Gray Water Backup - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2003, 04:28 AM   #1
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
gray water backup

David - I am not familiar with how the plumbing in your trailer is laid out, but assume from your description of the problem that the sink drain is on the same line as your shower drain BEFORE the gray water tank. There should be a P-trap on the shower and sink drains. If water is backing up into your shower pan from the sink drain, there may be an obstruction between the shower and GW tank, such as long hair.
I keep a drain plug in the floor drain of the shower to prevent slosh, but also have a nifty device I bought at Fred Meyer in Oregon to clear the drains. It is an attachement to a garden hose that generates a pulse of water. The rubber part swells to fit the drain opening and then releases pulses of water into the drain. BE SURE TO HAVE A PLUG IN THE FLOOR DRAIN AND SOMETHING HEAVY ON THE SHOWER DRAIN PLUG OR GRAY WATER WILL BLOW EVERYWHERE. My brother used it to clear his shower drain of his daughter's extremely long hair.
Good Luck:zz

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 06:49 AM   #2
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Problem Solved

Thank's for your input, Sam. No, the grey tank vent pipe is shared only by the sink. I had to remove an aftermarket shelf to discover the problem: a horizontal section of pipe running to the grey tank was canted the wrong way! Water was standing in the elbow for the vent pipe and when air pressure built up in the grey tank the path of least resistance was the shower drain. I cut out about an 1 1/2" section of vertical ABS, pulled the 2 sections together and reconected them with a 39 cent pipe joiner--presto, problem solved :banana

I've heard that quality at Burro was on the decline in the later years. This is an example. Any good Q.C. person would have caught that pipe problem in an instant. :xx
Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote