Fixing toilet leaks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
We were rinsing water through our toilet (after the first camp-out of the year) and all of a sudden water started pouring out - all along the "box" that the toilet sits on - I'm not sure what the coating is, the last owner did the install. I think he actually fiberglassed the "box" or tank that the seat sits on. Is this normal? any suggestions on how to get it out and re-seal it so it stops leaking? Attached are photos - it leaks along the front of the "box" about halfway down. the leak seems to extend all the way across - and when I say leak, I meant it pours out! Do I just get the bolts out of the bottom and lift the whole thing off? or do I have to try to get it all apart? Kind of a bummer since we used it all last year with no problems and have a list all ready for this year.
Thanks in advance!
Diane D
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet_mount___leaks_along_line_across_front_2_15_2010_3_04_38_PM.JPG   Toilet_mounted_2_15_2010_3_04_26_PM.JPG  

Close_up_of_mount_2_15_2010_3_05_33_PM.JPG  
Diane D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
We were rinsing water through our toilet (after the first camp-out of the year) and all of a sudden water started pouring out - all along the "box" that the toilet sits on
Diane D
Diane,

Wow, what an experience! I'm sorry, I don't know about the box but (having done this myself with similar results) I must ask: Did you open the outflow to your black water tank before the sluice job? If the tank fills up there is no place for the water to go but into the trailer....

Good luck, I know the members will come up with a solution.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
hummm, looks like the black water tank had some major damage... frozen? You can buy just the black tank, but I'm not sure how you'd go about getting the toilet off, unless the bolts weren't fiberglassed in place too.

Here's the black water tank from Scamp for the Sealand: Sealand Black Water Tank
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Diane....
I just did that job about two years ago and it was far from pleasant......that base is a sealand marine toilet that discharged at sea and what casita did (I have a casita but it looks the same) was have a second half that's inverted and glued to the top half inside......Look inside your toilet with a flashlight and see if theres a seam halfway up going all around the perimeter to verify this.... if it is they don't make it anymore and you have to fix your old one....pull your toilet off the base then unhook from under the trailer and then take off the four hold down screws inside.....use a razor knife along the floor and the toilet to get it to remove.....take the two halves apart clean them up real good and re glue back together with (i believe it was called) 3M 5200 marine adhesive 7 day cure....reinstall.....this is a very unpleasant and not easy job and if i had to do it again i would just take the toilet off the base and put a porta potti on top of that base when needed.
This is the manual for mine but they do not show the two part base as that is a rv aftermarket setup that they used on the older trailers (mines a 94)
Joe

Casita_Toilet0001.pdf

If Donna's link for the toilet tank would fit your toilet it would be oh so much easier.... I hope it fits
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Joe,
Thanks for the info - since it's covered in fiberglass (or something) I can't tell if it's the one tank like in Donna's photo(which would be great) or a split tank like you describe - I'll have to look into it more (so to speak)

It turns out that I did indeed have the valve closed but in a nifty twist, we pulled over for gas on the way home and discovered that our grey water tank (right under the toilet area) have fallen off!! it was hanging there about to go completely so I just pulled it the rest of the way off. The screws were rusted out and there was a lot of wet plywood in that area - I'm thniking there is a long term leakage going on and I'll have to tear it apart.

Anyway, you info will be very helpful in the long run as I go exploring!!
Diane D

Diane D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #6

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Diane, I feel your pain. I have a toilet like Joe Z has, and I appreciate his attaching the pdf on it. I have a leak where the bowl meets the tank. I'll try tightening the bolts (I learned that here) and if I still need a seal, I know what to order.
I just finished replacing the subfloor on my (new to me) '89 Casita. The osb flooring or whatever it's called was spongy and the majority of the water was coming from a cracked shower drain. There were other small leaks that, over the years, added to the mess. You'll have no fun fixing it, but it will be as new and smell a lot better when you get it finished.
Jeff
Kiteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Diane, what year is your Scamp? Just curious.

It does look like it's done its duty (is there a pun there?) and needs to be retired. I favor the idea of replacing it. Porta Potties work pretty well and can be dumped in a restroom (which is easier to find than a dump station).
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, plumbing leaks