Electric or Manual - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #1

Name: Kris
Trailer: Monarch Ventura
Alberta
Electric or Manual

Hey everyone currently my ventura doesnt have a sink. i am looking at adding a water tank and plumbing in a sink. im not sure if i should go with a manual or electric pump? or possibly both?
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
A lot depends on your style of camping. If you're mostly in electric hookup campgrounds or only out of week-ends for a couple of day, do which ever you like, it won't matter much.
If on the other hand you expect to be in places without electricity for more than a day or two a manual might serve you better. Remember that electric pump uses battery power. The more battery usage the faster you run out of battery.

We're never connected to electricity therefore the manual works just fine.
FYI-- we extend the usage of the water in fresh water tank by using pot to collect water for coffee from the local spigit the same as you did without the water system.
Don't forget that the drain water has to go someplace other than the ground. Therefore I think it would be wise to add a gray water tank to hold the sink water.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

Alberta
I will mostly be camping in areas with no power hook ups although i will always have my little generator with me. I do enjoy the luxury of an electric pump while washing my hands or face. Do electric pumps burn a lot of power? would it be wrong to have a hand pump and an electric? (only use the electric for washing hands and face). Also i will install a grey water tank too.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
I will mostly be camping in areas with no power hook ups although i will always have my little generator with me. I do enjoy the luxury of an electric pump while washing my hands or face. Do electric pumps burn a lot of power? would it be wrong to have a hand pump and an electric? (only use the electric for washing hands and face). Also i will install a grey water tank too.
You probably could manage that.
Why do you feel the need for using all that water to was your hands and face. There are towlettes for that purpose, save the water for important things like coffee and cooking.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #5

Alberta
that's true, never thought of it that way! thanks
Old 03-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Put in the sink and carry water in gallon jugs.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:52 AM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
You will use less water with a manual pump - easy to install and trouble free as long as you do not let it freeze with water in it !
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We have a water tank and travel with it empty and use the water bottles.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #9

Registry
We have a 12 gallon on board water tank that we use. By using the tank it's not necessary to find a place to store water bottles. The tank is always filled before leaving home. While traveling for months at a time it's refilled when necessary. To keep the tank clean it's treated once a year with Clorox and all water entering the tank is filtered through an inline ceramic filter with a charcoal core. This keeps the water system clean.
Help the economy, buy bottled water.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We have a water pump. It draws about 2 amps and gets used about 1/2 hour a day. That drain on the battery is minimal. If you are concerned with battery drain, install LED lights inside your trailer. One incandescent, used for a few hours reading, will drain your battery alot more that a water pump. We wash hands, wash dishes and clean our teeth. We don't drink campground water. For long stays in one place we have a solar panel. Take care, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #11

Alberta
Thanks for all the replies! I think I am going to look into one of those dual feed faucets that can be used as a hand pump and also with an electric pump. considering the small amount of power the pump takes, it would be a nice feature to have.