External Gray Water Catcher - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2008, 11:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Ok Pete,

Got it. I have one laundry jug and two lids, one with the hole and the other without. Was trying to think of how to transport my water with a hole in the lid. Duh.

Would prefer to find another lid for the jug I have as it is clear and I can see the level easily.

I like the idea of drilling a smaller hole in the lid. I can get Fred to drill a hole for me.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Get the kind of jug that has a clear stripe up one of the ends -- I got tired of switching caps and just leave the hose in when traveling (tucked under, of course) -- So far I haven't spilled any out of the hole...

BTW, I get the jugs at the laundromat for free.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #23

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Quote:
BTW, I get the jugs at the laundromat for free.
Pete,

How big are these jugs? While still committed to the collapsable container, I may have to check this out.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #24

They are just laundry detergent jugs that are sold in the supermarkets -- When I needed one, I just fished one out of the trash while I was doing laundry -- They have really good sealing if you use care cutting out the pour spout.

I have another one inside that I use at night -- I call it my Yellow Water Tank -- No hole in top of this one! I keep it under the front bunk with the porta-potty.

In morning when I go to the CG potty, be it outhouse or one with plumbing, I take both jugs and empty them.

BTW, I didn't generate much gray water -- I ate out of pots, used paper plates and licked my flatware clean! I also got a dish detergent squeeze bottle, rinsed it well, filled it with water and used it to apply water to the few things I washed -- Between that and the manual water pump, I used less fresh water and generated less gray water.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #25

Ohio
Got it. Thanks. We do better at not generating gray water when we're carrying our fresh water back to the site from a faucet somewhere or using out of the Scamp's tank exclusively. But when we're tied into city water at an RV site, we become much less frugal and have a lot more gray water to empty! And I don't think I'll attempt to suggest some of your water-saving techniques to Carol.....

Parker
Old 10-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #26

They worked for me for nine years of Full Timing
Old 10-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1986
I have a 5 gallon plastic "jerry" can that I use with a short hose. Works fine. Here's a link to some similar containers. http://www.nextag.com/5-gallon-water...er/search-html
Mr. Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #28

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I was in Wally last nite and they had a bunch of similar 5 gal Jerry cans with a spout arrangement for $8.50
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #29

Trailer: 76 Boler 13 ft
Here's mine. Its not the best picture, but you get the idea. I used an old hose with the male end that I screw direct into the outlet from the trailer, the other end is inserted into hole in the lid I made for the 5gal bucket. Simple and cheap and does the job.

In either case, its best to have a lid so as other users have noted, you don't have critters and little rodents finding their way into the bucket.
khoa l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #30

Ohio
Quote:
Here's mine. Its not the best picture, but you get the idea. I used an old hose with the male end that I screw direct into the outlet from the trailer, the other end is inserted into hole in the lid I made for the 5gal bucket. Simple and cheap and does the job.

In either case, its best to have a lid so as other users have noted, you don't have critters and little rodents finding their way into the bucket.
Couldn't actually view your pics, but I think I get the picture from your description. I'm probably heading to something similar. Thanks!

Parker
Old 10-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #31

Trailer: Boler 1984
That must be some picture. All i got was a message in BIG letters that said "FORBIDDEN, you don't have access."
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #32

Ohio
Quote:
That must be some picture. All i got was a message in BIG letters that said "FORBIDDEN, you don't have access."
Same here. I had no idea what I started with this post!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Here's mine
khoa, looks like you need to set some permissions if you want others to view the pix -- It comes up as 'Forbidden' to me.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #34

Trailer: 76 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
khoa, looks like you need to set some permissions if you want others to view the pix -- It comes up as 'Forbidden' to me.
How about now..
khoa l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #35

Ohio
Quote:
How about now..
Nope. Still forbidden.