How I installed a Bidet into my Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13 feet
Washington
How I installed a Bidet into my Scamp

We like having bidets so when we got a Scamp with a bathroom I put one in.

Several manufacturers make add-on bidets you can attach to any toilet. The Scamp bathroom is so cramped I wasn’t sure any bidet I saw for sale would fit. I bought the narrowest one I could find.

Amazon sells the Greenco bidet for about $23.

When this Greenco bidet arrived I discovered it wouldn’t fit unless it was modified. The problem is there isn’t much space on the side of the toilet that is mounted in a Scamp bathroom for that “water flow control knob” and “nozzle angle adjusting switch” dongle thing-a-ma-bob shown in the photo above.

By the way, add-on bidets install easily on toilets – you remove the toilet seat, mount the bidet and put the toilet seat back on. The contraption ends up looking like this:

How I modified the Greenco bidet to fit the Scamp:

Notice the “adjustable sliding brackets” in the photo below:

I realized that if I modified one of these brackets, I could make the Greenco bidet fit my Scamp.

Here is a closer look at an unmodified bracket:

I sliced a bit of the right hand bracket off using my bandsaw. The modified bracket looks like this:

By modifying the bracket in this way it is possible to mount the bidet so the controls are closer to the toilet, i.e. further away from the wall. The bidet mount now looks like this:

The result is that the bidet controls are far enough away from the wall I don’t expect any trouble.

The photo shows a plastic rivet cap that looks like it might be holding the bidet control away from the wall. It is actually well below the control. There is a clear space between the wall and the bidet control.

The original Scamp toilet installation didn’t have a stop valve. I put one in. I used a dual stop valve with 3/8” and ¼” compression outlets so I could supply both the bidet and the toilet.

Here is a photo of the stop valve behind the Scamp toilet:

A standard stainless braid covered toilet supply line leaves the stop valve heading toward the toilet.

The supply tubing that comes with the Greenco bidet doesn’t fit into a ¼” compression stop valve outlet. I ran a short length of tubing that does fit the valve, from the stop valve to one end of a brass adapter. Tubing that fits the bidet leaves the brass adapter heading toward the bidet. See the photo. I force plastic onto adapters when it doesn’t really want to fit by heating the end in very hot water. I heat only the very end of the plastic that needs to expand to get onto the adapter, leaving the part I will hold unheated so it will have enough structural strength to hold on to while I force it on.

I changed the Scamp Pex-A tubing near the toilet to copper. I would not do this if I were to do this job again, as I am getting more experienced with what you can do with Pex-A. All the plumbing in my 2002 16 foot Scamp is done in Pex-A. It is not that commonly used in the area where I live. Getting fittings here when you need them can be a bit of a problem. This type of tubing is also known as “expansion pex”, “Uponor pex”, or “Wirsbo”. To change from Pex-A to copper in this area I used a Sharkbite push fit fitting.

This type of push fit fitting works to couple Pex-A with copper.

I prefer to avoid push fit fittings. I am an old geezer who doesn’t believe in magic. It is a known fact that once a fitting realizes you have no faith in it, it can lose its will to live and fail.

But my cheap hand operated Pex-A expansion tool was too big to work conveniently in the cramped space outside the bathroom in the cupboard beside the trailer heater where I had cut the Scamp plumbing, so as a last resort I used a push fit fitting.

If I were to do this job now, I would stay with Pex-A up to the stop valve and only use an adapter to copper sweat or NPT to get into a stop valve if I couldn’t find the appropriate Pex-A inlet double compression outlet stop valve.

I don’t like drilling new holes in the Scamp, especially if I’m experimenting with something odd like a bidet. However, I wanted to secure the copper pipe supplying the toilet. Instead of drilling holes, I attached a chunk of plastic to the wall with 3M Command removable adhesive strips. Then I attached the bracket that holds the copper pipe to this plastic piece with screws. See the photo.

This new bidet in the Scamp works as well as the more expensive ones we have at home.
David in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #2

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Well that's pretty slick. I had an Aunt that had a bidet installed in her townhouse and she loved it.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #3

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
That is a weird drinking fountain! LOL! Don't think I will do this modification but good job!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Thanks for the details

I am always looking for mods and additions for the Scamp. This is for next year. I've already spent too much for this year. The mods are part of the RV life style for me.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #5

Name: Therisa
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Vermont
This has changed my toilet outlook for the Scamp altogether! We have bidets in the regular house and I had not thought about how I would feel in the Scamp. Excellent! Thank you!
DetroitRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
Currently $18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitRed View Post
This has changed my toilet outlook for the Scamp altogether! We have bidets in the regular house and I had not thought about how I would feel in the Scamp. Excellent! Thank you!
I ordered two so that I would have a spare and ened up putting the spare

in the house.
https://www.amazon.com/Greenco-Non-E...1790662&sr=8-2
Old 04-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Registry
the 2nd Bidet

I posted this once b4 but I lost it (and this time I can't even blame the cat).The bidet is in, but not tested for leaks. I really thought that it looked like the furnished install kit would fit, so I removed the toilet to get to the valve only to find it was a slightly different size. I re-installed the toilet and cut the ½ inch PEX-A, added a “T” and $20 worth of reducers and parts and now all is well. Mine was closer to the wall than yours, and I needed to trim more off to get it to fit, resulting in it being a little more off center. I also have the same one in the house and it fit with out mods and works well. If summer ever gets here, I’ll test it for leaks. Thanks for the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
13a Bidet pipe.jpg  
Old 04-13-2020, 08:32 PM   #8

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Thank you for such an interesting thread. I really like this bidet thing. We don't have one at home, tried to mount a bidet we received as an xmas present but could not get it to fit right. Maybe I will try again with a different model/brand. Food for thought...er...water in the trough...er...thanks!
Old 04-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #9

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I guess I'll try to engineer one on our porta potty.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post

Good way to quickly fill the porta potti.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #11

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
If using a porta potti, there will be no force behind the water to make the bidet work. In such a circumstance, I would suggest a cleaned dishwashing liquid bottle or other small squeeze bottle.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #12

Tennessee
Not a VERY small squeeze bottle...eye dropper bottle most likely won't work. And if you use a larger squeeze bottle be sure to get the angle right...why not just attach a handheld shower head and a hose long enough to reach the Loo? Does the bidet attach to the cold or water line? Not ever having experienced a bidet I just have many considerations to ponder...Sorry, sorry, maybe I have been in self quarantine too long...
Old 04-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #13

Wisconsin
Registry
Cold water line

[QUOTE=Rzrbrn;774608] Does the bidet attach to the cold or water line?

The two of us tapped into the water pressure in different ways. They show in the pictures above. They are very east to hook to a home toilet but must be adapted to an RV. Note also that the one we used is no longer available and most others are not available until mid-summer.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #14

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Not a VERY small squeeze bottle...eye dropper bottle most likely won't work. And if you use a larger squeeze bottle be sure to get the angle right...why not just attach a handheld shower head and a hose long enough to reach the Loo? Does the bidet attach to the cold or water line?..
I had a handheld attachment in my home at one time, spray was the head for a kitchen sprayer. That worked fine but tended to leak sometimes. It was hooked up to the cold water with a similar arrangement to what the other posters have shown. In an RV, a bidet would be hooked to the cold water as well. In a private home, there are many options. We have electricity to the bidet toilet seat, so the water is heated.

With the squeeze bottle, one learns quickly how to get the angle right.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #15

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Our Dometic potty has a pressurized flush rinse. maybe a fitting into the side of the water reservoir. wash is moments. water temp ? = ambient . could be sharp awakening in the cold mornings !

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:53 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good job on the installation.
We have had heated seat home bidets for over 30 years, they are mighty fine things. We are on a septic tank system and the bidet keeps lots of toilet paper out of the tank.
We’ve been using one of these portable sprayers when camping with good results.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I don’t know why this model isn’t available at Amazon anymore but there are other options. I chose this model because of the simple spray head design and angle. It cost $9.99. It allows the use of warm water and can be used in the campground bathrooms. It cleans and stores easily but is a little awkward to use.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:47 AM   #17

Tennessee
I tried using a bidet once, a long time ago. I try hard to not think of the experience. I backed into it, turned it on with great difficulty, and thoroughly wet my pants. It was most difficult and mind curdling to try to leave a public facility with one's pants drenched from waist to ankle. I may be misremembering, but I am quite certain the water jet went up my nose. I do not recall how that exactly occurred, and I have no interest in delving into that memory, not in the least.

Saving toilet paper? The only way you can save TP is by not using it. That suggests that you...that you...don't use TP...after a crap...OMG...I consider this forum to be a civilized, god fearing forum...I cannot get my mind around this...I am starting to mentally convulse...
Old 04-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A bidet allows your hind end (and front if your a lady) to be thoroughly cleaned with water. A small amount of TP is all you need for a dry, even a few face tissues are enough. If the TP is dirtied then maybe you didn’t do a good cleaning.

Some bidets, like my mom’s, have rear end air dryers, leg warming air flow, heated seat, an air filter, a smart system that learns your patterns to turn the heaters to low when it is unlikely you would use it, a night light, programmable wand extension and oscillation, and a hand held remote control for precise aiming. We got it from Costco years ago, on sale, for a little over $300.

Our first bidet was in Japan. Our toilet was in a very small room and there was this control box with kanji on it. I pressed a few buttons and turned a few knobs and saw a little cylinder extend and retract. I had no idea what it was so I was checking it out up close and pressing random buttons. It squirted me straight between the eyes. I jumped back and it sprayed the far wall. I didn’t try it again for a few months until my wife showed me how to use it.

I’ve read that bidet sells have increased due to the TP shortage.

If you have rear end medical issues or a sensitive hind end, a bidet is a mighty fine thing. I would love to have a warm water bidet in my trailer but it won’t fit.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
How does the bidet affect your usage. Does the water used fill up the porta potti or black tank much quicker? More trips to the sani-dump?
Old 07-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #20

Wisconsin
Registry
Back in stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Seattle View Post
We like having bidets so when we got a Scamp with a bathroom I put one in.

Amazon sells the Greenco bidet for about $23.

This new bidet in the Scamp works as well as the more expensive ones we have at home.
I paid about $17 for my first one last year, then could not get a 2nd because they were out of stock. Now they are back but $30.
https://www.amazon.com/Greenco-Non-E...4250145&sr=8-8

Tags
scamp