Extra propane tank for Grill 5# vs 11# - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2019, 08:25 PM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I have a 5 and a 10 and the only trouble I have is I can never figure out how much is left in the 5 lb. I really have to get a scale! Thanks for reminding me!
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:28 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I use a digital luggage scale because it will display the weight until it is reset, so you don't have to hold the scale and tank at eye level to read the weight.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:53 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Jim I have pondered about doing things your way. I have the same storage box on the outside of my E-21. Then there are the logistical issues to consider which has held me off. Do you physically remove the 20# tank and bring it to the cook stove?
The tanks stay mounted to the trailer, and I use a low pressure quick connect plumbed right in to the trailer propane after the regulator. Escape will provide this, as do many other
RV manufacturers. I have 3 hoses, 12', 10' and 3', as well as a tee so I can run any two appliances at a time which is usually the stove and BBQ. The propane fire is usually run on its own later on anyway.

You just have to eliminate the regulator on the appliances as you are using the trailers for the propane feed to them. With many appliances it is real easy to do, it certainly was for mine.

Some folks balk at this easy trouble free setup, but usually they have not really given it a chance.

I do bring along an appliance hose with regulator in case I want to take a trailer bottle and use it further than 25' from the trailer, but this has yet to happen.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #24

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 2019 21. Tow Vehicle 2019 4Runner
Pennsylvania
Thanks.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #25

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 2019 21. Tow Vehicle 2019 4Runner
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The tanks stay mounted to the trailer, and I use a low pressure quick connect plumbed right in to the trailer propane after the regulator. Escape will provide this, as do many other
RV manufacturers. I have 3 hoses, 12', 10' and 3', as well as a tee so I can run any two appliances at a time which is usually the stove and BBQ. The propane fire is usually run on its own later on anyway.

You just have to eliminate the regulator on the appliances as you are using the trailers for the propane feed to them. With many appliances it is real easy to do, it certainly was for mine.

Some folks balk at this easy trouble free setup, but usually they have not really given it a chance.

I do bring along an appliance hose with regulator in case I want to take a trailer bottle and use it further than 25' from the trailer, but this has yet to happen.
A couple of images re: this set up would be greatly appreciated -- if/when you find the time. Thanks.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #26

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
read the post "two regulators in line" just below this one, I went with a high pressure tee-off, and a 50 foot hose, never run out of propane, and no modifications to any factory equipment, my pictures are in post 16

joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #27

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
How much propane do you anticipate using per day, how long is your average camping trip and how far do you have to go replenish your supply if you should run out? Answer these and you'll know what size to get.

We cook on old school liquid fuel Coleman stoves, charcoal (Hibachi grill, Cobb grill, dutch oven) or campfire but also have a Campfire-in-a-Can that sees regular use. Initially, I carried a 10 lb tank for it but, now that we're retired, our trips tend to be longer and further away from stores. The fireplace will go through around a gallon of propane per day if used to warm things up while cooking breakfast and for a few hours of evening ambiance. A 10 lb tank was good for a weekend but not much more so now we carry a third 20 lb tank.

With the Tacoma, I had a steel mesh rectangular milk crate bolted to the roof rack. It was perfect for a 20 lb tank and the Hibachi but I'm not sure how I'm going to handle this with the Colorado

Photo of our setup while camped in Black Hills National Forest near Mount Rushmore last year. The milk crate is visible on passenger side front.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6574.jpg  
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane