Enlarged Hole where Black Water pipe enters floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Enlarged Hole where Black Water pipe enters floor

At the Scamp factory they cut a hole in the floor for the PVC pipe that goes to toilet? The hole they cut is bigger than the pipe. I just sealed the exposed non fiberglassed wood with Rosewood penetrating stain. I am wondering if I should spray foam or something else in the large gaps around pipe vs. flooring? Advice appreciated!

Scott

Sent from my A0001 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1466275133228.jpg   1466275151035.jpg  

1466275171913.jpg  
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Not positive but I believe they use a wax ring to seal the tank to the floor around the outlet
Mine still looks like it did on delivery with no ill effects so far after 12 years.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #3

Ohio
Enlarged Hole in Floor

Hi Floyd. Is it ok then to have the hole in the floor where there is a big gap between the plumbing PVC black pipe in the picture and the floor? I was just worried about moisture accumulation.

Thanks
Scott
Old 06-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If it were me, I would foam it shut.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
If you sealed the edges of the wood I would not worry too much. If anything I might spray some non-expanding foam around it.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
On mine (which has the shower), I can see the wax ring by looking up from underneath into the hole. I think (but would not swear) that the wax ring is installed to insure that water in the shower pan goes out the drain and not down the hole. If the wax ring deteriorates (or should I say when it does), then I think that shower water will run out the hole. If you seal the hole so water cannot drain, then, when the wax ring fails, the water will sit in the black water drain hole in the floor and the wood will rot. The wax ring is under the black water tank so you cannot inspect it from inside. Leaking water would be your clue that it had gone bad.

Now if you don't have a shower then ignore what I just said.

If you are only talking about sealing the cut edge in the hole and not the entire hole, then ditto.

If you used to have a wax ring then perhaps replacing it would be the best option, but it entails removal of the commode and tank, and cutting the black water drain, then replacing it all while using new drain pipe.

If I am wrong about any of this I hope someone more experienced with Scamp construction will correct me.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I would use some closed cell foam weather stripping material sold in rolls in home centers. It's east to jam some in the opening and while the aerosol foam would do a better job of sealing, this is easier to remove later if necessary. Not as messy to install too.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #8

Ohio
Thanks for all the input on this!Working on a wood insert for the shower floor today!

Happy Fathers a Day to all!

Scott
Old 06-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #9

Name: Robert
Virginia
I have 2000 19' w/shower & toilet. I just pulled my toilet & tank out a couple of days ago. Yes there is wax ring under the tank. My wood under the shower is in good condition. I believe I will coat the wood with something but I will not seal between the drain pipe & wood . I think this has too much potential to trap moisture in the wrong place.

The reason I pulled the tank is because I had black water on my shower floor after traveling from boondocking to my next destination. In the process of pulling the tank I found that the vent pipe elbow was never glued. I have plugged the bottom of the tank and filled the tank w/water. I even plugged the vent fitting & pressurized the tank. No leaks. I can only figure that the black water leaked up & out of the not glued vent fitting. Another thing is that only 3 of the 4 mounting points had screws & holes in the shower floor. I will put it all back together after the cleaning is complete & I get the drain pieces. Thanks
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote