While brainstorming at home depot, I was walking past the flooring/tile aisle and got a great idea. I picked up a pack of adhesive vinyl flooring which was more than enough to cover the floor of the closet.

Once the flooring was down, it was time for the nerve racking part of measuring and cutting for the blackwater tank discharge. The Dometic Sealand 711 M28 makes two versions: a marine version with a sewage discharge on top of the tank and an RV version that has a standard 3" discharge on the bottom of the tank. The Scamp was tricky to measure for. The closet is elevated off of the floor on a platform the edge of which begins several inches underneath the floor of the closet. The platform is actually made of a frame member underneath the trailer which significantly reduces the amount of room you have to work with when it comes to cutting the hole. I spent at least 30 minutes measuring, remeasuring, drinking coffee, and taking deep breaths to make sure that I didn't cut through the hole only to run into a frame member. I finally placed the black tank on the floor, applied a little pressure so that the 3" discharge would make an imprint on the vinyl tile, and drilled a pilot hole within the ring imprint. I crawled underneath the trailer with a 4 1/2" hole saw, lined it up with the pilot hole, and found that it fit perfectly with about an inch to spare from the frame member. Anyways, cutting the hole was easy.

I drilled a few more pilot holes in preparation of using the 2" lag bolts that came with the toilet to secure the tank to the floor. I fell in love with PEX plumbing a while ago and decided to use it for my Scamp. I ran a 1/2" PEX line from the passenger side bench where the heart of my plumbing system will be located (again more in another thread) to the wall between the closet and the driver side counter. I attached it to a 90 degree elbow, and ran short section of PEX to the corner next to the door where I attached a 1/4 toilet valve and used a braided stainless line to connect the 3/8" discharge on the valve and the 1/2" discharge on the toilet.

tbevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Todd, thank you for the write-up. Making the 1st cut is always a very emotional and nerve wracking moment, requiring multiple measurements, and second quessings.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #3

Virginia
Part 2

Once I plumbed a line that I could shut off, I secured the black water tank to the floor. The rest of the toilet install was straight forward per the instructions. I ordered the toilet direct from Scamp's parts department. When it arrived, it came with two different rings, a wax ring if you choose to use it, a different style pedastal handle, 3" ABS fittings (threaded adapater, elbow, discharge valve, and bayonet lugs adapter), and 1 1/2" PVC fittings for the vent pipe. The toilet installed with little issues and I was surprised how much room I actually had in the closet (I was initially worried that I wouldn't even have room to pull my pants with the door closed!!!) Once installed and hooked up, I glued and installed the discharge fittings on the underside of the trailer.

Again, at the time of writing this write up, I'm still working on the plumbing system so there's no water going to the toilet just yet. However, it works pretty well without it after testing it with cups of water. I'm hoping to plumb the vent piping tomorrow once I pick up a 2" hole saw for the roof. When I get everything cut and glued up, I'll post photos of the process later that night.

Cheers
Todd
Old 03-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Am I the only one who cant see the photos?

Actually I can see them, but only if I right click on the placeholder and open the image in new tab or window.. then I see the photo on a Google Photos page. But that only shows me one at a time, in separate windows.

Maybe it's my security settings or something.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I see no photos. Don't see any placeholder either.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
No pictures either.

Vent: Scamp does not vent the toilet through the roof. The vent pipe comes up 6-8" and takes a 90 deg. turn through the side of the trailer. Scamp sells a 1 1/2" vent cap to cover the end of the pipe. The vent pipe is sealed with sealant to the wall and the vent is pop riveted on from the outside.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:24 PM   #7

Virginia
Photos

Sorry about the photos guys. I'm still getting used to google photo albums. I wish I could load more than a couple photos. That's interesting about the scamp toilet vent terminating on the side of the trailer versus the top. I bought a vent cap from amazon and installed it on the roof. It was straight forward and I'm happy with it for now...
Old 03-25-2017, 09:33 PM   #8

Virginia

Old 03-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbevans View Post
Sorry about the photos guys. I'm still getting used to google photo albums. I wish I could load more than a couple photos.
Hi, Todd. Thanks for documenting your toilet installation. Our system really works best if you can upload your pics to our database, instead of hosting them in a Google album. Check out post #7 of Forums 101 for an overview of our photo upload process.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp