Gray Tank Overflow? 2001 Scamp 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 01:41 PM   #1

Name: Rob
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 Layout 4
Wisconsin
Gray Tank Overflow? 2001 Scamp 16

Hello, we got our "new" 2001 Scamp 16 out for its first trip this past weekend and had an awesome time!

One problem that we ran into is that the gray water tank looks to have a overflow valve that was installed on the tank. This "overflow" is a barbed nipple. I found this when I heard/saw water pouring out of the gray tank area. I was relieved to find that the tank wasn't cracked but surprised to see the barbed nipple.

From my research, it doesn't look/sound like there should be an overflow, so I'm guessing this was added on by a previous owner, but just wanted to confirm. I'm guessing my options are either to plug this or connect a hose to an overflow gray water tank outside of the scamp. Any other thoughts or ideas? Thanks!!
rtmorris00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Overflow grey water tank drain is standard on any trailer. Would you prefer sink/shower back up instead?
Old 08-09-2017, 02:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Don't overfill and it won't overflow!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #4

Wisconsin
I guess I wouldn't prefer the sink backup, but based on what I was reading online, this is what I was expecting to happen when full. Thanks for the input! I'm glad to hear that the overflow drain is standard installed equipment. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2017, 03:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Do you have a shower?
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Do you have a shower?
Eddie
No, I don't have a shower.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
If the open barb fitting is pointing to the rear of the trailer that is where the shower drain hooks up. Look under your door side dinette seat you should see a hose coming from the kitchen sink. There should be another hose connection beside it, that hose comes up and loops back through the floor. That is your vent line. If yours is set up like I described you need to cap off the rear barb fitting, unless you like the auto dump feature you have.
I have seen the shower fitting on replacement tanks and the center of the barb was only to be drilled out if you had a shower drain line.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
If the open barb fitting is pointing to the rear of the trailer that is where the shower drain hooks up. Look under your door side dinette seat you should see a hose coming from the kitchen sink. There should be another hose connection beside it, that hose comes up and loops back through the floor. That is your vent line. If yours is set up like I described you need to cap off the rear barb fitting, unless you like the auto dump feature you have.
I have seen the shower fitting on replacement tanks and the center of the barb was only to be drilled out if you had a shower drain line.
Eddie
Thanks, Eddie! Yes, it looks like this is exactly what this is. Your post helped me to find a photo in the following thread that showed what this would look like when hooked up to the shower drain line: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...d-50137-2.html.

I don't necessarily like the auto dump feature, so I will most likely cap this off. Thanks, again!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #9

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Overflow grey water tank drain is standard on any trailer. Would you prefer sink/shower back up instead?
I have owned 14 various Rv's and there has never been an overflow on the grey water tank. This is so you don't dump dirty water on the ground. I've had everything from truck campers, trailers, 5th wheels, Class A and Class C motor homes. Yes you may have a back up in a sink or shower but in most RV's there's a monitor panel. I'm aware that most fiberglass units do not have a monitor panel. I really miss that in my Casita. There is an overflow on all clean water tanks so that you don't put to much pressure in them and burst them.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:03 AM   #10

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I have owned 14 various Rv's and there has never been an overflow on the grey water tank. This is so you don't dump dirty water on the ground. I've had everything from truck campers, trailers, 5th wheels, Class A and Class C motor homes. Yes you may have a back up in a sink or shower but in most RV's there's a monitor panel. I'm aware that most fiberglass units do not have a monitor panel. I really miss that in my Casita. There is an overflow on all clean water tanks so that you don't put to much pressure in them and burst them.
Thanks, Jann. This is my first camper with plumbing, but I was also under the impression that a gray tank shouldn't have an overflow, which is what led me to my post. I appreciate your further input on this topic.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
We had a 2014 Scamp 13 without a bath. We did have a gray water tank and a city water connection for the kitchen sink. The only way we could tell when the gray water tank was full was when the sink didn't drain. No overflow on the tank. I don't think you'd want one, if it drained on the ground below your trailer.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
probably used as a vent so water drains quicker.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Strange, since every single gray tank which I have owned , changed or serviced had an overflow/vent.
On a Scamp it consists of a tygon tube coming up through the floor of the trailer forming a loop and exiting through the floor.
Drain water must back up in the drain line to a level higher than the top of the loop , or be forced by a pump (as in the case of a shower drain) in order for the overflow to expel water. A full tank is still apparent to the moderately observant user from inside the trailer.
The overflow does act a vent as Steve suggests but does not drain the tank.
It merely expels the excess.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:50 PM   #14

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Strange, since every single gray tank which I have owned , changed or serviced had an overflow/vent.
On a Scamp it consists of a tygon tube coming up through the floor of the trailer forming a loop and exiting through the floor.
Drain water must back up in the drain line to a level higher than the top of the loop , or be forced by a pump (as in the case of a shower drain) in order for the overflow to expel water. A full tank is still apparent to the moderately observant user from inside the trailer.
The overflow does act a vent as Steve suggests but does not drain the tank.
It merely expels the excess.
If any dirty water overflows onto the ground you can be fined in many parks. A vent should be high enough that no water comes out of it. So an overflow and vent is a totally different thing.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:57 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
If any dirty water overflows onto the ground you can be fined in many parks. A vent should be high enough that no water comes out of it. So an overflow and vent is a totally different thing.
Perhaps I should not have called it an overflow, so just call it a vent then,and don't overfill your tank.(semantics solved).

To the first point...
How would you know it was dirty water after it is spilled on the dirt right where your pet was allowed to urinate, isn't the solution to pollution dilution?
Of course your response to my comment is a bit of a non sequitur. I was describing what is, not what some folks think should be.

The key is to understand what you have, then act responsibly, especially if you want to follow the rules (or just want to avoid a fine).

The vent you describe would merely allow water to back up into the sink assuming the vent tube extended higher than the sink, water seeks its own level.

If you really want to be shocked, look at the black water vent on many fiberglass trailers!

Tags
scamp