Fresh Water Faucet? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Fresh Water Faucet?

I am slowing restoring my 83 Casita. Next project is to install the water faucet. This is probably a simple project...but I need advice. I have basic setup -- no toilet or hot water. The water tank is plumbed to the water pump which I will need to connect to the faucet. I will also need to connect the city water supply. Do I need a special faucet since the water pump only runs when I turn it on? I'm not sure about check valves, etc. The faucet I removed had some type of cylinder assembly on the left side and then a 'regular' connection on the right. I'm planning to replace the countertop and sink. I'm just not sure if the water pump side needs something special.. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
casitaplumbing.jpg  
J Troxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I live off the grid and my entire house water runs on a 12 volt Shuflo pump, no special faucets needed just turn the handle and out comes the water.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Can you post a picture of the faucet, Jan?

Does it have any wires running to it? Does it gave a hand pump, too?

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
Can you post a picture of the faucet, Jan?
It might help to see and identify what "some type of cylinder assembly" is. I'm wondering if it's an in-line water pump?

A regular Hot/Cold faucet would work in your diagram with just a plug on the hot side. I believe all City Water connectors have a built-in check valve. The fancy ones add a built-in pressure reducer.

I have seen trailer set-ups where the City Water line was connected to the Hot side and the Tank/Pump line was connected to the Cold side.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #5

Registry
old faucet

The old faucet did have a long cylinder on one side (no wires)... I never did use it -- but think that the left was plumbed for the water tank and the right was for city water.
I'm not sure that particular faucet is even available now -- have looked unsuccessfully. I would always have the 12V pump --so maybe I can just 'plumb' a regular faucet with tank water on the left and city on the right? Will that work? If I do that -- would I need check valves anywhere?
Thanks for any help and suggestions!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Here is one option.

Hand Pump Faucets - Low Boy Style on Sale

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Troxell View Post
The old faucet did have a long cylinder on one side (no wires)... I never did use it -- but think that the left was plumbed for the water tank and the right was for city water.
I'm not sure that particular faucet is even available now -- have looked unsuccessfully. I would always have the 12V pump --so maybe I can just 'plumb' a regular faucet with tank water on the left and city on the right? Will that work? If I do that -- would I need check valves anywhere?
Thanks for any help and suggestions!
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
if you are not adding hot water then a single handle faucet will do both.
One thing you will need is a check valve on the city water line so that water can't flow back out when using the pump rather than the city connection. The pump also needs a back flow preventer( most are built in) or you will over flow your water tank when hooked up to city water
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
here's a Save at RV Partscenter - RV Parts and Supply different options for taps, if you don't want the electric pump some also have a rocker type pump. If you do want the electric pump then you need just a standard one handle single spout tap
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #9

Registry
Most helpful! My water pump DOES work.. So I think I will opt to use a 'regular' faucet and not worry about any type of hand pump faucet configuration.
I will make sure that there is a check valve on the city water line. Then I guess I will just go ahead and put another check valve in the line between the pump and the faucet -- just in case my pump doesn't have one... Anything else I'm not thinking of? Thanks to each of you for your help! I'm pretty sure my renovations wouldn't be happening without all the expertise on this board!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Your schematic looks wrong. You have city water running through a check valve into the tank, and there is no inlet connection shown for the pump.

The pump inlet would be the tank side. Its outlet would be the city water side, probably there would be a check valve on the pump outlet side. Some pumps have internal check valves.

With the diagram as shown, city water would flow into the tank and burst something.

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #11

Registry
My schematic is just a rough draft.. It wasn't a specific plan -- because I am very willing to admit that I don't know what I am doing. It doesn't have any connection to the faucet because I was trying to explain what my 'setup' was right now. Thanks for the information -- I don't want to burst anything!