How to avoid mould in water tank between uses - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-08-2014, 07:09 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If you're worried about the inside of your water tank, consider that the trailer water pipes are a simple extension of the tank and probably also contain mold. There's someone on the site who worked extensively with food grade systems and has commented how difficult it is to keep mold out of systems.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:32 AM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Norm,
Do you do anything special to your Scamp's water system to keep it clean and disinfected?

Carl

Old 07-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #17

Florida
Water

Like most people, I put a little bleach in a full water tank a couple times a year and pump it into the system. I usually do it while home in the summer, letting it sit in the system. Before we leave in the fall I flush the water system from our city water supply.

On our trips to Newfoundland there is often a boil water notice in every provincial park and many towns. Ginny is very tense about water though when you ask they Park rangers they typically say they drink the water, that the notice seems to be a park spring time pro forma action that the locals just ignore.

Taking water with us from home is not an option though we do always have a case of bottled water in the car.

We do have an advantage because we use our water continuously except for the summer.

In the motor home we used to have a super low flow filter that literally took everything out of the water, even viruses. Now we often use a primary filter on the water when hooked up to water.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #18

Arkansas
How to avoid mould in water tank between uses

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Like most people, I put a little bleach in a full water tank a couple times a year and pump it into the system. I usually do it while home in the summer, letting it sit in the system. Before we leave in the fall I flush the water system from our city water supply.

On our trips to Newfoundland there is often a boil water notice in every provincial park and many towns. Ginny is very tense about water though when you ask they Park rangers they typically say they drink the water, that the notice seems to be a park spring time pro forma action that the locals just ignore.

Taking water with us from home is not an option though we do always have a case of bottled water in the car.

We do have an advantage because we use our water continuously except for the summer.

In the motor home we used to have a super low flow filter that literally took everything out of the water, even viruses. Now we often use a primary filter on the water when hooked up to water.
Norm,
Thanks, for the information! Prevention is worth a pound of cure! Being sick of the road is no fun! Bad water can cause stomach issues! Keeping bottle water handy is a good idea, when traveling!

Carl
Old 07-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #19

Florida
We carry it in the car because we're sometimes in places, like desert roads, where there is little or no water. It's really a back up. It's also nice while driving. We are big water drinkers, having given up carbonated drinks, another RV benefit for us.

We have been a lot of places that admittedly have bad water and have no gotten sick, admittedly Ginny is more careful than I am. We do not drink 'stream water'. For super emergencies we carry a very good million gallon filter should the world collapse.

On Fogo and Change Islands off NL, we never had a water hook up and filled our tanks primarily from our collapsible plastic container. The water was the color of urine but tasted fine, though the locals never used it for making tea. On change island the water was lighter colored but still yellow. I never could figure out what the colorant was, there was no odor so I assume it's not a sulphur compound.

I'll have to search water colorants.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #20

Arkansas
The sulfur water that I have seem is off color (yellowish), but it had the smell of sulfur! But, you could sure taste the sulfur! Old timers claim that in the early days the rail road workers uses this water in the hot Arkansas summer and that it would prevent heat strokes. I do not know this to be true or not. But, you can get free sulfur water at the city park in Heber Springs, Arkansas! All you want!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: '84 Bigfoot b17
British Columbia
Hi everybody,
This has turned into an interesting chat with some good tips posted thank you. Seems most of us keep tank topped up with good water to start with and add small amount of bleach (maybe). That all makes sense but here for winter storage where it gets very cold, draining the entire system is necessary, ...so during the fall when temps can fluctuate a lot between freezing and "warm"...how does one get the system totally dry? i.e no moisture for mould to start/grow? I suspect many of you just crack the system drain and call it a day...if using a small amount of bleach in the final "drain" water it should zap any potential spores right? (so maybe getting it 100% dry is not necessary)?
Cheers,
John
Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #22

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Do I understand all this correctly? One should leave the Petcock drain to the outside of the trailer open when not full of wAter to allow the tank to air out.

Two, one could add a small amount of bleach to water in tank that will be used to ward off junk... Say what? A couple of tablespoons? Is it drinkable then if you wished?

I've been keeping my tank empty between trips but have not left drain open. Hmmmm

When done for year, perhaps after my final bleach and water treatment I just will drain system but NOT rinse it, then do the antifreeze bit.

Sound accurate?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I normally don't keep my trailer stored with water in the tanks for two reasons:
1) if water is left in the tanks that has high sulfur content it can get pretty smelly after a short time in hot weather. Found that out the hard way.
2) I don't normally like to add more weight than needed to the trailer for better mpg when traveling. Only fill the tanks prior to leaving if I am going a short distance and there is no water available at destination. Otherwise I pick up water as close to my destination as possible.

I use the RV antifreeze in the winter. In the spring after flushing out the anti freeze is when I flush/clean the tanks and lines using bleach & water mix and letting it sit in the system for a few hours before flushing it all out again with fresh water. If I know I have picked up some questionable water during the summer months I will do another bleach clean out part way through the summer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #24

New York
Registry
This is what I thought as well Carol. In fact, you taught me! I just had to do another summer bleach treatment for lost water. I do see some sense in leaving the Petcock drain open for air, when in my driveway. Just don't want any critters or insects to find a new home I guess!

Hoping you are well Carol. It's good to hear from you.

Wendy

Old 07-09-2014, 07:20 AM   #25

New York
Registry
Oops lousy water. My apologies!

Old 08-03-2014, 06:24 AM   #26

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I put deck plates in my tanks and dry them thoroughly and leave the plates off between uses. I also only use my well water to fill, but I have twin 20 gallon tanks, so I dont have to worry about running out.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #27

New York
Registry
I've read quite a bit about these deck plates. Are they a marine product? I'm assuming it allows a hole entrance for you to stick your hand in there and dry out the tank right?

I'll have to google to see what they look like. If they come in sizes, would you recommend one?

Cheers,
Wendy

Old 08-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I've read quite a bit about these deck plates. Are they a marine product? I'm assuming it allows a hole entrance for you to stick your hand in there and dry out the tank right?

I'll have to google to see what they look like. If they come in sizes, would you recommend one?

Cheers,
Wendy
You want one big enough to get your hand/arm through: WEST MARINE Screw-in Deck Plate, 6", Smooth, White | West Marine

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote