Extra propane tank for Grill 5# vs 11# - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #1

Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
Extra propane tank for Grill 5# vs 11#

I thinking of getting a extra propane tank to carry for my grill and stove. I have the napoleon 285 grill and the camp chef Everest stove. These are both high pressure systems so Rather than convert to use on my rv system. I am thinking of carry a smaller tank. You can buy a 5 lb or 11 lb for about the same price. Witch would be the better one to chose? Anyone have any experience with either system ?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have a 10 lb. and before that a 5 lb.

The 10 lb. doesn't need to be filled as often, which is a good thing, because you are likely to run into inadequately trained staff at filling stations who don't know how to fill anything other than a 20 lb. cylinder.
I start my trip with a full tank, which doesn't require filling until I'm home again ( I don't have a propane fire in a can ).
Old 12-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I use a 5 pound tank. The only problem I have is feeling a bit guilty asking to have it filled since they do the same amount of work filling it as with a 20 pounder, and only put in a gallon of propane.

You will also run into places where they price by the tank rather than read the meter, and have no idea what to charge for a small tank (or will try to charge the same as they do for a 20 pound tank).
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
11 lb tank

We have the 11 lb tank. I use it for our WeberQ, Everest and Campfire in a can. I only have it filled at my local hardware store and they don’t mind the small tank. I usually take a 20 pounder in at the same time. I start the season with it full and then usually fill it once or twice the rest of the season. I use it on the campfire a few times a season. It will run 2-3 hours the way I run it on about 1/4 a tank. It fits nicely in the front box on our 21. I like the bigger tank. YMMV.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I use to carry an extra 20 pound tank with me but this summer on our cross country trip I bought an adapter that goes onto the 20 pounder and refills the green 1 pound tanks.
I carried 4 - 1 pounders in a tray I built and only used them when ever I grilled or wanted to use the lantern.
One, 1 ponder could be used to cook about 5 suppers and 5 breakfasts before needing to be refilled.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We carry an 11 lb tank for grilling. Got tired of the little green tanks always running dry right in the middle of grilling a steak or a rack of ribs
Fill the 11 lb tank in the Spring and again in the middle of summer — Easier / Cheaper!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #7

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I use to carry an extra 20 pound tank with me but this summer on our cross country trip I bought an adapter that goes onto the 20 pounder and refills the green 1 pound tanks.
I carried 4 - 1 pounders in a tray I built and only used them when ever I grilled or wanted to use the lantern.
One, 1 ponder could be used to cook about 5 suppers and 5 breakfasts before needing to be refilled.

I was also looking at the refillable bottles, what i like about these as they don't have to be empty to refill and i think much safer than refilling the throw aways.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 12-24-2019, 05:38 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We carry an 11 lb tank for grilling. Got tired of the little green tanks always running dry right in the middle of grilling a steak or a rack of ribs
Fill the 11 lb tank in the Spring and again in the middle of summer — Easier / Cheaper!!
True but to avoid this, I would always put a newly refilled tank on if I knew I was going to cook something that was going to take awhile. This is why I had 4 tanks.
When I used up 2...I would refill them and put them in the back of the rack.
I really should look into the refillable tanks and not just the throw/away ones for safety reason because on the trip I did have one tank that did leak through the valve.
But on the same hand, I've had new tanks that were never refilled, that leaked when they got low on pressure.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
I got a splitter and an extension hose from Amazon and just run my Weber grill off one of the 20 pounders on my trailer. Works great and cost about $20 IIRC.
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I use two 20 lb tanks held in the propane storage area of my trailer. Never run out of both tanks, and always have good propane from my low pressure quick connection. No more of those environmentally and sustainability poor 1 lb tanks, and no having to pack along another tank either 5-10-20 lbs as I have enough other stuff as it is with me as it is.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #11

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
I replaced our 20 lb. tank with one 5 lb. tank to reduce the weight and to provide a bit more space on the tongue. We use it for a Coleman stove and the furnace. After 21 nights it was about 1/3 full. Where I get my refills they charge for a complete refill regardless of what you need. At $7 to $8 I'm fine with that.

I'm about to ad a second 5 lb. tank for an on demand hot water heater I'm adding to the trailer. If I deplete one tank the second will serve as a back up. I will then get full value when I get refills!

New 5 lb. tanks around here cost about the same as a 20 lb. tank. It seems crazy but I guess it's a matter of supply and demand. I'm sure they're available but I haven't seen 11 lb. tanks for quite a wile.
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #12

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
For what it's worth.

I have found that Tractor Supply charges only for the amount of propane they actually put into your tank. And they seem to be located just about everywhere.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #13

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
For what it's worth.

I have found that Tractor Supply charges only for the amount of propane they actually put into your tank. And they seem to be located just about everywhere.
Oh good tip I will have to check into that,,,thanks
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
The 11-lb cylinders come in two different configurations. We have the short ones,

The short ones basically fit on the trailer’s A-frame in place of the usual 20-lb cylinders. They are also quite stable when placed on the ground. One fits tightly in a plastic milk crate.

The taller ones look like they would be less stable on the ground, but I believe you can get a detachable foot or legs which will make them more stable.
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:41 AM   #15

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I use two 20 lb tanks held in the propane storage area of my trailer. Never run out of both tanks, and always have good propane from my low pressure quick connection. No more of those environmentally and sustainability poor 1 lb tanks, and no having to pack along another tank either 5-10-20 lbs as I have enough other stuff as it is with me as it is.
Yeah, what you said👍
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:56 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Many Uhaul locations also have propane and refill any size tank. They only charge what they put in the tank. I have an 11 (or actual 10) lb tank that I use for my propane burner for my coffee roaster. No way am I paying for 5 gallons when I only need 1 or 2.

Can't stand those gas stations that will fill but require a minimum of 5 gallons. A few years ago I once brought in two 20lb tanks. Each was about 3/4 empty. I confirmed first that the minimum was 5 gallons. Between the two tanks it came to abut 7 gallons. When the guy rang me up he wanted me to pay for 10 gallons. Me: "no, you said a minimum of 5." Him: "5 per tank." Me: "nope, that wasn't the agreement." Him: "I'm going to call the police if you don't pay for 10 gallons." Me: "call them. I haven't done anything wrong. I'll pay you what we agreed on, or you can take your propane back and I'll take my tanks home." He agreed to 7 gallons and I went home.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #17

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 2019 21. Tow Vehicle 2019 4Runner
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Jim I have pondered about doing things your way. I have the same storage box on the outside of my E-21. Then there are the logistical issues to consider which has held me off. Do you physically remove the 20# tank and bring it to the cook stove?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #18

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 2019 21. Tow Vehicle 2019 4Runner
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
The 11-lb cylinders come in two different configurations. We have the short ones,

The short ones basically fit on the trailer’s A-frame in place of the usual 20-lb cylinders. They are also quite stable when placed on the ground. One fits tightly in a plastic milk crate.

The taller ones look like they would be less stable on the ground, but I believe you can get a detachable foot or legs which will make them more stable.
Mike is this Manchester Cylinder similar to what you are using?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #19

New York
Lots of good info here. I starting to think the little one pound tanks or hooking into rv system would be the best way for me to go. These two seem to have the weight savings. I already have a heavy grill as picked the Napoleon 285 grill and camp chef Everest. Both are not the lighted choices but i feel the guilty is worth the extra weight. maybe even a combo of both grill hooked to rv and stove on the one pound cans.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:07 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Mike is this Manchester Cylinder similar to what you are using?
Yes, that's the one, model 10393.1. They have the same 12.2-inch diameter as the standard 20-lb (and 30 and 40-lb).

https://www.mantank.com/products/dot...e-cylinders-2/

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane