Instant Hot Water Heaters - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am at present time looking to buy a New FG RV.One option is the water heater.It is a Instant Hot Water Heater.
My question---Do they work? Pros and Cons would be nice.
Thank You
Old 11-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Chester,
Are you looking at 110 Volt or propane fueled? Many restaurants and service stations use the electric ones in their restrooms. Some fancy horsetrailers have propane ones for their tack rooms and horse cleanup. The propane one we have at home functions well enough for kitchen and one bathroom use. We've added a larger one for a second bathroom and laundry which is about 95 feet away from the original. The problem with the ones we have at home is their size. They are physically too large for our RV's. They might work with a large "sticky" which might have room to spare..

As I see it, you are stuck with needing hook-ups all the time, going without hot water, or using the multi-fueled tanks with which most of the newer TT's are equipt from the factory.
You could fire up a generator whenever hot water was required, but your campground neighbors might not appreciate your needs. Even with a Yamaha generator as quiet as mine, I don't operate it past sundown.

P.S. Check out what Mike found! A bit pricey @ nearly $900, but with a wind kit and cold weather kit your hot water problems would be solved.

Maybe someone else has discovered units which I've not seen, but those are my experiences.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Is this like what you are looking at:
http://www.houseneeds.com/Shop/HeatingProd...termainpage.htm
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I am at present time looking to buy a New FG RV.
Can't offer any opinions, the only instant hot water tank I have is the one on my kitchen sink..that I LOVE.

BUT, What RV are you looking to buy...inquiring minds want to know!!!

If you don't get any objective opinions, perhaps someone can help here: RV Net
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I was stationed in Germany back in the 60s and they used them in the camp grounds then and they worked really well.

They were also selling bottled watter which is now over a Billon $$ a year business. What I can't figure is what the heck takes us so long to get on the band waggon.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:44 AM   #6

Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
We purchased a unit from coleman called a hot water on demand. It is a really good alternative to the expensive units. It uses a propane bottle and it works really good. You can get the spray adapter for showering. www.coleman.com
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
I put an Aquastar (made by Bosch) into thte kitchen cabinet of my small Scamp.
I did have to do some modifications to make it fit and vent it but it runs off the propane and works very well. I decided against electric ones because when I wanted hot water it was more than a teacup or two. It does cost less than a quiet generator to power a larger capacity electric water heater.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-AquaStar-125B-...r/dp/B0006GVNZE
Thomas Haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
My wife and i put in an electric whole house hot water heater in our home in 1991...It is an 80a 220v unit made by Setsystem of North Carolina. It raises the ambiant water temp 100 degrees @ 6 gals per minute. We are very happy with it. Our electric bill went down over $20 a month and it paid for itself in less than 2 years.

Two showers can be taken at the same time or one shower and laundry and dish washer.

I have been considering an LP unit for the trailer and am very glad to see one specific for an RV application. I suppose it should go on my Christmas list for Santa

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:30 PM   #9

Trailer type is a Trillium--It has a propane Instant Hot water system.I got the info from them yesterday.The other thing is that it has a DC fridge and also a Small toilet in the front.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:54 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G) / Chevy Astro AWD
And i just purchased a brand new Atwood gas/electric water heater, to replace my older gas only water heater. I wish i had learned about that instant hot water heater alternative, a little sooner... Too bad.

How much does this thing costs?

Yves.
Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #11

(How much does this thing costs?)

Its part of unit options $695.00 CDN
Old 11-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
I am at present time looking to buy a New FG RV.One option is the water heater.It is a Instant Hot Water Heater.
Thank You
Some people might consider the additional up front cost a con but if you do any boondocking it would very quickly become a pro. I had a 1978 Boler 17 for about 3 weeks last summer and someone had installed one of these heaters in it. The main problem with it was lack of winter maintenance(if you get one be sure it is properly drained or protected against freezing). I think the best reason for going this route is getting rid of a 10-20 gal storage tank(100-200 lbs + empty tank weight), plus you gain valuable space. The unit in this Boler was mounted out in the open above the stove (not pretty but functional and almost no waste of counter space). I think most people who have used these little trailers would agree that weight and space are serious considerations. Go for it.
Bill

Name:   waterheater.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  5.4 KB
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:29 PM   #13

" I think most people who have used these little trailers would agree that weight and space are serious considerations"

Very good point.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:24 AM   #14

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Thank You
Check item #6054181187 on ebay. It is small enough to install on the wall behind your sink, has no standing pilot and only delivers 1.59 gpm and weighs only 10.25 lbs. I have a friend that has had one of these units for almost a year and loves it. The buy it know price is $169.00 plus shippping.
If I keep my Scamp I am going to order one.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:11 PM   #15

[size=4][i] I hate to be the devil's advocate but...
Beware! This unit is made in China (not all that bad), but it is not UL499 approved. One thing you'll have to do is to have a stainless steel double wall vent system which may make it a little impractical for a travel trailer, especially this size- but then again, it could work.
Larry Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
That is a very good price for a demand water heater.
You're right that it will take some configuring and modifications to the trailer to install it, but dang, that's a good price.
Thomas Haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:22 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel 1992
Hi Guy's

The unit their talking about FG RV, is a propane instant hot water heater
built for RV's, sized to fit in the same space as the existing hot water heater.

Retail price runs about 800-900, so your price of 695 isn't bad, the unit
has some good reviews on the bus conversion's sites.

regards
david
davidlebrun is offline   Reply With Quote