How to know if Grey and Black tanks are full? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-04-2006, 11:02 AM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
... the Grey Water vent goes through the counter top into the upper cabinet and out the roof. Do we really need this vent as we really don't want to put more holes in the counter than needed. We are planning to cap off this vent hose just below the counter...
Yes, I believe that you do need this vent. No manufacturer pays for the parts and labour to put in stuff unless people are asking for it (unlikely), it is legally required, or it is necessary to make the thing work. Certainly Neonex / Boler didn't spend any extra on my trailer!

The point of a plumbing vent is to allow air to enter the drain plumbing as the water drains, just as air must enter a bottle while you pour liquid from it or the liquid can't flow. That means a vent from each high point in the system, downstream of any traps (like the trap under the sink) because the point of the trap is to hold water and block airflow. The vents go through the roof because they must rise to avoid trapping water, and it's more pleasant for plumbing vents to emit potentially smelly gas above the roof than in your face at a wall outlet location.

The B1700RGH has two vents: the one that's in the way in the middle of the kitchen; and one over the bathroom. There's no good way to combine them because the interconnection would need to be at least as high as the sink trap.

To avoid the vent pipe running up through the counter, the only options I can think of are:
  1. run it out the side wall, at the back of the kitchen base cabinet, between the door and the kitchen window, out a new hole in the fiberglass; or,
  2. run it down through the floor under the cabinet, avoiding the greywater tank which is under the front part, and the frame, and ensuring that it is a single upside-down "U" shape so it does not form a liquid trap.
Either option could potentially be an odour problem, but this is just the grey water, so I suppose that's not a big deal. Both would mean sealing off the roof hole. The floor vent idea is Loren's, from [b]wet floor in bathroom, 13 ft. Scamp, Water leak; after that discussion I am convinced that this would work, but I don't know if it is legal.

I can't think of any reason why this vent pipe couldn't be tight against the wall (which would mean notching the counter), rather than out into the counter area the way it is. Maybe that would make it more tolerable?

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #16

Name: burton3
Trailer: 1978 17 ft Boler
Thanks Brian, and yes I supposed they wouldn't put anything there that wasn't needed would they...I think we will try capping it with a breathe hole in the cap and see if that works for now. The cap is still above the sink drain and the P-trap. If that doesn't work I think we will go with putting the pipe flush to the wall. Will let you all know how it works out! Can't wait till I can share some before and after pics...seems like we have been living and breathing Boler for weeks now!

Old 05-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #17

Alberta
Quote:
...I think we will try capping it with a breathe hole in the cap and see if that works for now. The cap is still above the sink drain and the P-trap...
That's an innovative idea, although I don't know if it will pass air freely enough to work well, and I'm a little nervous about a plumbing vent in occupied space, even if it is only greywater.

In the cabinet under the refrigerator and closet (in mine, anyway) there's a vertical piece of the same black ABS DWV (Drain/Waste/Vent) pipe with a fitting on the top. My understanding is that this is the air intake for the freshwater tank, to let in air as water is pumped out, but not allow water to splash out. Perhaps the same type of fitting would be appropriate for this indoor waste plumbing vent installation?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #18

Name: burton3
Trailer: 1978 17 ft Boler
I will take a look at the fresh water pipe. We hadn't planned to use the fresh water as it is so old I would just as soon get a new one rather than try to sanitze the old... Our Grey water tank is very brittle do you know how hard it is to find a replacement? Thanks again Brian B-P... I promise I will post pics soon!
Old 05-04-2006, 05:46 PM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Our Grey water tank is very brittle do you know how hard it is to find a replacement? Thanks again Brian B-P... I promise I will post pics soon!
Karen, did you checkout the Help-ful Links. There's even info specifically for a Boler, whether or not it's accurate

Help-ful Links - Water Tanks
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #20

Alberta
The Boler-specific link is for 13-foot Bolers; the 17-foot models use a larger and differently shaped tank, but the same supplier might have them. I think this came up in another forum - Benny, do you remember if there was a specific source and part number?

The fresh and grey tanks are both basically rectangular, with a step in each long side to sit on the support beams (angle irons). I've seen similar designs in tank listings, so I think it should be reasonable to find a replacement. The width (trailer front-to-back) would need to match well, and the 4" height from support to top (which is flush with the floor) would need to be a close match or smaller (with shimming), but the long dimension of each tank (trailer left-to-right) could be a bit different (especially with the freshwater tank) and it would still work. For the grey tank, a fitting would need to be added on the top for the sink drain, but that may not be too bad.

I only briefly looked for a grey tank before finding that the repair worked and I no longer needed one.

We looked at a B170RGH with a custom-made stainless steel tank, added by the last owner. He said he didn't like the taste added by the plastic tank. I guess that would work, but I think it would be expensive, especially for the grey tank which should have a nicely formed slope towards the discharge. We carry drinking water separately, and just use the fresh water from the built-in tank for washing and toilet flushing.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:44 PM   #21

Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
Registry
As for toilet paper - we use whatever we happen to have in our home. We usually camp at sites with no facilities so we keep a plastic bag in the bathroom for the "lightly" used toilet paper and this either goes in the garbage or burned in the fire pit (removed daily). Therefore we have not had to worry about "clogs" in the holding tank!!
Old 05-04-2006, 10:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi, Boler 77 on Bolerama site gave me a name of a company in Edmonton...can`t remember the name but he also mentioned that Polyrama made tanks but only for the 13' Bolers......try get a hold of him for more info....I believe that it was on the link and is Edmonton RV service.....Benny