leaky potti - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #1

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
leaky potti

We bought a Dometic potti for what seemed like too much money. It leaks!!!!!!!!!! Blue fluid dripped from the drain cap - which had been ok earlier in the week. Fortunately we noticed and got it outside in a hurry.

Are these things bothered by temperature changes causing alterations in presure? If not that - then what do you think is the problem?

If it leaks when just sitting in the campground I hate to think what the floor would look like after a long drive! Just thinking about it is GROSS!

I sure hope someone has some helpful suggestions for us.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #2

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I have found that my Thetford did swell up with pressure in hot weather! But never leaked. I've recently "upgraded" to a Dometic, I sure hope that wasn't a mistake, the Dometic looks a lot nicer, but I've yet to use it.

I'd start by emptying and cleaning it, checking the drain cap seal and trying to get it to leak some water for testing. If you got some "debris" on that seal that could lead to leaking.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #3

British Columbia
The drain on mine is up high and on the end of a rotating tube. It would have to be very full and sloshing a lot to leak there. What model do you have?

I have the 2.6 gallon version of this one:

products - Dometic
Old 09-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #4

Saskatchewan
Hubby bought the smallest one as it wasn't likely to be used very much (just me - at night!). Right now it is put away somewhere so I can't check the model number.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:27 AM   #5

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
We just bought a small Dometic (smallest one at Canadian Tire) and it leaked the first time we used it (eww!!) We aren't 100% positive why, but it was either a.) too full and got bumped and it spilled over somehow where the flush valve is (my thought) or b.) the emptying cap wasn't properly tightened or got bumped and loosened (hubby's thought).

We took it apart (emptied & cleaned it) & out it back together assuring the emptying lid was super tight & that the two side latches were properly latched. We also assured it didn't get too full before we emptied it. This isn't specific, but it worked for us, no more leaks. I think ours is the smallest model available, if yours is too, they seem to fill up quickly even if only for nighttime use (for the wife), so we emptied every two days.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #6

British Columbia
Do either of your Dometics look like the one pictured here? I'm curious if I need to be especially cautious. Mine will like get it's first use here and I'd be less than thrilled about a leak!

I think this one may actually be a rebranded Sealand that Dometic is selling.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #7

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Ours looks identical to this one (it isn't branded in the ad as Dometic & I was surprised when we got to Canadian tire & it was);

Name:   image-814216979.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  9.7 KB

It is super basic with a canister at the bottom for emptying, no pipe for outflow. It didn't leak at all after the first time, I think ours wasn't put together right or was overfull.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #8

Name: Lorene
Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe (a true 'Dream House'!)
Georgia
I put a puppy "piddle pad" under my potti. Hopefully that would catch any drip that might occur especially during travel.

The directions for my potti said to put vaseline on all the gaskets.

So far, no disasters!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #9

Saskatchewan
I have no idea what the instructions said that were with our potti - when we get something new hubby opens the box and tosses the filler and instructions! Ours is just like the picture bomni posted.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: Vixen Motor Coach
California
Registry
Leaky or not ... WOW Dylan! That is a really beautiful throne you have set up there. If I remember correctly, you used wood and really sanded and painted so it's a near match to fiberglass. Anyway, just really appreciate your quality craftsmanship!
Old 09-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chet View Post
Leaky or not ... WOW Dylan! That is a really beautiful throne you have set up there. If I remember correctly, you used wood and really sanded and painted so it's a near match to fiberglass. Anyway, just really appreciate your quality craftsmanship!
Thanks! Given the amount of time I spend in this thing, I wanted a nice potty! Yep, it's carefully crafted wood, carefully sanded, and my painter did several (many?) layers of primer and sanding before putting on the top glossy coat. It's not as shiny as the fiberglass gel coat, not an exact match, but they look good together.