Fridge...used vs new - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-25-2015, 01:05 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Rather than relying on battery power and possibly running down your batter so that you don't have heat or refrigeration try thinking of the fridge running propane as an ice chest without the ice. That is the cooling properties of an ice chest are worse than the propane fridge. So if you pack stuff that doesn't need a lot of refrigeration you don't have fuss with battery powered refrigeration and it associated initial costs.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
If I needed to replace my fridge I think I would want to buy new. There's no telling what kind of food, mildew and mold were left behind in a used fridge. The insides of some the used fridges can be pretty nasty, even if they look clean.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Rather than relying on battery power and possibly running down your batter so that you don't have heat or refrigeration try thinking of the fridge running propane as an ice chest without the ice. That is the cooling properties of an ice chest are worse than the propane fridge. So if you pack stuff that doesn't need a lot of refrigeration you don't have fuss with battery powered refrigeration and it associated initial costs.
Huh? I'm missing your point..
Old 08-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #18

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
I am also confused by this? My FIL's propane fridge does a great job on propane...
Old 08-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #19

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Huh? I'm missing your point..

Sorry to confuse you. The point is appliances that use battery power use battery power. A propane fridge uses very little propane, no battery.
Initial cost of going with a battery only fridge includes additional battery, altering battery location to accommodate additional batteries. Solar cost go up as solar wattage is needed. A 50 Watt panel is alot cheaper than a 200 watt panel. Charge controller prices go up with wattage. Thus initial costs go up.
Since the furnace requires battery to run the fan, thus provide heat with a dead battery you don't heat and if you have a battery only fridge no fridge.

Clearer?
Old 08-25-2015, 01:21 PM   #20

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
I am also confused by this? My FIL's propane fridge does a great job on propane...
My Dometic also works good, however it's a little difficult sometimes to control temperature, I've had everything freeze inside the fridge.

If you've ever camped with an ice chest, you generally pack food that doesn't require heavy refrigeration, at least I didn't. To me the same thing should be true in small refrigerators, like an ice chest but don't need ice. However if they not working Ice works just fine.

Most weekenders don't need a lot.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Wink used vs new fridge

Well i have to tell you that I asked a similar question this time last year. I took my Trillium with original fridge to Peterborough RV and left it with them this Spring....lo and behold it wasn't the fridge it was the gas lines.
They put new ones in and replaced the regulator and voila! the fridge is working like a charm

just something to consider

C
Old 08-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #22

Colorado
Registry
I've been trying it on AC only... Haven't actually tasted the propane in the trailer yet...
Old 08-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #23

Arizona
Registry
Byron, I think I get you now… sounded like you were saying a propane fridge is no better than an ice chest without ice!!

As far as 3-way versus DC+solar… my feeling based on reading others' comments is that it's often more a philosophical choice than a practical or financial one. The latter has a pretty high cost of admission, but some people value the freedom from fossil fuels and/or the clean exterior appearance without ventilation grilles. The cost differential is less if you are starting from ground zero (i.e., without existing wiring, LP plumbing, and ventilation for a 3-way).

Personally I'd have no objection to a used fridge. Now a used porta-potty- that's another matter!
Old 08-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #24

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
I've been trying it on AC only... Haven't actually tasted the propane in the trailer yet...
Please, don't!! LOL...
Old 08-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #25

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Please, don't!! LOL...
But why NOT?
Old 08-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Mmmmmmm..... Propane
Old 08-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #27

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
The latter(DC compressor fridge) has a pretty high cost of admission, but some people value the freedom from fossil fuels and/or the clean exterior appearance without ventilation grilles.
Jon, you bring to mind a question. With no vents, where does the heat from a dc compressor refrigerator get dumped?

Regardless of whether the cooling is done via an absorption unit or via a compressor, the condenser coils still need to dump that heat somewhere.

Unlike the old home refrigerators with the condenser coils on the back, the newer home units have the condenser built into the walls, but they are still there. Feel the sides of your fridge at home. That's why installation instructions specify a minimum clearance around the unit

I don't know how the new dc units are made, but the point is that heat removed from inside the fridge has got to be dissipated somewhere. With no vents, that's into the trailer. Now, if you have shore power available and the trailer is air conditioned, there is probably little to worry about, the AC will just work a little harder. Here though, we are talking about boondocking. That extra heat in warm weather might not be too welcome.

Those of you who have invested in DC compressor fridges; where do they dump the heat? How does it affect the internal temp of the trailer? Is any kind of venting recommended?
Old 08-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #28

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Mmmmmmm..... Propane

5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge