Fresh water tank and algae - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2007, 03:24 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape
So far I have had to pull out our fresh water tank twice and power wash the inside to get rid of the algae growing. It dosen't take very long to get the job done, but if I could not have to do it again it would not break my heart. The first time I pulled it I had left some water in it for quite some time and it turned itself into a botanical garden. The second time there was not a lot of water in it at all but still it created enough vegetation to make the fresh water I put in taste like an old salad. I really hate to use bleach to try and stop the algae, I can't stand the taste of it. But I got to thinking that when we used to have a pickup camper I left water in the tank any number of times and it never did get any algae in it or taste bad. The only difference I could think of is the pickup camper tank was completely enclosed where no light would ever shine on it. The Escape tank hangs down out the back of the camper a bit and is subjected to a certain amount of light . So I'm thinking if I remove the tank and make a cover for it it would end the algae problem?? Any one have any thoughts on this before I do this job. Thanks Jerry.
jerry l elven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: I don't think you can do it any easier than add Bleach and water and take it out for a good tow over some uneven pavement then home for a drain, rince, drain cycle; then keep it full till next spring!!! Besides "SALAD" is good for you
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Can you paint the outside of the tank to stop light from getting in?

Tom Trostel
Old 11-29-2007, 08:21 AM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Definitely stopping the light will stop the algae growth, but algae is just a visible sign that the water isn't 100% clean. (Algae has to grow on something.) You may not get algal growth the next time but you might be growing bugs in there that you cannot see. I'd use the chlorine if you use the water for drinking.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Jerry,

If I were you, I'd just bite the bullet and put some concentrated bleach water into the tank, let it set for 24 hours and then attach a small diameter tube to the end of a garden hose and just flush the tank until there's no bleach odor or taste. Alge is going to grow if it has something onto which to attach.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hi jerry
Yes bleach it. I never leave the trailer with standing water in the tank. I keep it as dry as I can when not in use and each spring I add some bleach, fil the tank, leave it stand for a day then trippple flush before using it for the camping season. [If I don't, the wife says she can taste it.] If it's really bad, use some CLR and make sure to flush well before using. My tank is under the trailer with a full panel suporting it and being shaded by the trailer, I really don't think that light is a problem. Standing water in a warm inviroment, I think, would be worse. But that's me.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:08 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape
The first time I got algae in tank we had returned from camping and there was about 1 or 2 inches of water left in the tank but rather than draining it I left it in because we were going back camping the next weekend. Bad decision , our plans changed and the water sat in there for I'd guess 3 to 4 months. The next time we went I just filled it up and when I tasted the water It was like yukkk!! After I cleaned it it was fine for about a year then I didn't get it all out again as the drain is not in the bottom but near the bottom on the side of the tank. This time it wasn't near as bad, but still tasted bad, so out it came to get cleaned again. Now its OK. Our town is small about 450 people and we have good water here but it is not clorinated or treated with anything. Plus I sometimes use the water that flows in a creek next to where we camp, so I'm looking for a natural solution to the algae problem. I had thought about painting the tank but nixed that idea because if I get the algae in it again the light that shines through the tank is an aid in the cleaning of the inside of the tank. I really hate to use bleach, so I'll use it only as a last resort.
Thanks for the advise or words of wisdom. My wife trys to get me to eat more salad but even she wouldn't eat this. and then there's the salad in the coffee and in the dish water and on and on.
Once again thanks Jerry
jerry l elven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:49 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Here's what I have done. Every few months I drain and flush the tank. Fill with "filtered" water and add a bit of bleach. Let that sit for a few hours. Then drain and flush several times until the smell and taste is gone. I never put any water into the tank that hasn't been filtered.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:26 AM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
One thing I do is drain the tank after each outing by opening the drain provided for just this.

I am aware this sometimes wastes water, but I also have paid attention over the years to how much I typically use in a weekend etc and try not to FILL the whole tank if it won't be needed. I usually guess pretty well and often run out of water on my last rinse or flush. (I have a couple gallons in jugs for this and other emergencies)

If your tank has no drain, I can't help ya
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Koi ponds are expensive.
I'd throw a couple of goldfish in there and you'd have quite an attraction when camping.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Koi ponds are expensive.
I'd throw a couple of goldfish in there and you'd have quite an attraction when camping.
They're good but they're hard to fillet and you need quite a few of them.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:01 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
They're good but they're hard to fillet and you need quite a few of them.
cheers
Ian
Quote:
but still it created enough vegetation to make the fresh water I put in taste like an old salad.
Everyone knows that you need a Steak to go with salad...
Old 12-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Reading this thread got me to thinking about our little hot water heater. We have only had this unit for 9 months, so I don't have any experience with long-term storage yet. I did drain it for the winter, but is it still susceptible to algae growth if any water remains? It is stored outside in northern Illinois, so perhaps freezing is preventative enough. How about for the 2 to 3 weeks between uses in the summer? Does anyone do anything special for their water heaters (mine is a 2.5 gallon underseat unit)?
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:37 AM   #14

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Reading this thread go me to thinking about our little hot water heater. We have only had this unit for 9 months, so I don't have any experience with long-term storage yet. I did drain it for the winter, but is it still susceptible to algae growth if any water remains? It is stored outside in northern Illinois, so perhaps freezing is preventative enough. How about for the 2 to 3 weeks between uses in the summer? Does anyone do anything special for their water heaters (mine is a 2.5 gallon underseat unit)?
I think that sometimes new trailer owners read some of these threads and worry needlessly.
I think that algae is a very rare problem. I have never had algae growth in any of my trailers, slide in campers or motor homes in 40 years. For the last 20 years I have lived in the very hot Central Valley of California.
On the way home from a camping trip I open the fresh water drain tank valve.
I give the fresh water system a bleach treatment bleach once or twice a year which seems to eliminate any problems.

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Hi Jerry - your post that "Our town is small about 450 people and we have good water here but it is not clorinated or treated with anything. Plus I sometimes use the water that flows in a creek next to where we camp..." concerns me and this is where the source of your problem may be. Untreated water contains bacteria and spoors and such that the right environment will grow. The town water is likely OK, but creek water can contain all sorts of things. The taste is one problem, but the health issues of what you may be ingesting should be a greater concern. Bleach is your only solution to killing most of what's there (like 99%). Flushing it out properly will remove any taste along with the bacteria and spoors.

Dianne
Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #16

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Always drink upstream from the herd.

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #17

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
If we can locate the herd, Frederick can get his steak....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #18

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Plus I sometimes use the water that flows in a creek next to where we camp..." concerns me and this is where the source of your problem may be. Untreated water contains bacteria and spoors and such that the right environment will grow. The town water is likely OK, but creek water can contain all sorts of things. The taste is one problem, but the health issues of what you may be ingesting should be a greater concern. Bleach is your only solution to killing most of what's there (like 99%). Flushing it out properly will remove any taste along with the bacteria and spoors.

Hi, all - I concur with this. "Wild" water can contain lots of bad stuff, including the especially bad giardia & cryptosporidium, both causing whopping cases of diarrhea, cramps & gas. Both can be difficult to treat too. Beavers carry giardia and poop in those cold streams, thereby infecting unsuspecting consumers!
Check out the link to one of "Phred's poop sheets" on water treatment: http://www.phrannie.org/water.html. Seems to be good info, based on what I know.
Connie
ConnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Plus I sometimes use the water that flows in a creek next to where we camp..." concerns me and this is where the source of your problem may be. Untreated water contains bacteria and spoors and such that the right environment will grow. The town water is likely OK, but creek water can contain all sorts of things. The taste is one problem, but the health issues of what you may be ingesting should be a greater concern. Bleach is your only solution to killing most of what's there (like 99%). Flushing it out properly will remove any taste along with the bacteria and spoors.

Hi, all - I concur with this. "Wild" water can contain lots of bad stuff, including the especially bad giardia & cryptosporidium, both causing whopping cases of diarrhea, cramps & gas. Both can be difficult to treat too. Beavers carry giardia and poop in those cold streams, thereby infecting unsuspecting consumers!
Check out the link to one of "Phred's poop sheets" on water treatment: http://www.phrannie.org/water.html. Seems to be good info, based on what I know.
Connie

Good article.
I use a ceramic filter when backpacking. I was quite amazed with how well they filter. I put some food coloring in some water, then run the water through the filter. The filtered water had no signs of food coloring, it was perfectly clear. As pointed out in the article they're not cheap.
I also have one of the RV type filters that connects to a hose. I always use that when filling the fresh water tank. My main purpose here to remove some the iron and minerals from my well water.
I wouldn't use an open water source except for washing dishes and cleaning after the water has boiled. Also for showers use a solar shower filled with the open water source water. You don't need drinkable water to wash with. Using open water sources that way will extend the time you can continue to use the good clean fresh water you brought with you.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #20

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Cheer up!

You could be in one of the United States richest counties and be getting "Toilet to Tap" water.

This is being referred to as the great poop water controversy ...

I understand the science, and it make sense, but my brain is a bit squeamish tho..
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote