Filling propane tank in Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Filling propane tank in Canada

My ventures from the US into Canada have thus far been short enough not to need to refill a propane tank. Now that my wife is about to retire, I'm anticipating that will change as we love visiting our northern neighbors. Are Canadian propane fittings the same as the U.S. or do they follow the European standard? More simply put, will I need an adaptor of some sort to fill my US tank up north?

Thanks.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
The propane tanks used in Canada are the same as tanks used in the US. And you can go to places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and exchange tanks just as you can in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-20-2016, 06:33 PM   #3

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
The propane tanks used in Canada are the same as tanks used in the US. And you can go to places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and exchange tanks just as you can in the US.

Excellent - as I had hoped. many thanks.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #4

Name: Bobby
Trailer: Trillium 4500, Casita f/d ,1987 boler voyageur,1988bigfoot5er
Ontario
Tanks are the same . You will have just as much trouble finding places to refill as in the U.S. though. Mostly , sellers are using the exchange program . I don't like to use the exchange- a- tank because you pay more for the propane and usually get a tank that starts to rust quickly or is all beat up.
Enjoy your stay up here. Keep in mind that most of the provincial parks require a reservation made well in advance. The summers are short and there are more campers than sites in the popular areas.
Prckly
2008 Casita f/d-----1988 Bigfoot 5er---1987 Boler
Bobby Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:01 AM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: Hunter
British Columbia
Registry
Although fittings are the same Canadian law requires that propane tanks have a date stamp visible which shows that the rank is less than 10 years old or has been retested within 10 years. I don't believe all US states have the same requirement so you should check that your tanks have the required date stamp - usually stamped into the metal collar at the top of the tank.
billmccracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmccracken View Post
Although fittings are the same Canadian law requires that propane tanks have a date stamp visible which shows that the rank is less than 10 years old or has been retested within 10 years. I don't believe all US states have the same requirement so you should check that your tanks have the required date stamp - usually stamped into the metal collar at the top of the tank.

That is a Federal requirement in the US. It is not up to the States to set policy. Canadian requirements are no different from US requirements.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #7

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
The U.S. Has the same 10 year rule, however in rural areas in the U.S. you might find that as long as the tank has no evident rust or damage the filling stations often could care less when your tank was made...at least that is the way it is in my part of the world at my local hardware store's filling station.

A new empty tank at Home Cheapo or Lowes cost about
$29.95 for a 20 pounder.

Happy Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I know someone who had a tank considerably newer than 10 years old but it was badly rusted. When he could not get it refiled, he was upset but it makes perfect sense. Common sense prevailed here.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #9

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Keep a 99 cent can of white spray paint (Walmart) ready for whenever rust appears on your tanks...rusted tanks are always refused a fill up.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #10

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Kirk View Post
Tanks are the same . You will have just as much trouble finding places to refill as in the U.S. though. Mostly , sellers are using the exchange program . I don't like to use the exchange- a- tank because you pay more for the propane and usually get a tank that starts to rust quickly or is all beat up.
Enjoy your stay up here. Keep in mind that most of the provincial parks require a reservation made well in advance. The summers are short and there are more campers than sites in the popular areas.
Prckly
Bobby,
I'm with you on the refill vs exchange.

Thanks for the advice - both on propane and the heads-up on reservations.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I believe some Canadian Tire stores will refill tanks and others have tank exchange. I'm not sure about Canada but in the U.S. 20 lb tanks must be recertified after 12 years and then every 5 years after that. I don't know of anyone around me that certifies tanks and very few that meter propane. Most that fill are flat rate. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
In Canada look for Husky or Mowhawk gas station. They are most likely to have propane ( and sell it by the pound ).
Old 01-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The Flying J near me also sells by the litre, (volume).
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I did propane tank inspection and recertification when I worked at a fuel oil / propane supplier / service company. It's mostly a visual inspection, then stamp on the current date. The last 20 years before retirement I worked for a nationwide truck rental / leasing company. One of our customers was Blue Rhino which does tank exchange. They do the recertification and paint the tanks. If you're lucky, when you do an exchange, you may be able to get an almost new tank with a date good for 10 years or so. That's if the sales clerk will let you look through them. Peel off the label and it's your tank. Note: correct terminology is "propane cylinder" but everyone calls them a tank.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:49 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Cheapest refills around here is Costco.
Last summer a few nearby hardware stores that sell propane decided to match Costco's price, and some price war ensued. Got down to about $6 to refill a 20lbs.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #16

Name: Denis
Trailer: trillium 15
Ontario
I have travelled across all of Canada now . and never had trouble finding a place to fill a tank or exchange . And we travel the road les travelled .... Have a beautiful time in our beautiful country ..
trilliumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #17

Name: CAROL
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700
Manitoba
If you want to refill your tank, look for Costco. I think they all sell propane by the pound and they are usually cheaper than the gas stations. They also sell gas cheaper, too so you can fill all your tanks at the same time. Wpg doesn't have propane at Home Depot and we don't have a Lowes yet, but some Mohawk stations do sell the propane.
CA Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #18

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Agreed that Costco is by far the best place to get your propane. Even if you need to get new tanks. I bought two new tanks, with fill level gauges, filled with propane, for $45 each Canadian! The exchange thing is more expensive and really not that much more of a convenience. You still have to find an employee to find the key to the cabinet like you have to find an attendant to fill the tanks.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
You may want to stay longer in Canada as we now have a 0.65 dollar / Mexico north. Canada the land of the amazing sinking dollar lol. Happy Trails Mike
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane