Grey water shutter leaking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 06:08 PM   #1

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Grey water shutter leaking

We're getting ready for our virgin trip with Ziggy (1991 Scamp) and the grey water shutter is dripping after I've completed the water pressure leak check. The shutter value won't seal. I pulled the hose cap off and looked into the grey water shut off tube that runs to the grey water tank and I can see the water leaking past the shutter value.

I did a search for leaks and found an old thread from 2011 suggesting the you might be able to install a new set of O-ring seals on the shutter. I also found another comment that suggests that Scamp changed the size of the shutter and a new one is slightly bigger requiring a re-fit back to the tank. What a mess!

At this point, we're going out for a first camping trip this weekend, leaving Friday, and we might be forced to use a bucket for washing things since we don't want to get in trouble with the management over a leaking water tank.

Any advice?
Old 04-27-2016, 06:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Shutter? That's a new word for me! I think of these things as gates or valves... but whatever. You should be able to take it apart. Four bolts and washers. Take it apart and clean it well then lubricate it and put it back together. It's possible some grit is in the gate and that's what's causing the leak. I'd try that first before replacing the O rings (although it's just about as cheap to replace the whole valve) 3" Slide Valve with Gate Seals - Valterra T1003 VPM - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I have only seen 2 sizes of "dump valves" in trailers Google rv dump valve and take a look. The smaller one costs about 14 dollars on Amazon or at any rv supply store. Trying to rebuild one is probably not cost effective.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #4

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Excellent advice, thanx

Thanx Donna! I've flushed some water through there and wondered about it simply being dirty. We have an RV supply place in Somerset, KY name Keller's that is quite good so it looks like I'll be visiting them tomorrow or Friday for a parts kit if cleaning it out doesn't work. Really appreciate your help with this!

Jack, this sounds like the smaller of the two since our Scamp is from 1991. Should be too much trouble since I can easily see the four screws/bolts holding it together. Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Shutter? That's a new word for me! I think of these things as gates or valves... but whatever. You should be able to take it apart. Four bolts and washers. Take it apart and clean it well then lubricate it and put it back together. It's possible some grit is in the gate and that's what's causing the leak. I'd try that first before replacing the O rings (although it's just about as cheap to replace the whole valve) 3" Slide Valve with Gate Seals - Valterra T1003 VPM - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World
Old 04-27-2016, 07:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You probably (maybe) need the 1-1/2" ? Like this?
RV Waste Valve w/Plastic Handles, 1-1/2"
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:17 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Interesting. There's a cap that contains any gate leak at my gray water outlet.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:19 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You wont be the FIRST to have a leak...and since it's "grey" water, if you dont get a chance to fix it, I'd set the pan you're talking about washing your dishes in under it and enjoy. Although, you didnt say how MUCH it's leaking. Plus, if you're near a sewer hookup, you could always attach the hose and leave it. Do NOT do the black water tank this way...but again, it's grey water.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote