Ins and outs of dumping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #21

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Cenex gas stations out west has free dumping. But I agree with camping with full hookups is the best especially when one forgets that the poo and gray water aren't going away. This is easy to forget when you are hooked up to water.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #22

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If you use full hookups don't make this mistake.

Leaving the tank valve of black water always open while hooked up to sewer at site. Water drains out leaving solids behind, you need the water in the tank to have some volumn.

Know someone that ended up with a rather large pile of problem in the black water tank from doing that.

You do the black water (toilet tank) first so when you do the gray water second (sink shower) your flushing the drain hose and/or common pipe between the two tanks.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Folks who have a porta potti or cassette toilet can dump their little tanks in any toilet.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I always get interesting looks when I'm walking across the campground carrying the bottom half of our Porta Potti. They can tell it's heavy going to the bathroom area, but much lighter coming back. I do the same thing with our portable gray water container, dumping in the toilet, unless there is a separate drain area for it. On the UHaul, the gray water line extends our the left bottom of the trailer and we hook up a Coleman water jug with a short length of hose to screw on to the outlet pipe. When we do full hook-ups, I run a length of garden hose from the outlet pipe to the ground sewer pipe. The only trick is getting the hose to run downhill as much as possible or the water won't drain out of the sinks.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
I always get interesting looks when I'm walking across the campground carrying the bottom half of our Porta Potti. .... The only trick is getting the hose to run downhill as much as possible or the water won't drain out of the sinks.
So you use the porta potti, how well does that work for you? Any problems? Have been thinking of purchasing PP for rustic camping.

Have you ever tried one of those expanding supports that people use under sewer hoses for your water drain hose?

The ones like this Slunky Sewer Hose Support - Product - Camping World
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #26

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I just spent 3 weeks in the Dakotas using a Coleman Portapotti and it works wonderfully. I had to empty it once during our trip and once after I got home. No odors for the most part and emptied out in a vault toilet with no mess. It gets heavy but not unbearably so. Cleaning it after the trip only took a few mins using fresh water and little bleach in the holding tank, sloshed it around really good and emptied it.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote