Dometic Sealand 711 Traveler Toilet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I'm looking to add a Dometic / Sealand 711 Traveler Toilet to my U-HAUL VT-16 and could use some clarification from someone who has the same toilet in their Scamp or other RV:

I have downloaded the manual for the Traveler® 711-M28 Marine Sanitation System (WARNING - LINKS TO A BIG PDF!) but I am not clear on how the cleanout works. The Sealand instructions are oriented to marine applications, where it appears you use a discharge pump attached to the top of the tank to suck out the goodies. How does it work in the Scamp application? Somebody suggested that somehow it goes through the floor. Is that through the existing 1-1/4" Dip tube on top or a new hole somewhere else?

Thanks!

Matt
Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Hi Matt,
You'll need to take a trip to the RV parts store.
Here are scans from the Traveler 911-28 RV Self Contained Owners Manual that came with my Scamp.
Attached Thumbnails
toiletinstl_001.jpg   toiletinstl_002.jpg  

paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
In my scamp, the toilet bolts directly to the top of the black water tank.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #4

Registry
Thank you both for the details. This will definitely help with the planning. The boat instructions are pretty confusing. I'll be sure to make sure I don't have any obstructions underneath.

Regards,

Matt
Old 05-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
hey Matt,

i have a similar set up in my CT 13' that you are interested in. its an older dometic (911-M28 - see below), and like Dan, it bolts directly to the black water tank. the PO did the mod so its new territory to me (haven't used it yet since we bought our UHaul a couple of months ago), however he did a decent job. simply cut a square directly below and epoxy'ed the heck out of it. its a good seal and all only the dump valve is directly underneath (unlike the fancier eggs here with the 90* elbow that brings the dump valve to the edge/side of the trailer for easier access. on the other hand - the straight shot and shorter travel distance will likely ensure a fairly thorough evacuation of the back water tank. i have posted photos here (search Bald Eggle), but if you would like more, pm me and i'm happy to share whatever i can.

having the toilet is such a huge luxury for us ... we cant wait for our trip to Yosemite!
good luck!
Paul

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_shot_2010_05_29_at_3.46.58_PM.png
Views:	83
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	28376
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Matt
I have the sealand 911-28 marine toilet in mine which is very similar to yours and that 10" opening is for the sewage pump on a boat and what casita did was they had a tray inverted upside down inside the black tank that is put together with 3M522 Sealant 24 hour cure and at the bottom is the 4" discharge chute that goes down into the floor thru a 4" hole to outside where you put your valterra dump valve (the complete black tank is inside the trailer with the toilet bolted on top of the black tank)...... hopefully you have the inverted section that does that. sealand does not sell one as i cracked mine and had to take it apart to fix it...... wish i could find the pics to show you. I posted them on this site and the casita site about three years ago and if i can find them will post back here.
Joe

UPDATE: I can't believe i just found them (the pics with the post) been lookin a long time for this and hope this helps explain the process
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-29059.html
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Thanks for posting these installation instructions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Matt
I have the sealand 911-28 marine toilet in mine which is very similar to yours and that 10" opening is for the sewage pump on a boat and what casita did was they had a tray inverted upside down inside the black tank that is put together with 3M522 Sealant 24 hour cure and at the bottom is the 4" discharge chute that goes down into the floor thru a 4" hole to outside where you put your valterra dump valve (the complete black tank is inside the trailer with the toilet bolted on top of the black tank)...... hopefully you have the inverted section that does that. sealand does not sell one as i cracked mine and had to take it apart to fix it...... wish i could find the pics to show you. I posted them on this site and the casita site about three years ago and if i can find them will post back here.
Joe

UPDATE: I can't believe i just found them (the pics with the post) been lookin a long time for this and hope this helps explain the process
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-29059.html
I can't wait to buy my new Sealand toilet and install it into my Compact II's tiny little 'privacy room'. I just love being a tiny 13' with a real toilet!
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
I can't wait to buy my new Sealand toilet and install it into my Compact II's tiny little 'privacy room'. I just love being a tiny 13' with a real toilet!
It will be a fairly easy install..... just be sure it has the inverted cover on the bottom (like my pictures) so the black tank is inside the trailer with the 4" outlet to go to your valterra valve....... If it doesn't it will require a black tank outside.
I too like the look of those 13' trailers and may have one in the future.
When you do the install please take some pics.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #9

Registry
Edit:

Ah! - I just read Joe's post in some detail and understand the Casita installation much better. This advice wouldn't apply if your trailer is already set up to accept the toilet, more toward retrofits:

Quote:
Also - be sure to look at the footprint of the tank and account for that when you cut the hole. It probably can't be located flush up against an exterior wall because the fiberglass RVs tend to have a sizeable cove in the floor to wall transition. I think the toilet can mount at 90 degrees on the tank so that may give you some flexibility, but I recall it was a pretty sizeable footprint.
Would you be sure to take some pictures as you go? I was toying with this before I moved on to other things!

Regards,

Matt
Old 01-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
bbuehler
I'm on another thread NEED HELP INSTALLING TOILET. I bought a used Sealand toilet from a boat. It does NOT have a hole in the bottom like the tank Scamp uses. The black tank according to the specs is made of polyethylene. This could pose a problem cutting a hole and glueing in a drain valve. So I guess what I'm saying, if you buy a Sealand toilet make sure it has a drain in the bottom.
Ed D
Ed D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Sealand toilet w/blacktank attached to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed D View Post
bbuehler
I'm on another thread NEED HELP INSTALLING TOILET. I bought a used Sealand toilet from a boat. It does NOT have a hole in the bottom like the tank Scamp uses. The black tank according to the specs is made of polyethylene. This could pose a problem cutting a hole and glueing in a drain valve. So I guess what I'm saying, if you buy a Sealand toilet make sure it has a drain in the bottom.
Ed D
Ed,
Thanks for that feedback. I don't yet have a hole in the floor of my Compact II's privacy room, but will make sure I get a set-up where the bottom of the blacktank has a hole to empty into a flush-out hose,, coming from the underneath of my trailer. I only HOPE I'll have enough gravity pull from the trailer floor to the ground, where I'd be emptying my black tank...
Good luck with your used buy!
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
FWIW
You can buy just the black tank from Scamp.

Sealand Black Tank For Toilet

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote