Gray Water Tank Release - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #1

Name: Sue & Gene
Trailer: 1989 Scamper 16ft
Illinois
Registry
Gray Water Tank Release

Help!

The lever you pull to release the gray water tank, has pulled completely out-wondering do we have to buy the entire valve-anyone else have this issue?
Susanm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
If it won't thread back in you will need to replace the valve. Not hard to do, usually just four bolts nuts and washers. The valve just bolts in between two flanges. It's been a while but I think the valves are about $10-$15. At one time Wal mart carried them but if not any RV store carries them. Your handle probably pulled out because the seals were sticking to the gate valve. Hope the tank is empty.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanm34 View Post
Help!

The lever you pull to release the gray water tank, has pulled completely out-wondering do we have to buy the entire valve-anyone else have this issue?
Before you do anything else. check to see if the rod and handle which you just removed is threaded on the end. If so try just screwing it back in to see if the threads are still good inside. I apologise if that seems obvious.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
I just bought a GW valve from Scamp.
Here's the damage:

3" Sewer Termination Valve-V1
SKU: PLM026-v1
1 $15.00

Subtotal: $15.00
Shipping (UPS Ground): $16.03
Tax: $0.00
Total: $31.03

RonMayo
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Angry If your trailer is older...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanm34 View Post
-wondering do we have to buy the entire valve-
My gate valves had a small leak that dripped on the ground. I thought I could just replace the valves like Eddie suggested. I discovered that the new replacement gate valves are 1/4" larger in diameter and the bolts won't line up. I would have to re-plumb the entire drain system back to the tanks for new valves to fit... I bought an O-ring kit (that had a warning notice that it wouldn't fit older valves) and they're not leaking right now...
Old 08-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
When I ordered from Scamp I did specify the year and model so I hope that means what they sent me will fit. I haven't tried it yet but it looks good.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #7

Name: Sue & Gene
Trailer: 1989 Scamper 16ft
Illinois
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMayo View Post
When I ordered from Scamp I did specify the year and model so I hope that means what they sent me will fit. I haven't tried it yet but it looks good.
Let us know if it works out-I think we are going to a local RV shop, to see if they have the right size-if not, we have a couple of other things to order from Scamp, maybe that will make it worth the while-since the shipping charges are so high!
Susanm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
My gate valves had a small leak that dripped on the ground. I thought I could just replace the valves like Eddie suggested. I discovered that the new replacement gate valves are 1/4" larger in diameter and the bolts won't line up. I would have to re-plumb the entire drain system back to the tanks for new valves to fit... I bought an O-ring kit (that had a warning notice that it wouldn't fit older valves) and they're not leaking right now...
Frederick, something to check. Older RVs may have used a valve made by Bristol. It's possible this brand has the correct bolt pattern. I THINK Brisol is now the Camco brand. Might be worth check out rathering that replumbing
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Older RVs may have used a valve made by Bristol. I THINK Brisol is now the Camco brand.
All I see in stock in the local RV stores is Valterra, the brand that won't fit my plumbing.
For now, the O-ring/Gasket kit is working. I'll keep an eye out for Brisol and Camco.