Hand Pump Stopped Working - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #1

Name: Julie
Trailer: 13' 2007 Scamp without bathroom
Arizona
Hand Pump Stopped Working

Hi, last time I went to use the hand pump it didn't work but after searching the forum I was able to follow the advice on using the shop vac to get it working again. This time no luck. I'm leaving tomorrow and don't have time to go out and shop for parts but are there any other quick fixes anyone knows of ? It's not dire that I have the pump working but it would be nice.
Thank you !
realgranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I don't have a quick solution.

But....is your manual pump the one with a white plastic handle. If so, it's a terrible unit. My quit working and I tried a second which lasted a short while. I then purchased a Rocket hand pump which works great and it throws more water with each pump. Any RV store generally carries them.

Here's a picture of the Rocket on the left and the high rise city water faucet which I purchased at West Marine. The city water faucet swivels up and down which is great for a lot reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
high rise faucets pump & folding #1.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The pump Joy is showing is what I replaced the plastic pump with. They work very well and new ones even better. It's a Valterra RP800 Rocket Hand Pump. The RP800 is Valterra's part number. RV stores will either have or can get it, often within 24 hours.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #4

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We replaced our leaky hand pump with a marine foot pump and fynspray spigot. We come from sailing and it just made sense not to have to use one hand to pump when usually first off we are washing hands! Of course you wouldn't have time for something like that before this trip. We took out the water pump and just have the foot pump. We lived on board for 8 years without pressure water and it was less of a problem than you would imagine.
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
We went with several pumps over the years, even an electric submersible one that had a switch built into the faucet. It just seemed that the water system was going to be a continuing 'high maintenance' and we'd end up using gallon jugs so many times that we got used to working out of jugs.

So I removed the water tank and all the plumbing, plugged the drain and fill hole and we just use gallon jugs. We keep a couple of milk crates in the TV with water jugs, and another in the trailer under the sink.

Half of our jugs are labeled "good water" which means they contain either water from our own well at home, or sterile water purchased along the way that can be used for drinking or making tea or coffee. The other jugs are also filled before we embark, but can be refilled from whatever source along the way and are used for bathing, dish washing or whatever where mineral taste, chlorine or florine don't matter.

The plastic milk bottles we initially used didn't last long, but we found that the WallMart in Victoria, TX sold water in identical sized bottles of a better quality. Since we needed water for a few days boondocking nearby we bought enough to replace all our bottles. That was about 5 years ago and we haven't had a 'leaker' yet.

I did a similar mod to the gray-water system -- but that's another story!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren G. Hedahl View Post
We went with several pumps over the years, even an electric submersible one that had a switch built into the faucet. It just seemed that the water system was going to be a continuing 'high maintenance' and we'd end up using gallon jugs so many times that we got used to working out of jugs.

So I removed the water tank and all the plumbing, plugged the drain and fill hole and we just use gallon jugs. We keep a couple of milk crates in the TV with water jugs, and another in the trailer under the sink.

Half of our jugs are labeled "good water" which means they contain either water from our own well at home, or sterile water purchased along the way that can be used for drinking or making tea or coffee. The other jugs are also filled before we embark, but can be refilled from whatever source along the way and are used for bathing, dish washing or whatever where mineral taste, chlorine or florine don't matter.

The plastic milk bottles we initially used didn't last long, but we found that the WallMart in Victoria, TX sold water in identical sized bottles of a better quality. Since we needed water for a few days boondocking nearby we bought enough to replace all our bottles. That was about 5 years ago and we haven't had a 'leaker' yet.

I did a similar mod to the gray-water system -- but that's another story!

Be careful, filtered water may be ok, but distilled water can be harmful. Look for studies and then decide.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You might check the condition of your hose and connections from the pump to the water tank. If it's cracked or loose you will suck air and it won't draw water

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'm interested in volume-per stroke- my old pump was an ounce a stroke, which is why I took it out. (I actually measured it! Eight strokes= one cup of water)

Do any of the pumps mentioned put out more than that?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'm interested in volume-per stroke- my old pump was an ounce a stroke, which is why I took it out. (I actually measured it! Eight strokes= one cup of water)

Do any of the pumps mentioned put out more than that?

Francesca

I believe the Rocket Pump is about 4 oz per pump.
To me that's about right. Much more and we'd probably be pumping good water down the drain. I like to make the water in the tank to last at least a week.

That's also one of the reasons why don't have or want and electric pump. Too much water wasted and filling up the gray water tank.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #10

Registry
Hmmm...that pump looks exactly like the one I pulled out- are you sure about that four ounces, Byron? Seems like a lot. I can't find any actual numbers in the ads etc. so manufacturer isn't talkin'!

I don't suppose you'd run outside with a measuring cup, verify the number, and and get back to me...

Francesca
Old 04-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Hmmm...that pump looks exactly like the one I pulled out- are you sure about that four ounces, Byron? Seems like a lot. I can't find any actual numbers in the ads etc. so manufacturer isn't talkin'!

I don't suppose you'd run outside with a measuring cup, verify the number, and and get back to me...

Francesca
Just for you Francesca..
I just measured 2 oz per pump.
Still plenty adequate for my purposes. It's a lot better than my MRS filter/pump used in the back country.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #12

Registry
Thanks, Byron! I owe you one...

Two ounces per stroke is TWICE the volume of my old pump, so sounds pretty good.

Francesca
Old 06-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #13

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Quote:
Thanks, Byron! I owe you one...

Two ounces per stroke is TWICE the volume of my old pump, so sounds pretty good.

Francesca
I get about a half cup per pump with my foot pump. I come from a boating background where a foot pump is more common. It's a lot easier to wash your hands when you aren't using one to pump water!
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp / Silver Ford 150
We also went with Rocket Pump, under $30 from Amazon. Holds its siphon, so you are not always filling the line first whenever you start pumping. It has held up well, unlike the one that came with the new Scamp.
barring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #15

Name: Julie
Trailer: 13' 2007 Scamp without bathroom
Arizona
I haven't checked in in a while but wanted to thank you all for the replies. The pump is still in the same condition but before it's camping season for me again I will try to replace it. Thanks !
realgranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:28 PM   #16

Name: Claudia
Trailer: Currently shopping
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by realgranola View Post
Hi, last time I went to use the hand pump it didn't work but after searching the forum I was able to follow the advice on using the shop vac to get it working again. This time no luck. I'm leaving tomorrow and don't have time to go out and shop for parts but are there any other quick fixes anyone knows of ? It's not dire that I have the pump working but it would be nice.
Thank you !
I can use my pump from the water tank but not when connected to fresh water. Any suggestions?
thecrazymacys1 is offline   Reply With Quote