Fresh Water Tube Mold - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Fresh Water Tube Mold

Hello! I was just cleaning out my 5 gallon fresh water tank and discovered the tube inside which attatches to my water pump is molded! EWWWWWWWWW. Now this tube is 3/8 inch diameter and 17" long so not easy to stick anything in to clean. I'm headed to the Home Improvement store tomorrow for a replacement. What I'm wondering is how do I prevent this from happening to me? Do I need to remove the tank from the trailer after each trip, drain it, remove the tube and air dry it? It's just a portable tank that sits under my kitchen sink and I know some Scamp owners use something similar so I thought I'd ask here first. I dont know how long the water went unused by the previous owner or if it sat at all since there was some water in the tank and water dripping from the faucet when bumped during cleaning. I sure hope the PO (not Ed, he never used it) wasnt using it with a moldy tube but then as dirty as the rest of the trailer and fresh water tank were maybe they didnt realize there was a problem.

Any hints or tips for this situation?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Melissa I am not sure about why but the pipes on mine are the clear type and I dont see any build up. My guess is they left water in the tanks for an extended time in warm weather? I do not leave water in my tanks when not camping. I do give my tanks a really good cleaning out every year. I half fill up my tank and add about 1 qrt of vinger to the each 5 gallons of water. Then I let it sit for 24 hours and then drive it around the block a few times. Then I fill it up and then dump it - fill it again and dump. If I have been dry camping and having to fill my tanks a lot at campgrounds I will part way through the summer fill the tank with clean water at home and drain it a couple of times to get rid of any gunk build up that may be at the bottom of the tank - I also do that before I winterize it.

I never unless there is no other choose drink the water from the holding tank regardless.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hello! I was just cleaning out my 5 gallon fresh water tank and discovered the tube inside which attatches to my water pump is molded! EWWWWWWWWW. Now this tube is 3/8 inch diameter and 17" long so not easy to stick anything in to clean. I'm headed to the Home Improvement store tomorrow for a replacement. What I'm wondering is how do I prevent this from happening to me? Do I need to remove the tank from the trailer after each trip, drain it, remove the tube and air dry it? It's just a portable tank that sits under my kitchen sink and I know some Scamp owners use something similar so I thought I'd ask here first. I dont know how long the water went unused by the previous owner or if it sat at all since there was some water in the tank and water dripping from the faucet when bumped during cleaning. I sure hope the PO (not Ed, he never used it) wasnt using it with a moldy tube but then as dirty as the rest of the trailer and fresh water tank were maybe they didnt realize there was a problem.

Any hints or tips for this situation?
We flush our water system at least once a season with about a cup of bleach to 5-6 gallons of water, then once again before winterizing.
No problems so far after 7 years.
NOTE: be sure that the system is clear of bleach before adding RV anti-freeze.... A few drops of bleach in a gallon of RV anti-freeze will immediately turn it crystal clear. That will make it hard to see at the faucet when treating or untreating the system!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #4

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
Melissa, Floyd's advice is sage.........I go one step further, after I add the bleach, I 3/4 fill the tank with water, then I take the camper out for a few miles on the highway. This way the treated water splashes all over the inside top of the tank to treat all of the crevices. At home I drain and refill two times with new water and I'm ready for the next trip.
Doc the boonDOCer
campfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Following Floyd's advice is good. Added to that I filter all water going into the tank with a ceramic filter that also has a charcoal filter in the middle. Keeps a lot of the stuff that wants to grow out.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / 2002 Honda Odyssey
We shocked the tank with some bleach solution last spring and fall too, be sure to prime your water pump until you can tell that bleach and water are all the way drawn up into the water pipe and pump (you'll get a wiff of bleach in the water at the sink) and leave it in for at least 15 mins.

if you have a pressurized water connection you could put some bleach and water solution in a hose, connect it and hold it higher than the inside faucet with the faucet open so that the solution flows inside the plumbing up to the sink (this works with the Trill, some trailers may have more complicated inside plumbing)

Kev
Kevin Poll is offline   Reply With Quote