Leaking below the bathroom - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #1

Leaking below the bathroom

Hey everyone!
Just wondering- where should I take my Scamp (with the front bathroom layout) to get a leak around the PVC pipe in the floor? When you flush, it leaks around the pipe as it comes down out of the floor. Is it something I could probably fix with silicone (I'm a new lady Scamp owner).
Thanks in advance!
chris huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #2

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Do not use silicone on fiberglass. Maybe the toilet valve is leaking? Find the leak first, then seal around the pipe with ProFlex. It can be found at RV Parts places.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Scamp uses Sealand 711 toilets. The upper part is a separate part from the tank.
The seals from they tank to the drain or between the upper portion and the tank could need replacing. The other part that can leak and sometimes needs replacing is the the Water Valve. You can buy replacement parts at Scamp for both.

Here is a link to a PDF Manual for the Sealand 711 Traveler . It shows you how it all fits together or comes apart.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm... The Scamp front bath uses what is, basically, a giant porta-potty, a Loo with a built in holding tank that can be drained from the outside.

From the sound of your description it sounds like fresh water is leaking somewhere and working it's way down to the drain pipe. That might take some disassembly to find the culprit. I'll bet it's on the pressure side and caulk of any kind may not be a fix.

I'd look inside, behind the loo first to try to find exactly where the water is coming from.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Chris
Is the water running down the 3" Black ABS pipe under the trailer? Or is it leaking around your flush valve in the trailer?
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #6

So, it sounds like I need to take out the toilet and look for the leak. I'm sure hoping I can do it! I wonder if there's a video somewhere! Thanks everyone! :-)
Old 03-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #7

Eddie, it's running around the black PVC looking pipe that comes through the bottom of the trailer. I can take a picture tomorrow when it gets light outside! Thanks for trying to help!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It may be leaking in both places, out of the flush valve, down the outside of the base and then out to the ground via the dump tube opening.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'd suggest that you put some sort of colorant in the freshwater tank so you can see exactly where the water's coming out.

After adding the color, don't "flush" at first- give it time to see if it's just leaking from the holding tank first. If so, it may just need a new gasket.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #10

I'll try to check these out tomorrow if I can figure out how to take the toilet apart. Lord, help me, lol! I'll try to put a photo online tomorrow as well!
Thanks, everyone!
:-)
Old 03-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #11

Like Bob said fix the leak up top first. Could be flush valve or rubber gasket between the bowl and tank. There is a wide plastic trim ring around the base of the commode. It snaps apart right behind the flush valve, be careful not to break the locks. Once the trim ring is removed you should be able to find the upper leak. It is also a good Idea to put a plastic shut off valve on the water input line going to the commode.
Now the bottom leak. The tank sits on a wax seal. This seal keeps the shower water from running out under the commode. The black ABS pipe coming out of the trailer is screwed into the bottom of the tank and it is sealed with pipe dope. If your outside drain pipe can move back and forth you will need to reseal the drain pipe.
The problem is you can't unscrew the pipe because the pipe hits the frame. So you have to cut the pipe at the L to unscrew it to reseal it or replace the wax seal. If you have to cut the pipe call Scamp first and they will sell you what you need to replace your ABS plumbing. It is not as bad as it sounds but most all the ABS is glued together and can't be reused. You should also replace or rebuild your dump valve.
Its best to have repair parts in hand before tearing everything apart.
Eddie
Old 03-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #12

Chris
If the leak is between the bowl and tank you may fix it by tightening the four nuts that hold the bowl to the tank.
Eddie
Old 03-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #13

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I had a small leak in mine this spring caused by some water that was still in the flush valve, froze and cracked something even with the Scamp in the garage. The pink antifreeze does not get in there and we had some really cold weather. The RV repair replaced the flush valve for me. The part was not expensive, but the labor was time consuming because of the tight area it is in.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #14

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
And, no surface caulk is effective as a permanent repair.
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Chris
If the leak is between the bowl and tank you may fix it by tightening the four nuts that hold the bowl to the tank.
Eddie
I had to do that on mine once.

The other item I had replace this summer was the the ball inside the flush valve. It disintegrated with age and plugged the valve up. Was able to just take the valve apart clean out all the little pieces of plastic left over from the ball falling apart and replaced the ball - was less than a $3 part.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #16

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Forgot to add, that the RV place did a pressure test with air to see where the leak was. That's how they pinpointed the flush valve.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #17

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1394493544.469180.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	68805Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1394493585.546582.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	68806
Old 03-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #18

This is what is going on underneath!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #19

Registry
Chris it looks to me as though its leaking at the through hull fitting at the bottom of the tank. Seal bad or its not set tight enough. Could be wrong through it could be leaking elsewhere and the water is getting under the tank. I would test it with the trailer level - flush the tank a few times and see if you can see the water leaking from anyplace else. If not leaking elsewhere check the link I provided for a manual and lift the toilet and tank out to see whats going on.... may just be the seal.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
OR, you might need to remove the gate and remove the "J" PVC, it should just screw into the bottom of the tank. But, you may not be able to unscrew it if the gate is in the way of the frame.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote