Help Please- Wet Floors in My New Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Help Please- Wet Floors in My New Bigfoot

Hi All,

Unfortunately I made a big mistake driving in Kings Canyon today. I accidentally left my water pump on, then the bouncy road apparently turned on my kitchen sink. When I stopped a half hour later, my grey water tank filled and I was left with water on the floor of the trailer. Most of it was easily toweled up, but there’s water slowly dripping out the bottom left part of the fiberglass on the underside of the trailer, and some got into the aft right outside storage as well. The cabinet under the sink got quite damp as well.

What should I do? I’ve currently drained the grey water, and I’ve jacked the rear of the trailer up to hopefully get the rest of the water to drain out a bit. I don’t think much got onto the floor (I’m guessing 3 gallons or less), but I’m concerned of getting trapped moisture in my nearly new trailer. I’m planning on camping one more night, and was considering turning the heat up to max to dry it out a bit. What else should I do, or similarly, should I call off the trip to start tearing this trailer apart to get the moisture out?

Thanks,

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
AD0CDEEB-C809-48D0-85C4-1E1899AD82F1.jpg  
rdf0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
You could park it for a while in the dry Arizona desert.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
There are drain holes all around the outside of my Bigfoot. Yours should be similar. I suggest you empty all lower cabinets and wipe out as much water as possible. Leave the cabinets open and use a fan to move air into all the hard to access areas. The quicker you get rid of the water, the better.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Go to a local rental company and rent a high powered dehumidifier to use for a day or so. Those machines can quickly pull many gallons of moisture out of the air which will help to dry it out quickly. Also if you have a furnace turn that on. Be sure the model of dehumidifier you rent has a fitting for a drain hose at the bottom. What happens with the dehumidifier is the moisture in the materials wants to move out, ie evaporate into the dry air. The dehumidifier condenses that moisture from the air and gets rid of it as a stream of water going out the hose from the unit. So this is the fastest speed drying method which will quickly help reduce the risk of water damage and prevent issues such as mold and mildew from developing. Do have a window at least partially open so that there is fresh air coming in. But the goal is to have it be warm and toasty inside to help draw out the moisture and get things dried out.

This is the method that professional companies use when they come in to treat a home that has been flooded due to leaking roofs, plumbing disasters, basement flooding, etc. If need be you can hire such a company to take care of this issue for you. If you are in a location where you don't know who to call just pick up the phone and call a local real estate agent or homeowners insurance company. They keep a reference list of these companies.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:38 AM   #5

Name: Elliott
Everywhere
If you have shore power, running the air conditioner (at a fairly high set point) and the furnace at the same time might help. The A/C will pull humidity from the air, while the furnace will raise the temperature and therefore lower relative humidity.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:04 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf0011 View Post
Hi All,
Unfortunately I made a big mistake driving in Kings Canyon today. I accidentally left my water pump on, then the bouncy road apparently turned on my kitchen sink. When I stopped a half hour later, my grey water tank filled and I was left with water on the floor of the trailer. Most of it was easily toweled up, but there’s water slowly dripping out the bottom left part of the fiberglass on the underside of the trailer, and some got into the aft right outside storage as well. The cabinet under the sink got quite damp as well.
What should I do? I’ve currently drained the grey water, and I’ve jacked the rear of the trailer up to hopefully get the rest of the water to drain out a bit. I don’t think much got onto the floor (I’m guessing 3 gallons or less), but I’m concerned of getting trapped moisture in my nearly new trailer. I’m planning on camping one more night, and was considering turning the heat up to max to dry it out a bit. What else should I do, or similarly, should I call off the trip to start tearing this trailer apart to get the moisture out?
Thanks,
Ryan
Hey Ryan, this is not the end of the world and you're not the first to have this happen to and you caught it quick and it's only 3 gallons . Being it's dripping out the bottom is a good thing. You're using towels to soak up what you can and that's good also. I wouldn't cut the trip short as you say it's only one more night. Leave the cabinet doors open while you're parked and a little heat won't hurt either. When you get home you can do the big time dryer heat and fan thing. We've all left the water pump switch on by accident . I replaced mine with a lighted one to remind me it's still on.
David B's desert comment works too. My SoCal desert is at 10% humidity & 95* with no rain in sight and I've got plenty of room for another TT for a dry out .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I can't judge the extent of moisture. To avoid mold, mildew and related problems I believe you want to act quickly. I would open every window and vent you can safely open, unless it is rainy & humid outside. That includes having them open, safely while towing. If parked, open the door. Run the Fantastic fan and any exhaust fans.

I agree, if it is rainy, run the heat and A/C, as both will dehumidify.

Carpet cleaners and flood mitigation experts use industrial air handlers that move much more air than most propeller fans. They contain a fan like a hamster's treadmill in a sturdy plastic housing. Consider renting one for a day. Also, the air comes out at floor level, which is good.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
rdf, check your fbRV private messages, and email. I sent you a message, my Fresno driveway is available, but no elect until I get there Wed or Thurs. (too late?) I sent phone number, I am just off the Kings Canyon Freeway. David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #9

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
water pump

I have 2 methods to determine if the pump is on. #1 I as others have, is an inspection list before travel, interior and exterior. #2 My Wife asks me if I have turned the water pump off.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:51 PM   #10

Name: Ryan
California
Thanks

Everybody,

Thankyou very much for the replies. I really appreciate the advice, and especially those that offered up their place to do some work/park my trailer.

Fortunately, I don't think as much water got into the trailer as I originally was concerned about. After toweling the floor out, I jacked the front of the trailer way up, then cleaned out all the compartments. Some water (I'd say less than a liter) dripped out the drain vent in the back, and at another spot at the underside of the trailer. I ran the heat hot last night, then drove it home to Palmdale this morning.

Now I have the cabinets open, the heat full up, and a house fan blowing under the cabinet. I also have the tongue tilted way up to allow any more water to drain (if there's still any in there). I also put two large buckets of "Damprid" brand desiccant agent in the trailer (one on the floor under the table and the other in the aft storage compartment). I haven't seen any more drips out the rear vent, and I can't see any signs of moisture. I'll keep the trailer jacked up for the week with fans running, but other than that I plan to put an end to this latest saga as a slightly emotional lesson to double check my water pump before going under way. It also made me wonder two things- 1. why does Bigfoot make their grey water tank significantly smaller than their fresh water tank 2. why not have an overflow valve on a grey-water tank that vents externally- if it overflows it's going to end up outside either way, so why not have it go straight outside rather than first make a stop through the floor of my trailer?

Ryan
rdf0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:42 AM   #11

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf0011 View Post
Everybody,

It also made me wonder two things-
1. why does Bigfoot make their grey water tank significantly smaller than their fresh water tank

2. why not have an overflow valve on a grey-water tank that vents externally- if it overflows it's going to end up outside either way, so why not have it go straight outside rather than first make a stop through the floor of my trailer?

Ryan
Hello Ryan.
I have not seen, in identification and comment, the pattern and year of your Bigfoot.

After such an adventure it would be nice to check with Bigfoot if they would have found an interesting solution to avoid this problem.

Maybe other members have already fixed it with a homemade method ???
It would be nice that they share on this post ...

My nephew had a similar problem, but no damage.
It has a Bigfoot with toilet and shower.
The water connection behind the toilet had a slight leak which eventually filled up the gray water tank. He saw it in the morning at the survey. Lucky, the water had accumulated in the base of the shower only, which was easy to correct, but that could have overflowed ...

I look at my Bigfoot and I see that it would be easy to install a "P" trap with a drain plug, between the gray water tank and the drain valve.

I'll probably do it.
It is certainly less panic-stricken to perceive or to be told on the road, that there is water flowing under our caravan, than to live what you have lived.
It's just gray water after all, but outside...

Have a good day,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:01 PM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Why is the grey water tank smaller?

Because they figure some fresh water will be used for drinking, cooking, flushing toilets, putting out campfires, mopping floors, or washing windows. Your mileage may vary.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #13

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
It is felt, by myself and others, that most gray water is biodegradable. If it is allowed to go out on the ground,it is not a sound idea. Bears like the smell of the food particles, soap, deodorant, or other things in the outflow. The rangers want us to not use the outside to pour gray water. By accident, it is just an accident. Both go down the black water collection points. Seen both waters dumped randomly about, these people don't care about others that will use an area. Bear can come when we are gone.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #14

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
It is felt, by myself and others, that most gray water is biodegradable. If it is allowed to go out on the ground,it is not a sound idea. Bears like the smell of the food particles, soap, deodorant, or other things in the outflow. The rangers want us to not use the outside to pour gray water. By accident, it is just an accident. Both go down the black water collection points. Seen both waters dumped randomly about, these people don't care about others that will use an area. Bear can come when we are gone.

Later Kenny
Kenny, I think you are absolutely correct. It's always puzzled me why outside showers that allow the shower (grey) water to drain directly on the ground are permissible.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
water

All my water stuff has been taken out of my Scamp 13f maybe its for the best after reading this. Bad bad thing. Sorry?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you got rid of the trailer entirely, you'd have no problems at all.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
glenn I just hadn't thought of that at all I guess I can start where the roof? you know some of us just rock!!

thank you
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot