favorite porta potty? - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
favorite porta potty?

I've been reading reviews, searching this forum, and doing a lot of thinking. Maybe too much? I am trying to decide on a porta potty that is small enough that it can be tucked into the space under the seats at the front of my U-Haul. It needs to be light enough that I can carry it myself to clean.

I have read reviews for the Thetford 260, 320, and new curved (too tall I think). There is also the Dometic brand name, Century brand name. I saw terrible reviews for the Coleman brand. I don't expect to need it for more than a weekend at a time, so I don't need much capacity. It is more about ease of cleaning and carrying.

Does anyone have a favorite, or recommendations of ones to avoid?

Sharon D

Old 10-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #2

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Hi Sharon,
I did research too. I wanted to get the largest possible to fit under My '77 Scamp seat without alteration. I ordered the Thetford 320P. It fits with room to spare on the side and front, leaving room to store TP and toliet chemicals. It clears the top of the opening but not by much. Its easy to operate (filling with water and dumping) and I'm very happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020659.jpg  

Old 10-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I also have a Thetford 320p. Never used it, but it sits well under the Trillium gaucho.

I read reviews as well, and the Thetford seemed to shine in comparison to other brands.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
Hi Sharon,
I did research too. I wanted to get the largest possible to fit under My '77 Scamp seat without alteration. I ordered the Thetford 320P. It fits with room to spare on the side and front, leaving room to store TP and toliet chemicals. It clears the top of the opening but not by much. Its easy to operate (filling with water and dumping) and I'm very happy with it.
I'd like to know how you got the roll of toilet paper in that pot.......LOL
I can only assume you unwound it and stuffed it in there.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #5

California
Registry
LOL I don't have that much time on my hand to unroll the roll and reroll it in the "bomb" Carl. I found it on EBay and thought it was cute. It has a horizontal seam in the middle of it and you can twist the 2 halves apart at that seam. It has a TP roller in it that the TP fits into and then pulls out from the top. Its large enough to hold a cube tissue box so you can use it for tissues too!. Myi grandkids loved it--me too. For $7 it was a fun nonsense purchase. Girl just gotta have fun!
New Simple Bomb Shape Tissue Box Cover Holder Toilet Paper Pot Room Car Giftable | eBay
Old 10-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Thanks........LOL
I can see the seam on those blow up pictures.
And being made of plastic. I was thinking it was pottery.

I bet that's quite the conversational piece..........LOL
And I love unique things.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #7

Massachusetts
Registry
Follow-up to those of you willing to talk about portapotties. Do they need to be bungeed down or behind a barrier when travelling? I am wondering if a baby gate could do double duty for potty protection and dog screen door interactions?
Old 10-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Wow Sharon,

Be sure to measure how much room you have under your bench. The only Thetford we can fit is the 135. I think it is 135, the smallest. It works for us for about 3-5 nights use. Lightweight enough that it is not awkward for me to empty. It is quite low, so at night we put boards under it to raise it up higher.

No, you don't need to tie it down during travel. Motion would only move it forward at stops if it moved at all. I took the door off our compartment so there is nothing holding it in place.

Nancy
Old 10-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #9

Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
Thetford toilet

We have the 465 Thetford-liked the taller height-it fits in the storage area and the storage door has a locking handle so the toilet cant slide out.
The toilet has the pour spout on it-this is a feature we like-makes dumping so much easier and cleaner.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #10

California
Registry
Sharon, I do bungee mine when I'm on the road. The first time I used it the door came open and suffered a little damage. I put in longer screws in the hinges and it probably won't be a problem but I still bungee just in case--I usually take a belt and suspenders approach to all thing potentially problamatic. Like Nancy said, measure your opening first since they all seem to be different. However, the measurements posted on the Thetford website were actually a little larger than the actual measurements. I thought it would be a very close fit, but actually I was fine. I don't have access to mine right now to measure but I will in a few days and can report back if you haven't yet purchased one.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #11

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
LOL I don't have that much time on my hand to unroll the roll and reroll it in the "bomb" Carl. I found it on EBay and thought it was cute. It has a horizontal seam in the middle of it and you can twist the 2 halves apart at that seam. It has a TP roller in it that the TP fits into and then pulls out from the top. Its large enough to hold a cube tissue box so you can use it for tissues too!. Myi grandkids loved it--me too. For $7 it was a fun nonsense purchase. Girl just gotta have fun!
New Simple Bomb Shape Tissue Box Cover Holder Toilet Paper Pot Room Car Giftable | eBay

hmmmm, Christmas presents here I come!!.
I also use a porta potti, but don't know the brand. It was the original type that UHaul rented with their units. It has this swing out arm/tube for dumping the contents that is pretty nice.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #12

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon D View Post
Follow-up to those of you willing to talk about portapotties. Do they need to be bungeed down or behind a barrier when travelling? I am wondering if a baby gate could do double duty for potty protection and dog screen door interactions?
Sharon putting a small piece of no skid under it (such as what you put under a rug to stop it from sliding) also helps to stop movement and if you have wood floors it might cut down on possible scratches putting it in the cubby hole.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #13

Massachusetts
Registry
I went with the Thetford 320P. It should fit nicely under the space with some space in front of it, in case I decide to go the cautious route (which I probably will) and secure it with something. It isn't pretty "when the sh*t hits the fan".

But keep those suggestions and lovely accessories coming.

Sharon
Old 10-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #14

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Sharon putting a small piece of no skid under it (such as what you put under a rug to stop it from sliding) also helps to stop movement and if you have wood floors it might cut down on possible scratches putting it in the cubby hole.
Carol, That's a good idea. I took the oposite approach though. I put those felt stick on strips on the bottom to make it easy to slide in and out to use it and to avoid scratching the floor. It works great for that purpose but then you have the issue while in transit. I opted to just put something in front of the door or bungee it when driving. Both options come with tradeoffs I guess. Actually I've noticed that the toliet moving isn't really the problem, its more having a tight fitting door which is an easy fix. Every state may not have this problem, but California highways are horrible. Certain stretches of I-5 are worse than off-roading.